• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#61 Franzine

Franzine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

Actually, his numbers are the same as Cleary's.  

So sadly, he hasn't been better.  

Penetrating analysis.

#62 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

i'm thinking weiss could use a confidence booster..

i'd love to see what weiss-datsyuk-tatar could do with pav healthy

This line is a good thought on paper and offensively but there wouldnt be any size or grit on that line. Bert needs to be there to create space and provide some size/strength to really open up the ice for pav.

Tatar is like a mini datsyuk and does well making plays/carrying the puck in for the 3rd line. Also top pairing defenseman will eat Tatar for lunch with their size/strength to easily take him off the puck.

Just my opinion.

#63 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,044 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

10 mins a game, all of those shifts with Cleary and Samuelsson. No PP or PK time, why do you think he's invisible? There are flashes every game, but not enough consistently. He's going to get it going eventually, he's too good a player. Hopefully when Datsyuk and Bertuzzi come back Babs does the logical thing and takes out Cleary and Samuelsson and plays Weiss with Datsyuk and Bertuzzi. Not only would be a good opportunity for Weiss, but it won't kill any of the other lines chemistry. 

#NOMOREKINDL

#64 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,984 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

Can contracts signed post-lockout/cap decrease be bought out using the amnesty buy out?

Not that Holland would do this, and not like I'm saying he should. Just curious.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#65 metalkorn

metalkorn

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Can contracts signed post-lockout/cap decrease be bought out using the amnesty buy out?

Not that Holland would do this, and not like I'm saying he should. Just curious.

I kind of thought it had to happen in the off-season - no source to quote on it though.

#66 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

I kind of thought it had to happen in the off-season - no source to quote on it though.

Correct. But amnesty buyouts that weren't used last off season can be used next off-season. Each team gets two total.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#67 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

It does have to happen in the off season. The question however, is it possible to buy a player out that was signed post lockout

#68 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

Weiss #90 suits him, he's playing like a 90 year old out there.. geez i would blow him away with hustle speed shot you name it. I'm baffled as to how this guy ever got a 4+m contract for 5 years. HOW?!?! Watch Datsyuk come back and Andersson get shafted cause of Weiss. 

#69 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

This line is a good thought on paper and offensively but there wouldnt be any size or grit on that line. Bert needs to be there to create space and provide some size/strength to really open up the ice for pav.

Tatar is like a mini datsyuk and does well making plays/carrying the puck in for the 3rd line. Also top pairing defenseman will eat Tatar for lunch with their size/strength to easily take him off the puck.

Just my opinion.

Agree with much, but Tatar isn't a mini-Dats. Not even close. Tatar can't play defense yet and is frequently knocked around by bigger players. He has a lot of offensive capabilities. He's fast, tenacious, and full of energy. He might even have a chip on his shoulder, which can't hurt at 23.

Now Nyquist, on the other hand, seems to have some of Datsyuk's stealthy puck-stealing skills.

#70 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

Weiss can not be bought out because his contact was signed  post lockout

edit- unless a normal buy out is used

Edited by mjtm77, 02 December 2013 - 05:00 PM.

Posted Image

#71 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:00 PM

Weiss #90 suits him, he's playing like a 90 year old out there.. geez i would blow him away with hustle speed shot you name it. I'm baffled as to how this guy ever got a 4+m contract for 5 years. HOW?!?! Watch Datsyuk come back and Andersson get shafted cause of Weiss. 

He got that contract based on his history. He had been a very effective player for a long time. Every analyst touted the contract given to him. Unfortunately, he has been inexplicably awful.

Weiss is playing on the 4th line, and Andersson is a mainstay on the penalty kill. It'll be Samuelsson or (more likely) Cleary who'll get the boot when Datsyuk returns.

Edited by Crymson, 02 December 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#72 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

Penetrating analysis.

Why do I have to penetrate someone?

Their stats are similarly putrid, and Cleary actually has a better plus/minus.  Of course Weiss is/should be a a better player at this point in his career, but it hasn't showed at all this year.  

Stats aren't everything, but in this case, they are.  Weiss and Cleary were brought in to contribute, and they've both sucked equally.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#73 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,984 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:58 AM

It does have to happen in the off season. The question however, is it possible to buy a player out that was signed post lockout

Bingo. That was my question. Yes.

Which mjtm77 was able to answer. Thanks.

Edited by rick zombo, 03 December 2013 - 01:10 AM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#74 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

With Z and Dats both out this is the perfect situation for Weiss to find his game. He will be playing top line minutes with better line mates and simply MUST put up points or we are screwed. If Weiss gets going out of this whole ordeal it may be worth it in the long run.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#75 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

If Weiss is ever going to break out, he has to do so when Pav and Z are out. However, since we continue to practice/play Weiss on the fourth line with the other two hanger-on plugs, one could guess that we have already given up on him.

I can't for the life of me think why Weiss wouldn't have been promoted during these tough times at center unless he was on his way out after less than 30 games. Don't get me wrong, Weiss has been a terrible disappointment and I have very little faith that he'll significantly snap out of it (read: earn his $5M per year contract), but if you were ever going to test it, now would be the time.

#76 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

i dont have any faith in him stepping up with Z and dats out. hope he proves me wrong

#77 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

He seriously needs to change his jersey number. That #90 is cursed

#78 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

If Weiss is ever going to break out, he has to do so when Pav and Z are out. However, since we continue to practice/play Weiss on the fourth line with the other two hanger-on plugs, one could guess that we have already given up on him.

I can't for the life of me think why Weiss wouldn't have been promoted during these tough times at center unless he was on his way out after less than 30 games. Don't get me wrong, Weiss has been a terrible disappointment and I have very little faith that he'll significantly snap out of it (read: earn his $5M per year contract), but if you were ever going to test it, now would be the time.

if he was on his way out why would he be on the fourth line...?

#79 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

He seriously needs to change his jersey number. That #90 is cursed

can't change numbers in the middle of the season.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#80 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

Play a skill guy with worthless plugs and you get exactly what we see from Weiss. If we would give him some actual linemates and not have him play with The Uh-Oh Twins, he could get back to where he has always been. Cleary and Samuelsson are two of the worst players in hockey. Sidney Crosby couldn't get those two on the scoresheet. I guess you only get around 30 games or it's to the 4th line with the two biggest anchors in the NHL for you. No wonder nobody wants to come here anymore. The thought of a solid two-way player like Weiss wasting away playing with those mental midgets sickens me.