• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:59 AM

Wouldn't have happened, with someone like McCarty or Kocur in the lineup and that's my biggest beef with Weber, he is always playing on the edge but never ever backs the stuff up. I've never seen him fighting against McGrattan, Orr, Engelland, MacIntyre, S Thornton aso...to me he seems to be a spotpicker and I don't respect that, earlier it was McKenzie doing the fights for him and lately it seems to be Raves.

Also thanks god, this wasn't anything serious otherwise the "punishment" would have looked even more laughable than the non suspension for Cowen.

Weber doesn't fight because he's a superstar calibre player and his team cannot afford to have him in the box or kicked out.  

Why would he waste his time fighting a bunch of scrubs.  That would be beyond dumb for the Predators.Also Kronwall constantly plays on the edge but never fights. Do you feel the same way about him?

Kronwall is playing on the edge but he never ever goes into DB mode, which Weber does. I mean there is difference between playing hard/tough and act like a complete fool (i.e glasssmash) or going after guys way under the own size. S. Thornton isn't a scrub he can play more than a bit, is a physical presence and has some leadership skills.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#62 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

This all seems kinda hypocritical considering some of the players we currently employ and have employed in the past.

Especially considering it really wasn't that vicious. Zetterberg was barely phased.  I've seen much, much worse intent to injure.  

You'd think he shattered his cheek bone or blew his knee out by some of the reactions here.

It's the playoffs and yes lots of violent/dirty stuff happens on both sides.  Let's not pretend we're above it and our players have never done anything as bad.

just because weber got lucky and there was no injury doesnt make what he did any less douchey. you mention players we have, but i would take a guy like bertuzzi who was just trying to fight a guy and they fell awkwardly over a guy like weber who intentionally smashed a star players face into the glass (and then joked about it with teammates)  every day of the week.

we base a lot of our punishment on the outcome and then just ignore the intent or the circumstances. its a stupid way of judging things.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#63 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

Wouldn't have happened, with someone like McCarty or Kocur in the lineup 

100% disagree. You cant 100% say having a goon on the team would prevent anything. More than likely you would have had McCarty or Kocur getting a penalty the next game after going after Weber. Having a goon in todays NHL in no ways deters the cheap shots that are happening. Players dont fear goons. They know if they can get a goon into overreacting they will basically get a free powerplay. The only way McCarty or Kocur would have stopped Weber from doing this was if they were on the ice next to him and sucker punched him before he could grab Zetts. The instigator penalty essentially killed the job of the 2 minute ice time goon. 

#64 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

And let's reel it back in to the topic at hand, please.  I see how this evolved, but this isn't the place for the enforcer discussion.

Thanks.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#65 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

More than likely you would have had McCarty or Kocur getting a penalty the next game after going after Weber.

And?

Mac or Kocur would have smashed Webers face in.  Who cares if they'd get a penalty for it. 

#66 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

i would love to go back in time to game 1 and tell weber not smash Zetterberg's head into the glass,Shea weber's name is gonna be linked to this incident forever

#67 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

i would love to go back in time to game 1 and tell weber not smash Zetterberg's head into the glass,Shea weber's name is gonna be linked to this incident forever

Well when he goes as far as joking about it afterwards, it's kind of hard to forgive a guy that doesn't seem too sorry in the first place.