• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

I was one of the biggest defenders of Ericsson back then but honestly he's even exceeded my expectations. 

I figured his top end would be a solid middle pairing guy.  And even that would've been a great return on their asset by the Red Wings given he's a dead last draft pick. 

E has stepped up his physical game in front of the net, he's got the great first pass (including the occasional Rafalski long bombs), and most importantly he's become very poised in the defensive end.

I never saw it coming.  But considering hindsight is 20/20, it makes you wonder if being a forward all those years ago helped him get to the next level?  Most defensemen who are his size and taken late in the draft have skating issues.  Ericsson skates pretty well.  With his size and ability to skate he's got all the tools, he just needed to learn positioning and decision making.  But those are teachable.  Try teaching someone like Hal Gill to skate like Ericsson. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Ericsson probably looked terrible when he was draft age because he hadn't been playing defense long and his decision making and positioning were likely lacking.  But if you looked at it from a "he's huge and can skate" angle, and assumed the other assets would come with experience, then it's not really a surprise that he's as good as he is. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#22 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

:clap:  way to be kenny!

this looks like a good deal now, and it'll look like a great deal towards the end of the contract.

I like the progress E has continued to show.. 

no complaints about this contract

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#23 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

Good signing.  To me, this is a testament to his work ethic and also the Wings' coaching.  It is worth noting that much of his development has come even after Nick retired.  It also makes me feel good about Babs (and by extension Brendan Smith) to know that a guy whose problems were between the ears can come along so far by reinforcing fundamentals, making the simple plays and not trying to emulate the Perfect Human. 

works every time

#24 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

I like this deal a lot. Its not for too long like a couple guys we got. And the cap hit is about right. It might even be less tbenn what he can get on the open market....def our best defender.

Dekeyser is our best defender in my opinion, but I definitely like this signing and cap hit

#25 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

No complaints here.  Great price.  Less than market value.  Long-term contracts are always a little scary, but the cap should keep going up and values will continue to be inflated on the free agent market, so it's a steal.  And it takes us right up to the next inevitable lockout, too, probably.

This helps the Wings in the off-season, too.  Saves us some cap space to aggressively target some higher level options.  Plus, players will be more likely to come here if Kronwall and Ericsson are both locked up.  That pretty much guarantees that the newcomer won't have to shoulder the burden of protecting the net themselves.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#26 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

Good deal. Less than what he would have received on the UFA market. I figured he would be in the 5 mill per range. .75 million per year less and his contract is up when he is 35, so not terribly old.

#27 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

These are the type of contracts where Holland does his best work. He is really good at keeping valuable players of the organization around long-term on deals that are typically pretty cap friendly. E has developed into a very steady and reliable d-man. 

Right now, the Red Wings defense is in shambles, but the future looks bright. Kronner, E, DeKeyser, Smith all here plus promising prospects coming like Ouellet, Sproul and maybe Almqvist. Not sure where Kindl falls, but Quincey has no place after this season. 

Edited by GoWings1905, 27 November 2013 - 12:19 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#28 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

Happy with this deal, almost love it only 250k more than I expected which is nothing.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#29 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

Pretty fair deal I suppose. We'll be seeing big E for awhile now...

#30 metalkorn

metalkorn

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

I wish LGW of three years ago could see this thread, and I wish I could see their shock at how much we are praising their whipping boy.

Of 3 years ago? how about last season!

I'm happy to have him here, he hasn't stood out as screwing up so must mean he is doing a good job :)

#31 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

Dekeyser is our best defender in my opinion, but I definitely like this signing and cap hit

Ya I agree. I think they're both up there. Just depends on which game I'm watching to who I put on top.

Maybe well agree that they're top 2?

#32 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

Good deal.

I like that we have Big E and DD as our big defensive dmen. When/if Smith ever evolves into the player he is capable of being, the homegrown defense is looking pretty good.

Posted Image

#33 wingslionstigers

wingslionstigers

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Good deal here I don't see any troubles with it now or in the future.

I just hope the only other defense-men we lock up long term would be Dekeyser. Let Smith and Kindl have another season to see where exactly they will end up. Save some room on the blue line because chances are Sproul and maybe even Qelleut could be great players and demand some salary.

#34 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

No complaints here. 5-6 years was ideal term imo, and the money is very reasonable. He'll be a key guy looking at the d-men we have in the pipeline. Ericsson is steady and reliable and a great partner to Smith/Sproul/Almqvist.

#35 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

Good signing.  To me, this is a testament to his work ethic and also the Wings' coaching.  It is worth noting that much of his development has come even after Nick retired.  It also makes me feel good about Babs (and by extension Brendan Smith) to know that a guy whose problems were between the ears can come along so far by reinforcing fundamentals, making the simple plays and not trying to emulate the Perfect Human. 

Also Hakan Andersson once again finds a gem. 

When you consider that Ericsson wasn't converted to defense until he was an 18 year old, it's pretty amazing that he's a top pairing guy in the NHL.

#36 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

Agreed.

Double D is likely to get more for longer term.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#37 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

At his age, with his ability, he easily could have gotten 5-6 mil on the open market for probably the same term.  To think that we're paying a guy who went from extremely late-round draft pick to middle-pair up-and-comer to top-pairing shut-down man in the span of a few years less than 5 mil per year in today's NHL is awesome.  That progression warrants AT LEAST a 2 mil pay raise.  This is only 1 mil more than he was making.  This is an excellent contract.  Glad to hear that Big E will be around for a good, long time.

#38 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

His cap hit is only .5 million more than Q's. That's roughly 13-15% more. Who thinks E is 15% better than Quincey? This is a great signing.

#39 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

This is DK money not Ericsson.. DK is way better and should and will be top 2 D on Wings starting next year if not sooner. Bad signing. 

#40 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

I wished I could be picked last for something, where 290 other people get picked first, and then eventually turn that into a 25.5M pay day.

Nice job Big Rig!!

No doubt. One spot away from a job on the line at Volvo. So close to a completely different life.

. But instead, he's living the dream, and built his dream home

Dont you ever wonder..
Maybe if you took a left turn, instead of taking that right
Youd be somebody quite different-Dave Matthews