GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,048 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Daniel Cleary 20 games played, 1G 2A

Stephen Weiss 20 games played, 2G 1A 

Valterri Filppula 25 games played, 9G 10A

The scary thing is that Weiss isn't any better than Cleary.  

Brian McGrattan 22 games played, 0G 1A (if McGrattan can somehow score a point in his next game, he will only be a point behind Cleary and Weiss).  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 29 November 2013 - 02:16 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#22 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

I didn't like the Weiss signing when it happened and still don't. But I will say itnis still too early to say it is yet another bad signing by Holland.

#23 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

I'll be excited when Weiss starts performing and people have to eat crow, because it will happen.

Edited by darkmanx, 29 November 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#24 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

I'll be excited when Weiss starts performing and people have to eat crow, because it will happen.

That's just it though.  Hating on Weiss is a pretty easy position to take. It's win/win for them.  If he doesn't perform they're "right" and if he does it helps the Wings and the greater good and all is forgotten.

I guess you could say that for anyone who's overly critical of a player...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#25 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

People give him a pass because he's not a 40 year old.  I mean, come on people.  What are we supposed to do with him?  A player doesn't go from being effective year after year to just never being any good ever again.  You especially don't judge a player only 25% into the season.  

Right now it's not the best signing, but it's far more likely he'll return to form than continue to do absolutely nothing.  That's why he gets a pass.  However, TONS of new kids burn out, which is why players like Brunner don't get a pass.  Weiss has a track record of success.  Thus, he gets the benefit of the doubt.

And I agree with another poster, comparing Weiss to Alfredsson isn't right.  Weiss is a solid two way center.  Alfredsson is a Hall of Famer.

Kyle Quincey was a fairly productive defenseman for LA and Colorado, and he's 50 something games into his second stint with the Red Wings, but I don't hear anyone calling for patience and giving him a pass.  Jimmy Carson was a superstar with LA and Edmonton and just never could get it together for the Wings.  I don't think it's totally unheard of for Free Agents to sign with a new team and never quite find the success that they once had.

As I said before, it's amazing that different players are held to such different standards.  Alfredsson and Franzen have the exact same stats, but Alfie's been a huge success and Franzen is a colossal failure and should be bought out.  Cleary and Weiss have about the same stats, but Cleary has countless hate threads, and Weiss is defended, though he makes 3 million more than Cleary and has never had a good playoff for the Wings.  Can you just imagine the outcry if Filppula had re-signed here and had those stats?  Samuelsson sat out most of last season and missed many games the season before, but I don't see anyone calling for patience or making excuses for him.  He just sucks, though he's had past success in his career.

Why is it so hard for people to admit Weiss has been bad so far and just leave it at that.  No excuses necessary. He may get better or he may not, but he hasn't been good thus far.

#26 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

Kyle Quincey was a fairly productive defenseman for LA and Colorado, and he's 50 something games into his second stint with the Red Wings, but I don't hear anyone calling for patience and giving him a pass.  Jimmy Carson was a superstar with LA and Edmonton and just never could get it together for the Wings.  I don't think it's totally unheard of for Free Agents to sign with a new team and never quite find the success that they once had.

As I said before, it's amazing that different players are held to such different standards.  Alfredsson and Franzen have the exact same stats, but Alfie's been a huge success and Franzen is a colossal failure and should be bought out.  Cleary and Weiss have about the same stats, but Cleary has countless hate threads, and Weiss is defended, though he makes 3 million more than Cleary and has never had a good playoff for the Wings.  Can you just imagine the outcry if Filppula had re-signed here and had those stats?  Samuelsson sat out most of last season and missed many games the season before, but I don't see anyone calling for patience or making excuses for him.  He just sucks, though he's had past success in his career.

Why is it so hard for people to admit Weiss has been bad so far and just leave it at that.  No excuses necessary. He may get better or he may not, but he hasn't been good thus far.

No I think Alfie was a bad signing to. Think of what we could have if we didn't have money in franzen Weiss and Alfie Quincey Sammy and cleary...

#27 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

No I think Alfie was a bad signing to. Think of what we could have if we didn't have money in franzen Weiss and Alfie Quincey Sammy and cleary...

What could we have had?  Alfie and Weiss were two of the best in last years UFA class. Are we really going to assume that all the other free agents wanted to come here to??

What exactly do you expect out of Alfie??

Every fan of ever team can list the best free agent signings and say their GM shouldv'e signed those guys. 

Building an argument off hindsight and the assumption that everyone wants to come here is obviously full of holes.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#28 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

Alfie is awesome Weiss reeks. Brings 0 to the team, one of the worst signings he needs to go ASAP

#29 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

What could we have had?  Alfie and Weiss were two of the best in last years UFA class. Are we really going to assume that all the other free agents wanted to come here to??

What exactly do you expect out of Alfie??

Every fan of ever team can list the best free agent signings and say their GM shouldv'e signed those guys. 

Building an argument off hindsight and the assumption that everyone wants to come here is obviously full of holes.

This. I guess people are still living in the past, where we could just buy all the UFA's. We are in a cap world now, we won't have stacked teams like that anymore. Fans of this team need to learn to deal with parity, it's not going away.

Alfie is awesome Weiss reeks. Brings 0 to the team, one of the worst signings he needs to go ASAP

Yep. Just like Flip needed to go ASAP....

:hammer:

#30 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

How do we ever lose with helm datsyuk zetterberg and Alfie on same team and healthy? We need to see that happen.
Now that we seen Weiss compared to Flip we got robbed blind. At least Flip skated hustled back checked etc.. And had some good moves. Weiss on the other hand I haven't seen one thing I liked.

#31 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,048 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

Maybe taking #90 was the death knell for him?

The Wings need to retire that number.   :lol:

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#32 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

Weiss kind of reminds me of Emmerton. 

Dang.

#33 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

Maybe taking #90 was the death knell for him?

The Wings need to retire that number.   :lol:

I said this all along. #90 is cursed. plain and simple

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#34 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

Remember Madano wearing 90 scored in his first game than the rest of the season was a write off. Weiss looked great his first couple shifts and almost scored and now he looks like a 4th line center

#35 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

Quincey is in his 3rd season here. He's played more than 80 games here. The comparison doesn't work. 25 games is quite a bit different

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk, 29 November 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#36 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

Remember Madano wearing 90 scored in his first game than the rest of the season was a write off. Weiss looked great his first couple shifts and almost scored and now he looks like a 4th line center

Modano was doing fine until he got his wrist slashed up.

#37 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

Serious question, can Weiss be bought out after the year? Or does the buyout apply only to players under contract prior to the lockout?

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#38 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

Serious question, can Weiss be bought out after the year? Or does the buyout apply only to players under contract prior to the lockout?

Good question... Man I hope they buy him out tomorrow, just can't get over how bad he is. How did he make nhl? I think emmerton is better and that says a lot!

#39 Timezown

Timezown

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

Weiss is the new Scott Gomez. As long as we're winning, lets just forget about him.

#40 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

Good question... Man I hope they buy him out tomorrow, just can't get over how bad he is. How did he make nhl? I think emmerton is better and that says a lot!

I wish we could buyout "fans". That would be great.

Edited by darkmanx, 29 November 2013 - 11:24 PM.