• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kmahrle83

IMO maybe the law should be brought into it.

Rate this topic

Watching the blatantly purposeful elbow on Datsyuk's face had me thinking. Why shouldn't the players be held legally responsible for actions that are deemed purposeful intent to injure? Now, before you all get your panties in a bunch and say hockey is a rough sport etc etc...I'm not talking every headshot or big questionable hit. I'm talking CLEAR CUT intent to injure another player through physical means.

Hitting and rough stuff is part of hockey, true. But the NHL has stated several times that it wants to make players safer by eliminating head shots etc. Well, I'm pretty sure that if players knew they'd have to actually legally answer for their malicious attacks on opposing players, they'd definitely think twice about doing it. As it is now they "MIGHT" get a suspension and/or fine. That's not enough. These guys make millions a year. If I was a millionaire and wanted to hurt someone knowing that I wouldn't go to jail, I'd gladly pay 10 grand to sucker punch a guy I hate.

Furthermore, when I played hockey a guy on an opposing team broke his stick slashing a teammates wrist so hard that he fractured it in 3 places. Not only was he kicked from the league, but the police were waiting with bracelets for him to get out of the dressing room. He was charged with assault and battery. Just because NHL players are pro athletes shouldn't make them exempt from certain parts of the law. There are legal hits in the game, and non legal hits. But if a non legal hit borders physical assault on another human being, I'm sorry but they should be forced to pay for their actions.

Now some would say "but then they wouldn't be allowed to fight". Wrong, usually a fight takes place between two WILLING players who know what they're getting into. Cheap shots usually happen when one player can't control his emotions and takes a cheap run at an UNSUSPECTING player.

Some examples:

http://youtu.be/9gbKfRiGoCU

In each of these there is clear intent to injure. Now, say I'm playing in a local league game and decide to swing my stick at another players head, busting his head open and concussing him. More than likely I could be charged with assault with a deadly weapon. So why is it ok to do just because you're a professional athlete?

I'm not here to argue, I just want to hear everyone's theories on why this is allowed in sports and why the law could/couldn't be involved.

Discuss!

Edited by Kmahrle83

The law is brought in in extreme cases. Bertuzzi, McSorley, Boulerice, Ciccarelli.

The fact that you think the elbow on Datsyuk is worthy of criminal charges says it all. It's a slippery slope and highly subjective.

I don't see how the fact that they're millionaires is relevant to anything.

The law is brought in in extreme cases. Bertuzzi, McSorley, Boulerice, Ciccarelli.

The fact that you think the elbow on Datsyuk is worthy of criminal charges says it all. It's a slippery slope and highly subjective.

I don't see how the fact that they're millionaires is relevant to anything.

Nowhere did I say the datsyuk elbow should be turned to the law. Maybe your english comprehension sucks but I said that it got me thinking. The fact that they're millionaires just makes it a joke that the league will fine them a measly 10 grand. Fine them 100 grand for these dirty plays and see how they respond. To a guy who makes 4 mil a year, 10 grand is pocket change.

Guest DeGraa55

Like the previous guy said they do get involved in the extreme circumstances. Its fine the way it is.

Nowhere did I say the datsyuk elbow should be turned to the law. Maybe your english comprehension sucks but I said that it got me thinking. The fact that they're millionaires just makes it a joke that the league will fine them a measly 10 grand. Fine them 100 grand for these dirty plays and see how they respond. To a guy who makes 4 mil a year, 10 grand is pocket change.

This about sums up my reaction going from your initial post to this one.

graph-up-crash.jpg

Insulting others due to an error caused by your lack of adequate communication is disrespectful. Maybe you should consider how you word your discussions instead of criticizing others.

Nowhere did I say the datsyuk elbow should be turned to the law. Maybe your english comprehension sucks but I said that it got me thinking. .

Ha! Thought you said you weren't here to argue!

Apparently my English comprehension sucks too.

Maybe because you said "Watching the blatantly purposeful elbow on Datsyuk's face had me thinking. Why shouldn't the players be held legally responsible for actions that are deemed purposeful intent to injure?" people thought you were bringing the Datsyuk thing into it. Maybe your english comprehension is lacking.

Edited by nosyt612

In effort to bring this back on topic and keep personal feelings aside, this opens up way too many problems to be introduced into the sport. Suddenly fighting is assault, the question of "intent" is blown way out of proportion and players like Chris Neil and Derek Dorsett are afraid to play the game they are paid to play due to the potential of being arrested or prosecuted for it. There are entirely too many gray areas when you are considering it's a physical sport where hitting and fighting are currently legal.

I'll side with the general majority here and say in absolute extreme circumstances, like those mentioned above, Yes. Otherwise there is no need to change it, bring the law into it further, and jeopardize the physical aspect of the sport any further. It already grinds my gears that they want to remove fighting from the sport entirely, this would be a fast step in allowing that to happen.

Another problem with your thought is this:

You said fighting was ok because they're willing participants.

If a cop is walking down the street and sees you and someone fighting - even if you are both willing - you can get arrested.

If you let the elephant in the tent, you don't get to pick and choose where he sits or what he eats.

Edited by FireCaptain

If player X and player Y are playing a hockey game and it goes beyond the accepted perameters of the rules, the league has the option to step in and suspend and/or fine the player(s) involved.

If player X is sleeping with player Y's wife and player Y goes ballistic on the ice, then we might have a cause for concern because it has gone beyone the confines of the game.

If the law is to be brought in (as the outsiders that they are), it should be only in cases where the activity is the product of, or is preceeded by, outside influences.

Edited by 55fan

If player X is sleeping with player Y's wife and player Y goes ballistic on the ice, then we might have a cause for concern because it has gone beyone the confines of the game.

How hot is she? Is there a video of this altercation? Because I would like to see it and determine the intent...

:clap:

:innocent:

The answer is only when there is real intent to do great bodily harm. Hockey is a fast game, s*** happens, sometimes you move your body one way and what you intended to be a shoulder to shoulder hit turns into a high hit to the head. There really has to be clear intent... or else we will have soccer on ice.

There are two angles "the law" can be brought into these instances. Criminally or in civil court. Like most said above, I agree that most of the time, it should be left out of criminal court. Not an expert by any means on this topic but not sure why it doesn't happen more, or if at all, where a player sues another player in civil court.