• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ekmanc

Ericsson re-signed 6-yrs $4.25 mill AAV

Rate this topic

These are the type of contracts where Holland does his best work. He is really good at keeping valuable players of the organization around long-term on deals that are typically pretty cap friendly. E has developed into a very steady and reliable d-man.

Right now, the Red Wings defense is in shambles, but the future looks bright. Kronner, E, DeKeyser, Smith all here plus promising prospects coming like Ouellet, Sproul and maybe Almqvist. Not sure where Kindl falls, but Quincey has no place after this season.

Edited by GoWings1905

I wish LGW of three years ago could see this thread, and I wish I could see their shock at how much we are praising their whipping boy.

Of 3 years ago? how about last season!

I'm happy to have him here, he hasn't stood out as screwing up so must mean he is doing a good job :)

Guest DeGraa55

Dekeyser is our best defender in my opinion, but I definitely like this signing and cap hit

Ya I agree. I think they're both up there. Just depends on which game I'm watching to who I put on top.

Maybe well agree that they're top 2?

Good deal here I don't see any troubles with it now or in the future.

I just hope the only other defense-men we lock up long term would be Dekeyser. Let Smith and Kindl have another season to see where exactly they will end up. Save some room on the blue line because chances are Sproul and maybe even Qelleut could be great players and demand some salary.

No complaints here. 5-6 years was ideal term imo, and the money is very reasonable. He'll be a key guy looking at the d-men we have in the pipeline. Ericsson is steady and reliable and a great partner to Smith/Sproul/Almqvist.

Good signing. To me, this is a testament to his work ethic and also the Wings' coaching. It is worth noting that much of his development has come even after Nick retired. It also makes me feel good about Babs (and by extension Brendan Smith) to know that a guy whose problems were between the ears can come along so far by reinforcing fundamentals, making the simple plays and not trying to emulate the Perfect Human.

Also Hakan Andersson once again finds a gem.

When you consider that Ericsson wasn't converted to defense until he was an 18 year old, it's pretty amazing that he's a top pairing guy in the NHL.

At his age, with his ability, he easily could have gotten 5-6 mil on the open market for probably the same term. To think that we're paying a guy who went from extremely late-round draft pick to middle-pair up-and-comer to top-pairing shut-down man in the span of a few years less than 5 mil per year in today's NHL is awesome. That progression warrants AT LEAST a 2 mil pay raise. This is only 1 mil more than he was making. This is an excellent contract. Glad to hear that Big E will be around for a good, long time.

I wished I could be picked last for something, where 290 other people get picked first, and then eventually turn that into a 25.5M pay day.

Nice job Big Rig!!

No doubt. One spot away from a job on the line at Volvo. So close to a completely different life.

. But instead, he's living the dream, and built his dream home

Dont you ever wonder..

Maybe if you took a left turn, instead of taking that right

Youd be somebody quite different-Dave Matthews

I'm happy! What a progress. From the sole reason we are loosing to a guy who is steady day in and day out. Beleive me a couple of years from now Kindl will be as good as Ericsson now.

why is my first reaction in the last 5 years every time the Wings sign somebody.....that they overpaid. I don't claim to be an expert i just think that in general we overpay for middle talent yet can't land big talent

Firstly, this isn't an over-payment, this is dead on the market value for a 29 year old top-4 defenceman who is a pending UFA.

Good for Ericsson, he always had the tools, it was just a matter of putting it all together. His painful performance in the 2010 playoffs seems like a lifetime away.

This is DK money not Ericsson.. DK is way better and should and will be top 2 D on Wings starting next year if not sooner. Bad signing.

Lol there's always one. Ericsson has earned this contract, and he deserves every penny of it, he has come a long long way over the past couple years and is now looking quite comfortable in a top 2 role. Dk will probably get the same contract for 4 years then a big raise.

This is DK money not Ericsson.. DK is way better and should and will be top 2 D on Wings starting next year if not sooner. Bad signing.

Um Kronwall and Stuart got paid how much as second pairing? Do you really think your ever going to get a solid second pairing for like 2.5 or something? Ericsson could be a number 2 but even if DK becomes our number one what a great number 3 we have.

Have no idea what to expect DD to get. He hasn't played a full season but he is easily a top 3 defensemen on this team with a lot of upside.

If we're lucky we can get him to a relatively cheap 4-6 year deal, one of those that seem like total steals at the end of them.

2 years too many but other than that, I like the deal.

Not so sure. He may very likely be hitting his prime right now. The next 2-4 years could be the best hockey he plays in his career. Making it a 4 year deal could mean we have to give him a raise just as he's starting to decline. Ideally you don't want to have to re-sign a player right when he's at his career peak, if you can avoid it.

Um Kronwall and Stuart got paid how much as second pairing? Do you really think your ever going to get a solid second pairing for like 2.5 or something? Ericsson could be a number 2 but even if DK becomes our number one what a great number 3 we have.

This is kinda what I'm thinking.

Ericsson has become a solid #2 for us. Should he get bumped down the depth chart (maybe DeKeyser surpasses him, maybe we add someone), he'll be a really solid #3 or #4.

My issue with our defense is that we don't really have a top four. We have Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser...and a big black hole. Hopefully Smith and Kindl can raise their games sooner rather than later. Even Kevin Weekes mentioned it - we don't have a great puck-moving defenseman, and it's hurting us. That hole has to be filled if we want to seriously compete for the Cup.

But I wouldn't change anything about Ericsson right now. He's become one of my favorite active Red Wings. I guess he could be a little meaner, more physical - but it's pretty clear by now that that's just not his style. Can't force things like that. Gotta play your game, be yourself.

Meh, $250,000 isn't gonna make me sweat too much...I hate it, but it's the market dictating these overpaid athletes...isn't this why we a TWO lockouts?

We still need a REAL #1 guy back there though...Ericsson nor Kronwall is it. DeKeyser will be it in a few years, yet needs to stay healthy, so far he has been injury prone...