• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Timezown

Weiss

Rate this topic

If Weiss is ever going to break out, he has to do so when Pav and Z are out. However, since we continue to practice/play Weiss on the fourth line with the other two hanger-on plugs, one could guess that we have already given up on him.

I can't for the life of me think why Weiss wouldn't have been promoted during these tough times at center unless he was on his way out after less than 30 games. Don't get me wrong, Weiss has been a terrible disappointment and I have very little faith that he'll significantly snap out of it (read: earn his $5M per year contract), but if you were ever going to test it, now would be the time.

if he was on his way out why would he be on the fourth line...?

Play a skill guy with worthless plugs and you get exactly what we see from Weiss. If we would give him some actual linemates and not have him play with The Uh-Oh Twins, he could get back to where he has always been. Cleary and Samuelsson are two of the worst players in hockey. Sidney Crosby couldn't get those two on the scoresheet. I guess you only get around 30 games or it's to the 4th line with the two biggest anchors in the NHL for you. No wonder nobody wants to come here anymore. The thought of a solid two-way player like Weiss wasting away playing with those mental midgets sickens me.

Some of you guys are making it sound like Weiss started the season on the 4th line with Cleary and Sammy. I can never remember the stats site that shows linemates but he spent time with better linemates to start the season and earned his way down the lineup.

This is a guy Babcock expected to put up 50 points. 28 games into the season he has 3.

not sure if its the site you are referring to, but according to behindthenet.ca, his most common linemates are cleary and franzen.

i agree with you harold, people act as if he was on the 4th line when the season started. he earned these lousey minutes. and despite his recent demotion, he is still middle of the pack for forwards time on ice for ES and PP.

Weiss has been terrible, but by all accounts, he is ineligible for buy-out this summer. If that is the case, we are stuck with him and his salary for the next 4 years and change. Like it or not, we need to get SOME production out of him. Its one thing when we had Datsyuk and Zetterberg healthy and Helm and Andersson playing great, but without the first two, we should at least try him a few games in the Top-6 center position. After that, I don't know what to do. He is our disappointment until 2018, so we better figure something out.

Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist

Abdelkader-Helm-Alfredsson

Tatar-Andersson-Miller

Cleary-Emmerton-Samuelsson

Philadelphia is 29th in goals for and the Wings have been playing great team-defense lately, that could free up a line with a hot Franzen and Nyquist to help get Weiss off the shneid. And not to defend Weiss because he has been worthless since day one, but he did start the season with an equally unfamiliar-to-the-system Alfredsson and a completely invisible Franzen; maybe this time around with an engaged Franzen and the energy and skill of Nyquist will be different. Either way, we don't really have a choice but to get him going.

All of the city/league will be watching Weiss throughout the next 3 games as he gets 1st line C duties for more than likey his only chance of the season.

This will undoubtedly solidify many peoples opinions on him for the rest of his time here.

REALLY HOPING HE STEPS UP!

Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist

Abdelkader-Helm-Alfredsson

Tatar-Andersson-Miller

Cleary-Emmerton-Samuelsson

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/blog.htm?id=404&navid=DL|DET|home Turns out this is happening, though Franzen is moving to center and Weiss playing wing. We'll see how it goes, especially since we need that line all the more.

Apart from the assist - Weiss has looked unimpressive tonight. He took a boneheaded penalty in the flyers zone which lead to their tying goal. Babs has put cleary on the first line now instead. I've been defending Weiss for this entire season but at this point I just don't think he will step up - he has had a chance to show some jump but he has been very "meh" tonight.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

@HeleneStJames: Spoke with #RedWIngs Stephen Weiss this morning. He's very aware no Datsyuk & Zetterberg means more minutes, time to get out of funk.

LOL

get real, stephen.

you're garbage.

Did he get a shift within the last 10 minutes? Babs moved cleary onto the top line after weiss took the penalty and rightfully so. Weiss should have come out with a lot more fire and effort than he brought. There were times he coasted rather than skating to areas of the ice where he really needed to be to help out or back check. Not impressed.

Coming in and having to learn the way the Wings played early, he was up and down. And apparently playing injured, then he finally comes out of the line-up for a few games. Comes back to play 10 minutes a night with Cleary and Samuelsson. Has a decent 1st 2 periods tonight, got a point. Takes a bad penalty, and then doesn't see much ice the rest of the way. I question Holland and Babs for signing Weiss in the first place, he seemed to be a perfect fit. Instead he's been mostly on the 4th line, and getting no PP time. 4.9 mil a year is too much for a guy that the team doesn't seem to be all in on. It's still early, but 4 points in 23 games isn't good enough. And Babs doesn't seem to have confidence in the guy.

Coming in and having to learn the way the Wings played early, he was up and down. And apparently playing injured, then he finally comes out of the line-up for a few games. Comes back to play 10 minutes a night with Cleary and Samuelsson. Has a decent 1st 2 periods tonight, got a point. Takes a bad penalty, and then doesn't see much ice the rest of the way. I question Holland and Babs for signing Weiss in the first place, he seemed to be a perfect fit. Instead he's been mostly on the 4th line, and getting no PP time. 4.9 mil a year is too much for a guy that the team doesn't seem to be all in on. It's still early, but 4 points in 23 games isn't good enough. And Babs doesn't seem to have confidence in the guy.

He hasn't played with nearly the energy I saw him play with in FLA. Your energy level should show no matter where you are in lineup - see Tatar. His skating is much slower and he isn't playing the body as much. He isn't shooting much at all. I need SOMETHING from this guy to make me believe. I so badly want him to break out and I'm looking for things to compliment him on but tonight he didn't do much. The penalty he took was so dumb I couldn't believe it - was a complete game changer and I see why Babs benched him after - he needs to realize this effort is not acceptable.

He hasn't played with nearly the energy I saw him play with in FLA. Your energy level should show no matter where you are in lineup - see Tatar. His skating is much slower and he isn't playing the body as much. He isn't shooting much at all. I need SOMETHING from this guy to make me believe. I so badly want him to break out and I'm looking for things to compliment him on but tonight he didn't do much. The penalty he took was so dumb I couldn't believe it - was a complete game changer and I see why Babs benched him after - he needs to realize this effort is not acceptable.

You're right. I really want the guy to break out too, I was really excited when we signed Weiss because of what he had done in Florida. He doesn't look like the same guy right now, not sure what has to change to get him going. He needs to skate harder, and if he doesn't take penalties, get more and more ice. These next 4 games before Datsyuk comes back, are huge for trying to get him going.

You're right. I really want the guy to break out too, I was really excited when we signed Weiss because of what he had done in Florida. He doesn't look like the same guy right now, not sure what has to change to get him going. He needs to skate harder, and if he doesn't take penalties, get more and more ice. These next 4 games before Datsyuk comes back, are huge for trying to get him going.

He looks like he's playing with mono out there. Tats lost 3 teeth tonight and had more heart in his little finger than Weiss did in his entire body.

Edited by dirtydangles