• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Timezown

Weiss

Rate this topic

He wasn't terrible tonight but then again I don't expect anything from him anymore so any little thing will make me think/hope I'm seeing progress.

I feel bad for the guy. Even just a few simple 2nd assists would help make his stat-line look less pathetic but nothing is going offensively when he's on the ice. The fact he's not looking much better than Cleary or Samuelsson is downright scary.

Well I was one of the very few who were against it. So many talked about how we will finish like 2-4 in the east. And Weiss will be more worth the money the fil and etc etc etc.

Ok...so? Everyone has an opinion. Still four and a half years left and he isn't going anywhere.

You may have been right about the first half-mile but there's still four and a half miles left.

Well I was one of the very few who were against it. So many talked about how we will finish like 2-4 in the east. And Weiss will be more worth the money the fil and etc etc etc.

i remember getting sh*t on by alot of people for saying he was overrated when we signed him, i also didnt like the alfredsson signing just because the cap number was 5.5 for a 40 yr old player , i can live with the alfredsson signing cause its 1 year but even if we gave him say 4 million instead we'd have flexibility and be able to call up ahl players

ah well

also cause the cap number is going up 7 million i just hope holland doesnt feel like he has to go out just sign any joblo , like i said last summer rather keep the money till the right moment arrives ( a real star is available although it rarely happens now ) or let the kids play and keep money for the future raises (nyquist , tatar etc.. )

Guest DeGraa55

i remember getting sh*t on by alot of people for saying he was overrated when we signed him, i also didnt like the alfredsson signing just because the cap number was 5.5 for a 40 yr old player , i can live with the alfredsson signing cause its 1 year but even if we gave him say 4 million instead we'd have flexibility and be able to call up ahl players

ah wellalso cause the cap number is going up 7 million i just hope holland doesnt feel like he has to go out just sign any joblo , like i said last summer rather keep the money till the right moment arrives ( a real star is available although it rarely happens now ) or let the kids play and keep money for the future raises (nyquist , tatar etc.. )

I agree I didn't like the Alfie signing either.

I personally still think its in the teams best interest to let DAT and z center their own line so they can match up well against other team top 2 lines. And the money we had and have coming io in free agency should be to put legit wingers around them.

The Alfie Sammy Quincey Bert cleary and if we didn't sign Weiss money would get us two really good wingers for each z and DAT. Then you could plug in your franzen Tatar nywuist Abby etc etc where ever Babcock sees fit. And whoever's left plays with helm(when injured Anderson) on the third line.

But instead we insist on old broken players and guys who don't like to score.

weiss is obviously a good hockey player. you dont score hundreds of points in the nhl by luck.

but he also obviously does not fit in this system on this team.

i dont know if its the system, the coaching, the linemates, or something else. but this is bad. brutal even.

we dont have many options right now, but we have to do something. getting demoted to the 4th line obviously didnt fire him up.

weiss is obviously a good hockey player. you dont score hundreds of points in the nhl by luck.

but he also obviously does not fit in this system on this team.

i dont know if its the system, the coaching, the linemates, or something else. but this is bad. brutal even.

we dont have many options right now, but we have to do something. getting demoted to the 4th line obviously didnt fire him up.

You're expecting him to be fired up about playing with Cleary and Samuelsson night after night?

You're expecting him to be fired up about playing with Cleary and Samuelsson night after night?

he got stuck playing with cleary because he was terrible for 15 games, not because there is a cosmic conspiracy. demoting a player to a lower line with crappy linemates is one of the few things that can be done to try and send a message to a player. i expect him to be fired up about the 25 million dollar contract he signed and i expect him to be fired up to play with great players on a team with a great history. he shouldnt need anymore motivation. but watching him out on the ice it seesm rather apparent he does...

Since the beginning of the '12-'13 season:

• 43 games played
  • 3 goals
  • 5 assists
  • 47 shots on goal

Whatever happened to him started last year.

The most shocking to me is the 47 shots on goal. FOR A TOP 6 PLAYER?!?!?! My god....

This is why I think he is done. It won't be the first time a player with a previously good track-record absolutely disappears, especially after signing for big dollars and term. Scott Gomez, Johnathon Cheechoo, the recently-discussed Mike Commodore (though he was never nearly as good as he thinks he was), and so on. We picked the wrong player at the wrong time. Its not necessarily Kenny's fault, but he needs to be bought out come June. I'd rather be paying $2M+ for an empty roster spot than $4.9M to watch Weiss float and durp for the next four-and-a-half years. At this point I just pray he doesn't have some late season hot streak to make Holland think twice about keeping him.

Since the beginning of the '12-'13 season:

• 43 games played
  • 3 goals
  • 5 assists
  • 47 shots on goal

Whatever happened to him started last year.

The most shocking to me is the 47 shots on goal. FOR A TOP 6 PLAYER?!?!?! My god....

This is actually a great find. The ONLY goal he scored in 17 games for Florida last season came on the powerplay. When he scored his career high 28 goals in 09-10, almost half of them (12) were on the PP. In 17 games last season he managed the impressive +/- stat of -13. Even when Florida had a good team and actually made the playoffs the guy was only a +5, and all his playoff goals came on the PP.

In this a case of low work ethic catching up to him? We're all unanimous that he is completely unnoticeable on the ice and has a tendency to wait for the puck rather than go hunting for it. That would explain why most of his goals only come on the PP.

Im not really one for reading too much into stats, and I'll admit I only took a glance at his goals record from the late 00's and assumed he'd be at least a 20 goal player playing on a winning team.

Final thought: Weiss has 1 shot on goal in the last 48 minutes of ice time. He's been on the ice for nearly an hour and only shot the puck at the net ONCE. He should be a healthy scratch. Period.

Edited by uk_redwing

Saw another tweet that said "lets split the difference, its his balls".

Watch and be amazed as our second line actually does something of use with Weiss sitting.

Also, does this mean our cebters for tomorrow are datsyuk, franzen, andy, emmerton? Yeesh, 3 centers out with injury.

he got stuck playing with cleary because he was terrible for 15 games, not because there is a cosmic conspiracy. demoting a player to a lower line with crappy linemates is one of the few things that can be done to try and send a message to a player. i expect him to be fired up about the 25 million dollar contract he signed and i expect him to be fired up to play with great players on a team with a great history. he shouldnt need anymore motivation. but watching him out on the ice it seesm rather apparent he does...

He got a few opportunities to play with real linemates early in the season. Since then, he hasn't had much to speak of consistently. He's on the ice for maybe 30 or 40 seconds and then he's yanked. What do you expect? You want him to just jump up and make Cleary and Samuelsson useful? Crosby couldn't make those guys noticeable. And it doesnt matter. When we get healthy, he's going right back to where he was. I'm not happy he's not producing, but people act like he's the worst player in hockey and his career is over. That's just absurd. Anyone who honestly thinks that needs to stop watching sports, let alone hockey.

The guy needs to sit until he's fully healthy. Babs made mention he was playing thru injury earlier the year, then missed time, and now he's been playing injured again and going to miss time. Why do the Wings have this happen so much? Cleary played thru injury in 11-12 and was ******* horrendous. What's the point? Sit out and get healthy, play kids in the mean time. Especially in Weiss' case this year, clearly he is not helping us at less then 100%, going back to last year he hasn't helped ANYBODY at less then 100%. Better to sit then play and be invisible.

He got a few opportunities to play with real linemates early in the season. Since then, he hasn't had much to speak of consistently. He's on the ice for maybe 30 or 40 seconds and then he's yanked. What do you expect? You want him to just jump up and make Cleary and Samuelsson useful? Crosby couldn't make those guys noticeable. And it doesnt matter. When we get healthy, he's going right back to where he was. I'm not happy he's not producing, but people act like he's the worst player in hockey and his career is over. That's just absurd. Anyone who honestly thinks that needs to stop watching sports, let alone hockey.

he is still 7th for forwards in ES TOI per game. and even though he already missed some games, he is still 8th in forwards for PP total TOI. he has been getting plenty of chances. and according to behind the net, his most common linemates this season have been abdelkader and alfredsson. so its not like he has been with cleary and sammy for a majority of his shifts.

but i must go now, because i have to quit watching sports because i am not the right kind of fan...

@AnsarKhanMLive: Babcock said Weiss is out with some type of groin issue or stomach strain. Will have tests to determine extent.

Not sure if his game is suffering from a lack of balls or a yellow belly. Waiting to hear back from MRI.

he is still 7th for forwards in ES TOI per game. and even though he already missed some games, he is still 8th in forwards for PP total TOI. he has been getting plenty of chances. and according to behind the net, his most common linemates this season have been abdelkader and alfredsson. so its not like he has been with cleary and sammy for a majority of his shifts.

but i must go now, because i have to quit watching sports because i am not the right kind of fan...

Speaking of Cleary and Samuelsson, since they all have about the same PPG (0.16) but the glimmer twins each have more shots on goal in less ice time with a better plus-minus, couldn't it be argued that Weiss is the worst player on that line? :ninja:

Speaking of Cleary and Samuelsson, since they all have about the same PPG (0.16) but the glimmer twins each have more shots on goal in less ice time with a better plus-minus, couldn't it be argued that Weiss is the worst player on that line? :ninja:

i know you are just joking, but on a more serious note, i have to wonder if franzens slow start was due to weiss? franzen is obviously streaky no matter who he plays with, but onec he got away from weiss he really turned his season around.

lots like to point to weiss not having good linemates, but has there been a game this season where he has made his line better? it seems like every time players get off his line they improve!