Photo
- - - - -

CBC partners with Rogers in landmark NHL rights deal.

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:46 AM

TSN clearly has the best analysts, panelists, insiders etc..no question about that.  There is no doubt in my mind and anyone else's that a bunch of these guys will be jumping ship.  What this means is more hockey for Canadian viewers.  TSN has 2 channels, TSN and TSN2 with some local broadcasting sprinkled in...Rogers has Sportsnet, Sportsnet1, Sportsnet 360 which they just bought from the score as well as regional broadcasts and they have vowed there will be no more blackouts which isn't a  big deal for myself but for other people it is.  The CBC is in trouble for sure....the station bleeds money and HNIC is the only thing keeping them semi alive.  If you live in Canada and you can name one good show on CBC besides HNIC you're a better man than I lol.  I don't care who broadcasts hockey, I just hope they do it right.  It's gamecenter for me for Wing's games anyways.

This. Sure if it's on one of those 8 channels they are going to use then I will watch the Wings game on there, otherwise I will still continue to use hockeystreams.com for my games.

#42 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

The money they've been making from it will be vastly reduced.

So you're saying that Gary Bettman actually wants to make money for his company? Isn't that his job?

If someone would ask me, what his job is I'd rather not answer, being responsible for 3 lockouts, the absolute opposite of what hockey stands for and not giving Canada it's teams back...should get every commissioner fired.  This deal is just another shortterm solution, I read somewhere that around 40 % of Canadians are able to get CBC but 100 % are getting TSN - huge difference given how hockeycrazy this country is.

Giving an evil company lead by an evil man such a monopoly over hockey, is never a good thing. Rogers can now basicallyc harge whatever they want, because they own the whole package. SN just sucks, even if they improve it I highly doubt, it will be anywhere close to the expected professionalism from TSN and that to me is a mistake.

Another funny note, the BOG meeting will be held soon and yet Rogers THEMSELVES is allowed to have a vote in there (because they also own the Leafs)...sometimes I'm wondering why countries are having anti monopoly lawys.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#43 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

If someone would ask me, what his job is I'd rather not answer, being responsible for 3 lockouts, the absolute opposite of what hockey stands for and not giving Canada it's teams back...should get every commissioner fired.  This deal is just another shortterm solution, I read somewhere that around 40 % of Canadians are able to get CBC but 100 % are getting TSN - huge difference given how hockeycrazy this country is.

Giving an evil company lead by an evil man such a monopoly over hockey, is never a good thing. Rogers can now basicallyc harge whatever they want, because they own the whole package. SN just sucks, even if they improve it I highly doubt, it will be anywhere close to the expected professionalism from TSN and that to me is a mistake.

Another funny note, the BOG meeting will be held soon and yet Rogers THEMSELVES is allowed to have a vote in there (because they also own the Leafs)...sometimes I'm wondering why countries are having anti monopoly lawys.

But he is typically more of a figure head than anything.

A lockout is between the owners AND the players. But bettman and fehr get the bad rep cause they represent them.

Bettsman job is to make the owners money and he has done a good job of it. That's why the OWNERS keep him around and pay him so much.

Now whether you agree with everything that's done or not is up to you. I know I certainly don't. But you need to direct your frustrations at the right people.

And I for one font care who has the contracts in Canada as I don't live there. But if he took the deal that was worth the most money he did is job the way he is suppose to. Its not his fault some network wants to slack off and not offer up the $$$.

#44 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

But he is typically more of a figure head than anything.

A lockout is between the owners AND the players. But bettman and fehr get the bad rep cause they represent them.

Bettsman job is to make the owners money and he has done a good job of it. That's why the OWNERS keep him around and pay him so much.

Now whether you agree with everything that's done or not is up to you. I know I certainly don't. But you need to direct your frustrations at the right people.

And I for one font care who has the contracts in Canada as I don't live there. But if he took the deal that was worth the most money he did is job the way he is suppose to. Its not his fault some network wants to slack off and not offer up the $$$.

Sadly, he is more than that he is annoying, comes off like a regime-boss and really doesn't do anything for the game/fans nor the integrity. It's also well known, that not all owners are happy with him.

Think about the contract long not shortterm:

60 % less Canadiens are going to be able to watch NHL hockey now, even if 15 - 28 % of them would a Rogers package, that's still a lot less viewers than other the former umbrella. Other NHL sponsors like Reebok, Nike, McD will *not* renew at the same condictions if the ratings are down and their biggest market = Canada is losing interest because of such a deal. This then could also mean, that they are losing more overall than what the NHL has "gained" with this new monopolistic contract.

It's the same thing with people buying houses in areas, which are NOW expensive but completely forgetting how some (lesser known) areas are going to explode in the future because of landscape and all that stuff.

Leaving TSN completely out of this, will backfire mark my words :)

kftx.jpg

#45 metalkorn

metalkorn

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

I blame Jay and Dan for leaving TSN... seems to be the go to point for most Canadiens when it comes to decreased ratings.

A decision like this could cripple TSN as a viable network. What is their fallback? KHL coverage, more Junior coverage? More fricken Curling?

They still have the World Championships and Juniors (and Olympics of course being part of Bell) but their coverage and investment in Hockey panel shows becomes much less appealing without and hockey to compliment it.

#46 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

I blame Jay and Dan for leaving TSN... seems to be the go to point for most Canadiens when it comes to decreased ratings.

A decision like this could cripple TSN as a viable network. What is their fallback? KHL coverage, more Junior coverage? More fricken Curling?

They still have the World Championships and Juniors (and Olympics of course being part of Bell) but their coverage and investment in Hockey panel shows becomes much less appealing without and hockey to compliment it.

A lot of people didn't like Jay and Dan. I didn't mind them, but a lot of there stuff was not really funny. I prefer Tim and Sid over them, I just wish they did highlight reels as well as a 3 hour sports show.

#47 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

I don't care who broadcasts hockey, I just hope they do it right.  It's gamecenter for me for Wing's games anyways.

Hear, hear!

Though I'm not Canadian, so I guess I can't really talk. (TSN...CBC...none of this really means anything to me.)

Edited by Dabura, 27 November 2013 - 06:34 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#48 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

On a positive note, the salary cap is expected to go up 10mil in the next 18 months.

Link

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#49 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

dolighan_cartoon_nov2813.jpg

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#50 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

Sadly, he is more than that he is annoying, comes off like a regime-boss and really doesn't do anything for the game/fans nor the integrity. It's also well known, that not all owners are happy with him.

Think about the contract long not shortterm:
60 % less Canadiens are going to be able to watch NHL hockey now, even if 15 - 28 % of them would a Rogers package, that's still a lot less viewers than other the former umbrella. Other NHL sponsors like Reebok, Nike, McD will *not* renew at the same condictions if the ratings are down and their biggest market = Canada is losing interest because of such a deal. This then could also mean, that they are losing more overall than what the NHL has "gained" with this new monopolistic contract.

It's the same thing with people buying houses in areas, which are NOW expensive but completely forgetting how some (lesser known) areas are going to explode in the future because of landscape and all that stuff.

Leaving TSN completely out of this, will backfire mark my words :)

How do 60% less get to see it now? Idk how cable works in Canada.

Here in America you either get cable or satellite or whatever and you can have a basic package with like 20 stations(none are premium sports stations but do include the local stuff like fox and NBC and CBS) or you get like extended cable and you get everything(not including the premium stuff like HBO, star, NHL package etc etc). It does include the NBC sports network and you get to see your local teams on fox sports Detroit(or whatever location you're from). Or you just choose to not get cable in which you can only watch the games on NBC on sunday if they still have them(i honestly haven't even looked).

Edited by DeGraa55, 27 November 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#51 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

This friggin sucks, Sportsnet analysts are awful and the commentators are all raging homers. TSN has some of the best in the industry (McKenzie Dreger Ferraro Cuthbert Miller and more), it's a real shame.

#52 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

From Toronto Star, Rogers NHL Deal: 10 things you should know.

#53 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

Does any one know how this will affect center ice? Will I still be able to watch all the wings games???? with the fsn Detroit feed

Posted Image

#54 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

Does any one know how this will affect center ice? Will I still be able to watch all the wings games???? with the fsn Detroit feed

I'm not sure why it would affect American broadcasting like FSN. As far as Center Ice is concerned, you will see more Sportsnet broadcasts for games in Canada as opposed to TSN and CBC. 

Watching the Van-Ott game on Sportsnet right now and it's just awful compared to TSN and CBC.  Normally I look forward to the discussion between periods, but with Sportsnet it's just cringe-worthy.

The difference is just unbelievable.  I would honestly put Sportsnet on par wiith non-hockey markets in the US.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#55 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

I'm not sure why it would affect American broadcasting like FSN. As far as Center Ice is concerned, you will see more Sportsnet broadcasts for games in Canada as opposed to TSN and CBC. 

Watching the Van-Ott game on Sportsnet right now and it's just awful compared to TSN and CBC.  Normally I look forward to the discussion between periods, but with Sportsnet it's just cringe-worthy.

The difference is just unbelievable.  I would honestly put Sportsnet on par wiith non-hockey markets in the US.

In 5 years this will be the complete opposite. Once they get proper analysts this will all change.

Like I said earlier, TSN had 15 year advantage on NHL then Sportsnet.

Edited by darkmanx, 28 November 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#56 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

In 5 years this will be the complete opposite. Once they get proper analysts this will all change.

Like I said earlier, TSN had 15 year advantage on NHL then Sportsnet.

For sure, I definitely agree it will improve over their current standard.  As long as the price is right...They do essentially have a monopoly now in Canada and this is Rogers we're talking about.

Regardless I'm sure they take some ideas from TSN, CBC, and NBC and probably snag a couple staff in the process.

Vince Lombardi

#57 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

For sure, I definitely agree it will improve over their current standard.  As long as the price is right...They do essentially have a monopoly now in Canada and this is Rogers we're talking about.

Regardless I'm sure they take some ideas from TSN, CBC, and NBC and probably snag a couple staff in the process.

Think about it:

Don Cherry, Dreger, Lebrun, MacKenzie, Ward (I thought he was doing a fantastic job), Duthie, R. Maclean - all these guys are institutions not just in Canada worldiwde. Rogers has nothing even close to their professionalism, personality and knowledge..read somewhere the two sides were around 200k apart thats absolutely nothing and TSN didn't even get the change to match that deal, so horrible.

Personally I am not interested in stats and all that stuff but having a good pre intermission and postgame show with guys, that know what they are talking about gives hockey another nice dimension.

kftx.jpg

#58 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

More "Face Time" for Tim & Sid ?

24044_brando_the_horror.jpg

From The Score:

Don Cherry will wait until this weekend's "Hockey Night in Canada" to weigh in on the future of the flagship hockey broadcast.

CBC says that during his "Coach's Corner" segment Cherry will address this week's announcement that Rogers Communications has gained national broadcast and multimedia rights to all NHL games starting next hockey season.

The high-profile hockey commentator is also expected to discuss his possible role in the new "Hockey Night in Canada." 

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 29 November 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#59 bogeygolfer

bogeygolfer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

I dont understand why everyone really cares, I mean it looks like between city and CBC there are going to be more or the same amount of over the air games atleast for the next 4 years. And with all the extra content sportsnet is going to need hire more on air talent, probably going to scoop up a lot of the people who are layed of from CBC/tsn. Don Cherry has been doing grapeline with sportsnet the fan 590 for 30 years, I sure they'd sign him if he was interested.

There is also been some speculation from guys like john shannon that since rogers now has control of gamecentre, you could see them offer specific team packages.

#60 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

I dont understand why everyone really cares, I mean it looks like between city and CBC there are going to be more or the same amount of over the air games atleast for the next 4 years. And with all the extra content sportsnet is going to need hire more on air talent, probably going to scoop up a lot of the people who are layed of from CBC/tsn. Don Cherry has been doing grapeline with sportsnet the fan 590 for 30 years, I sure they'd sign him if he was interested.

There is also been some speculation from guys like john shannon that since rogers now has control of gamecentre, you could see them offer specific team packages

People don't exactly have a lot of faith in Rogers' creative control especially with a monopoly.  They've gotten a well-earned bad reputation in Canada.

Vince Lombardi