• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#301 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

Do the surgery now.  There shouldn't even be another option.  Weiss is ineffective while playing with a sports hernia.  Give him plenty of time to rest and recuperate, and hopefully this can provide him with an opportunity to start from scratch and try to get his body and mind where he wants it to be before he returns to the lineup.  The contract is for several years, let's do this the right way.

This.  100% this. 

Its not like he's a guy we're desperate to get back in the line-up.  We've got 5 years and $25M invested in this guy, lets at least give him a chance long term.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#302 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

On the bright side - this gives him an out on all the bad play he exhibited - even if it didn't have an effect until recently (who knows). For his confidence it will be nice to have something to blame his play on and then come back believing he can now play like his old self.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#303 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

Monday we get Helm and Abby back. Starting to look something resembling an nhl roster.

#304 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

Tough news, but hopefully Weiss gets healthy to help the Red Wings for the stretch run and playoffs.

Have to wonder if this means Z and Pavel on separate lines once again when Z gets back. Helm was really coming on offensively, so maybe he's not as out of place as a second line center if you want to keep the Euro-Twins together. Andersson is slow, but works well with speedy wingers (maybe Abby and Tatar) on the third line.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#305 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

Bert-Dats-Z
Franzen-Helm-Alfie
Nyquist-Andy-Tats
Abby-Glend-Tootoo/Miller

Cant be stopped. Skill, speed, playmaking, scoring, in the top 3 lines. And then a rock solid 4th. Let weiss recover. With everyone healthy we actually have a pretty deep roster.

#306 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

Bert-Dats-Z
Franzen-Helm-Alfie
Nyquist-Andy-Tats
Abby-Glend-Tootoo/Miller

Cant be stopped. Skill, speed, playmaking, scoring, in the top 3 lines. And then a rock solid 4th. Let weiss recover. With everyone healthy we actually have a pretty deep roster.

It's not bad, but I think Dats and Alfie have looked decent together, as well as some other lines. I like the look of this one, though...

Bert-Dats-Alfie
Mule-Z-Nyquist (they looked great together)

Abs-Helm-Tatar (also thought they looked decent)

Miller-Andersson-Glen/Toots

#307 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:07 PM

Bert-Dats-Z
Franzen-Helm-Alfie
Nyquist-Andy-Tats
Abby-Glend-Tootoo/Miller

I would be alright with those line combinations. Bertuzzi creates space for the Euro-Twins, but I'm not a huge fan of him getting first line minutes anymore. Babcock loves having a big body for puck retrieval on each line, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Bertuzzi playing up there.

Personally, I would try this:

Z - Pav - Alfie
Mule - Helm - Nyquist (line was on fire before injuries)
Abby - Andersson - Tatar
Miller - Glendening - Eaves/Tootoo

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#308 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

Bert-Dats-Z
Franzen-Helm-Alfie
Nyquist-Andy-Tats
Abby-Glend-Tootoo/Miller

Isn't something that we've learned over the past 5 years is that just because it looks good on paper (which is even debatable) doesn't mean that it will perform.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#309 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

No question on this. Do the surgery now and give him every second he needs to get fully healthy. Stephen Weiss at full strength is something that could greatly help this team. Do it right and get him right.

#310 SimonSin

SimonSin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

This sucks. I know Weiss hasn't been the greatest but we all know why now. With everyone healthy including Weiss we definitely have one of the deepest teams in the NHL. Top 5 for sure. Really sucks that he's going to out for a while.

#311 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:58 AM

With everyone healthy including Weiss we definitely have one of the deepest teams in the NHL. Top 5 for sure.

Dunno if we're that deep. But we're definitely deep.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#312 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

Ouch. Good to know there is a reason for his awful play, but I remember sports hernia surgery destroying Cheechoo's career.

Dunno if we're that deep. But we're definitely deep.

Team is deep.

#313 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

http://www.mlive.com...iss_will_h.html

Weiss will take the surgery and is scheduled to return after the Olympic break. The article mentions he has had experienced groin pain dating to last season, so this has been a problem for some time.

#314 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

I hope this surgery is what he needs in order to be the player he used to be. Will give him the benefit of the doubt and look forward to him hopefully returning as someone who can make an impact. 

#315 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

That's not as nefarious as it seems. On 24/7 they mentioned that they ran out of stalls with so many people on IR.

@asktheduffer: Stephen Weiss officially a non-person with #RedWings. His dressing room stall now assigned to Patrick Eaves.

Wow...

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#316 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

This is my last straw with Weiss. If he comes back after the surgery and shows piss poor effort again I won't be looking for him to succeed here anymore. Can only hope this fixes him.

#317 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

This is my last straw with Weiss. If he comes back after the surgery and shows piss poor effort again I won't be looking for him to succeed here anymore. Can only hope this fixes him.

Surely there will be an adjustment period when he returns. At the very least, he'll be rusty.

As for this being the last straw for him, I don't think I can get behind that, because 1) you can't really do anything about injuries like this one (this isn't something Weiss should be reprimanded and held accountable for), and 2) it's possible he's been dealing with this, in some capacity, for longer than we might think. Is it just a coincidence that he started decently (at least in the effort and sticking-with-it department) but at some point became more like a zombie than an actual hockey player? Maybe, maybe not. Personally, I like the idea that this issue first popped up as the injuries were really starting to mount, so he felt obligated to suck it up and stick it out and step it up to cushion the blow of losing Zetterberg et al. - a decision which, while admirable, ultimately aggravated his condition and brought him to where he is now.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#318 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

He tried to soldier through the injury while others were hurt, but ultimately, couldn't carry on. That's pretty admirable. He doesn't need to be "fixed". Sports hernias seriously hinder a player. You can't expect him to be the same player he always was when he has one. I think it's remarkable he's produced what he has with this injury. He'll be back healthy and then his talent and effort will show through.

Edited by DatsyukToZetterberg, 23 December 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#319 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

Detroit's Weiss has surgery for sports hernia [PHT]

The surgery was a success. Good news.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#320 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

Honestly, I'm not expecting much out of him when he comes back.  Its very hard coming back near the end of the season and trying to find form and fitness post surgery.  He needs a good off-season, a good pre-season and see if he can hit the ground running.  I've virtually written off the rest of this season for him.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk