Photo
- - - - -

CBC partners with Rogers in landmark NHL rights deal.

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

I am serious here, if Rogers wants this to work then they better gosh darn well get Jay & Dan on sportsnet...Get'r done Nadir

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#22 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

I am serious here, if Rogers wants this to work then they better gosh darn well get Jay & Dan on sportsnet...Get'r done Nadir

include Dreger, Ward, McKenzie, Lebrun Rogers has nothing even close to them and I hate SN

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#23 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

Too bad. I have always chosen TSN broadcasts over their American equivalents wherever possible, and it has always been my chief source for NHL news and highlights. And now that's all gone. Yikes.

What I can't fathom is why TSN was unwilling to match; it's a sports-only network, and hockey is Canada's most-watched sport by a huge margin. its loss of all NHL programming is going to hurt REALLY bad. CBC is perhaps in even deeper doo-doo. Hockey was their biggest cash cow. Where's all that money going to come from now?

All told, this was a pretty awful day for Canadian TV.

Edited by Crymson, 26 November 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#24 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

Ah ton of people will just stop watching the NHL so I hope the BOG is finally coming to their senses and doesn't accept such a piss poor company like Rogers. Only fitting a lockout hat-trick and now a contract with a company that is known for horrible customer service. Not only a bad day for Hockey Canada a bad day for hockey worldwide.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#25 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

I prefer TSN as well but this isn't really anything new. TSN lost the rights to broadcast hockey as recently as 1998 to 2002 and during that period they still covered the game extensively.

They just won't have the games themselves, they'll still lead off every Sportscenter with Hockey, they'll still cover the Draft, trade deadline, and Free Agent Frenzy, and they'll still have their hockey programs like Hockey Central.

As hockey fans we should be happy, the game is going from a network that aired it on only 2 channels to a network that is going to air it on 5 or 6, they are also getting rid of local blackouts so while we may not be getting the games covered by the analysts and play by play men we want, we're still getting more games, and the revenue for the league is going through the roof because of this deal.

Looks like the HNIC theme song has been played for the last time for a while though, unless TSN sells its rights to Rogers. 

#26 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

Too bad. I have always chosen TSN broadcasts over their American equivalents wherever possible, and it has always been my chief source for NHL news and highlights. And now that's all gone. Yikes.

What I can't fathom is why TSN was unwilling to match; it's a sports-only network, and hockey is Canada's most-watched sport by a huge margin. its loss of all NHL programming is going to hurt REALLY bad. CBC is perhaps in even deeper doo-doo. Hockey was their biggest cash cow. Where's all that money going to come from now?

All told, this was a pretty awful day for Canadian TV.

HNIC is staying on CBC, they will be fine.

#27 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

This was sad...

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Pains me to report this, but NHL closing in on landmark CDN TV deal with two CDN networks. Many years (10+), many billions. #overandout

@adater: I think it says it all that the big scoop about TSN losing its NHL rights to a rival was broken by @TSNBobMcKenzie

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 26 November 2013 - 07:07 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#28 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

60 minute conference.

http://video.nhl.com...nsole?id=494903

#29 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

Don't know what to think other than the fact that I don't usually like monopolies.  

Sportsnet has Nick Kypreous, Doug Maclean ... enough said.  They better start poaching TSN guys to go over. 

Livestream for the win ... don't support Rogers empire ... oh I forgot, 1/2 the people in Canada get their internet through Rogers  :eh:

Edited by RedWingsRox, 26 November 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#30 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

Don't know what to think other than the fact that I don't usually like monopolies.  

Sportsnet has Nick Kypreous, Doug Maclean ... enough said.  They better start poaching TSN guys to go over. 

Livestream for the win ... don't support Rogers empire ... oh I forgot, 1/2 the people in Canada get their internet through Rogers  :eh:

I hate Rogers, but to be fair, TSN had 15 years head start on getting panelist. I bet half those TSN guys are lining up right now for a job.

#31 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

Yes and No. HNIC will still be on CBC but they no longer get any of the revenue from ad sales during the broadcast.

The only positive for them is that they can promote their other shows during the broadcasts in the hopes of improving their ratings on non-hockey broadcasts.

This really isn't a good deal for CBC.

#32 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

nhl-rogers-ink-deal.jpg

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#33 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

The money they've been making from it will be vastly reduced.

It's unbelievable how one company can have so much influence, how about the anti monopol lawys? For hockeyfans this sucks, but I am also not surprised the NHL doesn't care about quality heck they would have given the rights to Brazil is they've paid the most, just the way this **** midget operates.

Nothing Rogers has, will ever come close to the quality of TSN.

So you're saying that Gary Bettman actually wants to make money for his company? Isn't that his job?

#34 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

Sad day for Canadian hockey fans. TSN is great. SN sucks even worse then those idiots on CBC that called Datsyuk a diver.

#35 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Yes and No. HNIC will still be on CBC but they no longer get any of the revenue from ad sales during the broadcast.

The only positive for them is that they can promote their other shows during the broadcasts in the hopes of improving their ratings on non-hockey broadcasts.

This really isn't a good deal for CBC.

For there sakes they should be happy they got anything, they will make a ton of money still from the games and playoffs. Rogers could have moped the floor up and not included them into anything.

#36 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

For there sakes they should be happy they got anything, they will make a ton of money still from the games and playoffs. Rogers could have moped the floor up and not included them into anything.

That's the thing...CBC will make nothing off of Hockey any more. 100% of all the Ad revenue generated goes to Rogers. CBC is actually paying more than they are now just to be able to air games, and that's only for 4 years of the 12 year deal. The only positive for them is that it keeps people tuning into the network so they can promote shows that they do own.

Rogers also has complete creative control over CBC's HNIC broacasts. They could fire Ron Maclean and Don Cherry tomorrow and replace them with Joe Bowen and Nick Kypreos if they wanted.

#37 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

That's the thing...CBC will make nothing off of Hockey any more. 100% of all the Ad revenue generated goes to Rogers. CBC is actually paying more than they are now just to be able to air games, and that's only for 4 years of the 12 year deal. The only positive for them is that it keeps people tuning into the network so they can promote shows that they do own.

Rogers also has complete creative control over CBC's HNIC broacasts. They could fire Ron Maclean and Don Cherry tomorrow and replace them with Joe Bowen and Nick Kypreos if they wanted.

Rogers has already said they are keeping HNIC the exact same. That may change in a year or two (obviously not pertaining to Cherry and Maclean as they are going nowhere).

#38 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

TSN clearly has the best analysts, panelists, insiders etc..no question about that.  There is no doubt in my mind and anyone else's that a bunch of these guys will be jumping ship.  What this means is more hockey for Canadian viewers.  TSN has 2 channels, TSN and TSN2 with some local broadcasting sprinkled in...Rogers has Sportsnet, Sportsnet1, Sportsnet 360 which they just bought from the score as well as regional broadcasts and they have vowed there will be no more blackouts which isn't a  big deal for myself but for other people it is.  The CBC is in trouble for sure....the station bleeds money and HNIC is the only thing keeping them semi alive.  If you live in Canada and you can name one good show on CBC besides HNIC you're a better man than I lol.  I don't care who broadcasts hockey, I just hope they do it right.  It's gamecenter for me for Wing's games anyways.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#39 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

Rogers has already said they are keeping HNIC the exact same. That may change in a year or two (obviously not pertaining to Cherry and Maclean as they are going nowhere).

Maybe they will maybe they wont. The point is they can do whatever they want with HNIC, and CBC has no say whatsoever.

#40 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:52 AM

According to Wiki the NFL gets about $4.9B/yr  and MLB ~$1.7B/yr.

This deal looks good but after wondering and finding out what the big sports get per year, this is funny. Those are US contracts but looking up the US contract for the NHL, it's only $200M per season. LOL

LOFREAKINGL NHL!

Edited by dragonballgtz, 27 November 2013 - 12:55 AM.