• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Timezown

Weiss

Rate this topic

Do the surgery now. There shouldn't even be another option. Weiss is ineffective while playing with a sports hernia. Give him plenty of time to rest and recuperate, and hopefully this can provide him with an opportunity to start from scratch and try to get his body and mind where he wants it to be before he returns to the lineup. The contract is for several years, let's do this the right way.

This. 100% this.

Its not like he's a guy we're desperate to get back in the line-up. We've got 5 years and $25M invested in this guy, lets at least give him a chance long term.

Tough news, but hopefully Weiss gets healthy to help the Red Wings for the stretch run and playoffs.

Have to wonder if this means Z and Pavel on separate lines once again when Z gets back. Helm was really coming on offensively, so maybe he's not as out of place as a second line center if you want to keep the Euro-Twins together. Andersson is slow, but works well with speedy wingers (maybe Abby and Tatar) on the third line.

Bert-Dats-Z

Franzen-Helm-Alfie

Nyquist-Andy-Tats

Abby-Glend-Tootoo/Miller

Cant be stopped. Skill, speed, playmaking, scoring, in the top 3 lines. And then a rock solid 4th. Let weiss recover. With everyone healthy we actually have a pretty deep roster.

Bert-Dats-Z

Franzen-Helm-Alfie

Nyquist-Andy-Tats

Abby-Glend-Tootoo/Miller

Cant be stopped. Skill, speed, playmaking, scoring, in the top 3 lines. And then a rock solid 4th. Let weiss recover. With everyone healthy we actually have a pretty deep roster.

It's not bad, but I think Dats and Alfie have looked decent together, as well as some other lines. I like the look of this one, though...

Bert-Dats-Alfie

Mule-Z-Nyquist (they looked great together)

Abs-Helm-Tatar (also thought they looked decent)

Miller-Andersson-Glen/Toots

Bert-Dats-Z

Franzen-Helm-Alfie

Nyquist-Andy-Tats

Abby-Glend-Tootoo/Miller

I would be alright with those line combinations. Bertuzzi creates space for the Euro-Twins, but I'm not a huge fan of him getting first line minutes anymore. Babcock loves having a big body for puck retrieval on each line, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Bertuzzi playing up there.

Personally, I would try this:

Z - Pav - Alfie

Mule - Helm - Nyquist (line was on fire before injuries)

Abby - Andersson - Tatar

Miller - Glendening - Eaves/Tootoo

Bert-Dats-Z

Franzen-Helm-Alfie

Nyquist-Andy-Tats

Abby-Glend-Tootoo/Miller

Isn't something that we've learned over the past 5 years is that just because it looks good on paper (which is even debatable) doesn't mean that it will perform.

This sucks. I know Weiss hasn't been the greatest but we all know why now. With everyone healthy including Weiss we definitely have one of the deepest teams in the NHL. Top 5 for sure. Really sucks that he's going to out for a while.

Guest Crymson

Ouch. Good to know there is a reason for his awful play, but I remember sports hernia surgery destroying Cheechoo's career.

Dunno if we're that deep. But we're definitely deep.

Team is deep.

That's not as nefarious as it seems. On 24/7 they mentioned that they ran out of stalls with so many people on IR.

@asktheduffer: Stephen Weiss officially a non-person with #RedWings. His dressing room stall now assigned to Patrick Eaves.

Wow...

This is my last straw with Weiss. If he comes back after the surgery and shows piss poor effort again I won't be looking for him to succeed here anymore. Can only hope this fixes him.

Surely there will be an adjustment period when he returns. At the very least, he'll be rusty.

As for this being the last straw for him, I don't think I can get behind that, because 1) you can't really do anything about injuries like this one (this isn't something Weiss should be reprimanded and held accountable for), and 2) it's possible he's been dealing with this, in some capacity, for longer than we might think. Is it just a coincidence that he started decently (at least in the effort and sticking-with-it department) but at some point became more like a zombie than an actual hockey player? Maybe, maybe not. Personally, I like the idea that this issue first popped up as the injuries were really starting to mount, so he felt obligated to suck it up and stick it out and step it up to cushion the blow of losing Zetterberg et al. - a decision which, while admirable, ultimately aggravated his condition and brought him to where he is now.

This is my last straw with Weiss. If he comes back after the surgery and shows piss poor effort again I won't be looking for him to succeed here anymore. Can only hope this fixes him.

He tried to soldier through the injury while others were hurt, but ultimately, couldn't carry on. That's pretty admirable. He doesn't need to be "fixed". Sports hernias seriously hinder a player. You can't expect him to be the same player he always was when he has one. I think it's remarkable he's produced what he has with this injury. He'll be back healthy and then his talent and effort will show through. Edited by DatsyukToZetterberg

Honestly, I'm not expecting much out of him when he comes back. Its very hard coming back near the end of the season and trying to find form and fitness post surgery. He needs a good off-season, a good pre-season and see if he can hit the ground running. I've virtually written off the rest of this season for him.

He tried to soldier through the injury while others were hurt, but ultimately, couldn't carry on. That's pretty admirable. He doesn't need to be "fixed". Sports hernias seriously hinder a player. You can't expect him to be the same player he always was when he has one. I think it's remarkable he's produced what he has with this injury. He'll be back healthy and then his talent and effort will show through.

Thing is - nobody except Weiss has any clue when this injury happened. He could have had groin issues earlier and a hernia now - you and I don't know. It truly hurts to bend over with a hernia of this nature and I have a hard time believing he played through this all season the way it is. I can't just let him off the hook and say it was admirable. In all honesty, he should have taken it upon himself to sit and get it looked at instead of playing if it affected him to the point where he thought he was a different player.

Thing is - nobody except Weiss has any clue when this injury happened. He could have had groin issues earlier and a hernia now - you and I don't know. It truly hurts to bend over with a hernia of this nature and I have a hard time believing he played through this all season the way it is. I can't just let him off the hook and say it was admirable. In all honesty, he should have taken it upon himself to sit and get it looked at instead of playing if it affected him to the point where he thought he was a different player.

So when Cleary Zetterberg and lidstrom were all playing through injuries in the 2012 playoffs, that was admirable, but Weiss trying to help the team even though he was in pain isn't?

So when Cleary Zetterberg and lidstrom were all playing through injuries in the 2012 playoffs, that was admirable, but Weiss trying to help the team even though he was in pain isn't?

In his defense, the overall point of his post is that we don't know whether or not Weiss played with this injury this whole season.

In his defense, the overall point of his post is that we don't know whether or not Weiss played with this injury this whole season.

And it's an unwritten rule that unless you're limbs are literally falling off, you suck it up and play through it in the playoffs. Because It's the Cup. Whereas no one really cares about the first third of the season. (The Wings certainly don't!)

We took Weiss out for a groin, thought he was healthy and now we dont know if its the same issue thats re-aggravated and its worse because we didnt diagnosis it well.

http://www.sourcenewspapers.com/articles/2013/12/21/sports/doc52b05b3a563ad625163611.txt

Looks like he probably was batting through this injury most of the season