• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

Since the beginning of the '12-'13 season:

• 43 games played
  • 3 goals
  • 5 assists
  • 47 shots on goal

Whatever happened to him started last year.

The most shocking to me is the 47 shots on goal. FOR A TOP 6 PLAYER?!?!?! My god....

This is why I think he is done. It won't be the first time a player with a previously good track-record absolutely disappears, especially after signing for big dollars and term. Scott Gomez, Johnathon Cheechoo, the recently-discussed Mike Commodore (though he was never nearly as good as he thinks he was), and so on. We picked the wrong player at the wrong time. Its not necessarily Kenny's fault, but he needs to be bought out come June. I'd rather be paying $2M+ for an empty roster spot than $4.9M to watch Weiss float and durp for the next four-and-a-half years. At this point I just pray he doesn't have some late season hot streak to make Holland think twice about keeping him.

#262 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

Since the beginning of the '12-'13 season:

• 43 games played
  • 3 goals
  • 5 assists
  • 47 shots on goal

Whatever happened to him started last year.

The most shocking to me is the 47 shots on goal. FOR A TOP 6 PLAYER?!?!?! My god....

This is actually a great find. The ONLY goal he scored in 17 games for Florida last season came on the powerplay. When he scored his career high 28 goals in 09-10, almost half of them (12) were on the PP. In 17 games last season he managed the impressive +/- stat of -13. Even when Florida had a good team and actually made the playoffs the guy was only a +5, and all his playoff goals came on the PP.

In this a case of low work ethic catching up to him? We're all unanimous that he is completely unnoticeable on the ice and has a tendency to wait for the puck rather than go hunting for it. That would explain why most of his goals only come on the PP.

Im not really one for reading too much into stats, and I'll admit I only took a glance at his goals record from the late 00's and assumed he'd be at least a 20 goal player playing on a winning team.

Final thought: Weiss has 1 shot on goal in the last 48 minutes of ice time. He's been on the ice for nearly an hour and only shot the puck at the net ONCE. He should be a healthy scratch. Period.

Edited by uk_redwing, 11 December 2013 - 11:01 AM.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#263 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

@AnsarKhanMLive: Babcock said Weiss is out with some type of groin issue or stomach strain. Will have tests to determine extent.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#264 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

just read he was out due to a groin injury. never have i been less worried. i don't think it makes a difference if he is in the lineup or out

My wish: A healthy roster

#265 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

Saw another tweet that said "lets split the difference, its his balls".

Watch and be amazed as our second line actually does something of use with Weiss sitting.
Also, does this mean our cebters for tomorrow are datsyuk, franzen, andy, emmerton? Yeesh, 3 centers out with injury.

#266 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

Yeah not too bothered with Weiss being out unfortunately. Gives him some time to think about his game. "Hopefully."

#267 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

he got stuck playing with cleary because he was terrible for 15 games, not because there is a cosmic conspiracy. demoting a player to a lower line with crappy linemates is one of the few things that can be done to try and send a message to a player. i expect him to be fired up about the 25 million dollar contract he signed and i expect him to be fired up to play with great players on a team with a great history. he shouldnt need anymore motivation. but watching him out on the ice it seesm rather apparent he does...

He got a few opportunities to play with real linemates early in the season. Since then, he hasn't had much to speak of consistently. He's on the ice for maybe 30 or 40 seconds and then he's yanked. What do you expect? You want him to just jump up and make Cleary and Samuelsson useful? Crosby couldn't make those guys noticeable. And it doesnt matter. When we get healthy, he's going right back to where he was. I'm not happy he's not producing, but people act like he's the worst player in hockey and his career is over. That's just absurd. Anyone who honestly thinks that needs to stop watching sports, let alone hockey.

#268 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

The guy needs to sit until he's fully healthy. Babs made mention he was playing thru injury earlier the year, then missed time, and now he's been playing injured again and going to miss time. Why do the Wings have this happen so much? Cleary played thru injury in 11-12 and wasf****** horrendous. What's the point? Sit out and get healthy, play kids in the mean time. Especially in Weiss' case this year, clearly he is not helping us at less then 100%, going back to last year he hasn't helped ANYBODY at less then 100%. Better to sit then play and be invisible.

#NOMOREKINDL

#269 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

He got a few opportunities to play with real linemates early in the season. Since then, he hasn't had much to speak of consistently. He's on the ice for maybe 30 or 40 seconds and then he's yanked. What do you expect? You want him to just jump up and make Cleary and Samuelsson useful? Crosby couldn't make those guys noticeable. And it doesnt matter. When we get healthy, he's going right back to where he was. I'm not happy he's not producing, but people act like he's the worst player in hockey and his career is over. That's just absurd. Anyone who honestly thinks that needs to stop watching sports, let alone hockey.

he is still 7th for forwards in ES TOI per game. and even though he already missed some games, he is still 8th in forwards for PP total TOI. he has been getting plenty of chances. and according to behind the net, his most common linemates this season have been abdelkader and alfredsson. so its not like he has been with cleary and sammy for a majority of his shifts.

but i must go now, because i have to quit watching sports because i am not the right kind of fan...

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#270 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

When we get healthy, he's going right back to where he was.

AKA still useless.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#271 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

@AnsarKhanMLive: Babcock said Weiss is out with some type of groin issue or stomach strain. Will have tests to determine extent.

Not sure if his game is suffering from a lack of balls or a yellow belly. Waiting to hear back from MRI.

#272 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

Atleast he got a grade A scoring chance which could have been a GWG that is an improvement

#273 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

he is still 7th for forwards in ES TOI per game. and even though he already missed some games, he is still 8th in forwards for PP total TOI. he has been getting plenty of chances. and according to behind the net, his most common linemates this season have been abdelkader and alfredsson. so its not like he has been with cleary and sammy for a majority of his shifts.

but i must go now, because i have to quit watching sports because i am not the right kind of fan...

Speaking of Cleary and Samuelsson, since they all have about the same PPG (0.16) but the glimmer twins each have more shots on goal in less ice time with a better plus-minus, couldn't it be argued that Weiss is the worst player on that line?  :ninja:

#274 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

maybe it is this groin issue that is making him play like a 90 year old? hmmm... 

#275 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Speaking of Cleary and Samuelsson, since they all have about the same PPG (0.16) but the glimmer twins each have more shots on goal in less ice time with a better plus-minus, couldn't it be argued that Weiss is the worst player on that line?  :ninja:

i know you are just joking, but on a more serious note, i have to wonder if franzens slow start was due to weiss? franzen is obviously streaky no matter who he plays with, but onec he got away from weiss he really turned his season around.

lots like to point to weiss not having good linemates, but has there been a game this season where he has made his line better? it seems like every time players get off his line they improve!

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#276 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Weiss is usually not the hardest working player on his line - I expected that at least from him. If he played with half the heart that helm had I wouldn't mind his point totals that much.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#277 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

i know you are just joking, but on a more serious note, i have to wonder if franzens slow start was due to weiss? franzen is obviously streaky no matter who he plays with, but onec he got away from weiss he really turned his season around.

If I recall he seemed to turn it around after not playing for a while due to some mystery injury. I'm not so sure it's because of Weiss.

#278 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

I'll ignore the fact that you COMPLETELY misused the last part of my post, as that's hardly the worst of it.

Abdelkader is an offensive anchor. Very useful in a certain role, but has never been and will never be an offensive threat. Not a guy that makes me look at Weiss and think "Boy, how could he not be producing with a winger like that?"

Alfie, for all his greatness, is not a pure goal-scoring winger. Offensively, he is solid in pretty much all areas, but he is not a counted-upon goal-scorer. I don't expect him to pot goals consistently. Points? Yes. Goals? Not so much.

Also, because Weiss hasn't centered Cleary and Samuelsson exclusively, that makes my point entirely irrelevant? He's played quite a few games buried with them. And, with that fact being a major contributing factor, he recorded no points in those games.

You're trying to make it sound as though I'm complacent with Weiss. Quite the contrary, I am irked by his lack of production. But, not in a George Carlin-esque "psychotic f***in' hatred" type of way, as most around here have adopted. I'm disappointed, as a big fan of both his and the Wings, that he hasn't been able to contribute. I do, however, believe that he will right the ship and get his game back. If we can find new hope for Smith, grow to love Ericsson and come to respect Bertuzzi, then surely Weiss deserves some of that, too.

#279 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'll ignore the fact that you COMPLETELY misused the last part of my post, as that's hardly the worst of it.

Abdelkader is an offensive anchor. Very useful in a certain role, but has never been and will never be an offensive threat. Not a guy that makes me look at Weiss and think "Boy, how could he not be producing with a winger like that?"

Alfie, for all his greatness, is not a pure goal-scoring winger. Offensively, he is solid in pretty much all areas, but he is not a counted-upon goal-scorer. I don't expect him to pot goals consistently. Points? Yes. Goals? Not so much.

Also, because Weiss hasn't centered Cleary and Samuelsson exclusively, that makes my point entirely irrelevant? He's played quite a few games buried with them. And, with that fact being a major contributing factor, he recorded no points in those games.

This argument is completely invalid so long as Alfredsson, and more to the point Abdelkader, both produce significantly more offensively than Weiss. You can't say "Of course he only has 4 points, his most frequent linemates this season have only have 35 points between the two of them!" Beyond that, Weiss has proven much worse in all areas of the ice. Andersson has 10 points and Miller has 7 points, both playing primarily as shutdown role.

As I said earlier, Weiss is not under-performing. If he had Abdelkader's 12 points right now, his being with Cleary, Samuelsson, Abdelkader, or whoever might be a reasonable cause of such low production. He has 4 points. He is non-existent in every facet of the game.

#280 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

Good point. Alfie,Abdelkader and Franzen have all played much better without Weiss. Even the fourth line looked better than it did with Weiss earlier in the season. And, low and behold are second line, with Weiss, was god awful from the start to finish of the game.

Even when Weiss was centering the 3rd line with Tatar that line looked bad. He brings down every single player he has played with. It's almost funny at this point. This is unbelievably bad. I really do hope he has been injured because this contract is looking like the worse signing of Holland's career

Edited by joesuffP, 11 December 2013 - 06:48 PM.