• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#121 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,551 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

In those 10 seasons he's never played a full season...

01-02 only played 7 games
02-03 rookie season, scored 21 in 77 gp
03-04 scored 29 in 50 gp (on pace for 48 pts)
05-06 scored 21 in 41 gp (on pace for 42 pts)

06-07 scored 48 in 74 gp (on pace for 53 pts)

07-08 scored 42 in 74 gp (on pace for 47 pts)

08-09 scored 61 in 78 gp (on pace for 64 pts) mind you he's only 25/26 years old at this point
09-10 scored 60 in 80 gp (on pace for 62 pts)

10-11 scored 49 in 76 gp (on pace for 53 pts)
11-12 scored 57 in 80 gp (on pace for 58 pts)
12-13 only played 17 games, injured

He's hovered around 50 - 65 pt paces his entire career, on the FLORIDA PANTHERS, as their best player on the team

Coming to a good team like us, it's completely reasonable to think he can hit 70 pts when healthy and comfortable

Except he always got #1 minutes in Florida. On the PP, etc. That will give you better numbers.

Even if he was ripping it up in Detroit, he's still behind D and Z on the depth chart. He'll never get 70.

I think 50-65 points is a reasonable expectation for him.

With the way this season has been going, I'd be happy if he was able to finish with 35.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#122 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

Except he always got #1 minutes in Florida. On the PP, etc. That will give you better numbers.

Even if he was ripping it up in Detroit, he's still behind D and Z on the depth chart. He'll never get 70.

I think 50-65 points is a reasonable expectation for him.

With the way this season has been going, I'd be happy if he was able to finish with 35.

Of course as a 2nd line center he'll get less minutes. But he'd still get decent PP time and fill in time when Z and D are injured.

Plenty of 2nd line centers have hit 70+ points (Kesler is one I can think of off the top of my head)

Clearly he's not going to do that this year though. Hopefully the playoffs will be a different story for him.

#123 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

In those 10 seasons he's never played a full season...

01-02 only played 7 games
02-03 rookie season, scored 21 in 77 gp
03-04 scored 29 in 50 gp (on pace for 48 pts)
05-06 scored 21 in 41 gp (on pace for 42 pts)

06-07 scored 48 in 74 gp (on pace for 53 pts)

07-08 scored 42 in 74 gp (on pace for 47 pts)

08-09 scored 61 in 78 gp (on pace for 64 pts) mind you he's only 25/26 years old at this point
09-10 scored 60 in 80 gp (on pace for 62 pts)

10-11 scored 49 in 76 gp (on pace for 53 pts)
11-12 scored 57 in 80 gp (on pace for 58 pts)
12-13 only played 17 games, injured

He's hovered around 50 - 65 pt paces his entire career, on the FLORIDA PANTHERS, as their best player on the team

Coming to a good team like us, it's completely reasonable to think he can hit 70 pts when healthy and comfortable

its easy to boost anyones stats with (on pace pts) facts are those are his stats, its not easy for a player to play all 82 games 70+ is good enough for me .... as for weiss i just  think he might be  a player whos not suited for big market teams , maybe somewhere like edmonton/phoenix/colorado would be a better fit for him

i personally think the kids are the wings future and possibly jarnkrok or janmark will be our 2nd line center in 2-3 yrs and not weiss. he'd better turn it around soon or we might be screwed longterm or have no choice for a buyout at seasons end(if he ends up with under 20 pts we might have no choice)

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 05 December 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#124 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

I personally believe that Weiss is under so much pressure that it's affecting his performance. Coming from a team like Florida, and having such high expectations placed on him. I wish he'd wake his ass up and become the player he was brought here to be, dude's making me miss Fil.

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#125 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

Weiss is well aware of his struggles.

Talks about it.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#126 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

Hahaha that article calls Bertuzzi a star.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#127 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:45 PM

Hahaha that article calls Bertuzzi a star.

Wait... you mean the Sun-Sentinal isn't the all knowing authority on all things hockey? lol

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#128 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

Weiss has not looked good tonight. His positioning has been poor - he doesn't do a good job of making himself available for the puck which seems to big a major problem. 

#129 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

i cant take watching him play anymore he'd better turn it around or hes gonna be samuelsson #2 , i hope for his sake and ours hes playing hurt cause it looks like he doesnt have a care in the world , no hustle , nothing .... looks like hes just skating around the rink , doesnt look like a hockey player

#130 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

One more observation - he is consistently first off the ice on his line and just coasts off without skating to the bench - no work ethic of late. 

#131 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

Weiss played almost 16 min vs NJ and I honestly remember seeing him twice.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#132 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

All the progress he seemed to be making a while ago is gone. Zero confidence, zero will, all he wants to do is give the puck to someone and go change. 

Also his rythm is completely off, he keeps killing offense by making bad plays at the blueline that end up in offsides. 

#133 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

He is not playing well :/

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#134 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

Maybe he just doesn't fit with the style Mike Babcock likes? So the question would then be why did they sign him for 5 years? Without the only two stars he needs to step it up

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#135 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

I think he's hanging his head and feeling sorry for himself. His play is pretty uninspired. I don't know anything about the guys character so idk. It would be one thing if he was running around trying to do things and it wasn't working out but he looks like he doesn't want te puck and he wants off the ice as soon as possible

Edited by joesuffP, 06 December 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#136 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

I don't think he can play much worse - so at least he hit rock bottom and its only up from here....?

#137 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:03 AM

I don't think he can play much worse - so at least he hit rock bottom and its only up from here....?

how many more games could he be this bad and we can still use the old excuse ... well "maybe a change of scenery would do him good" ??

#138 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:44 AM

how many more games could he be this bad and we can still use the old excuse ... well "maybe a change of scenery would do him good" ??

He is a good hockey player who right now is either hurt or has an issue. Doesnt seem comfortable at all and He just is not playing well. I thought he looked decent at best tonight and maybe if he keeps getting ice time it will eventually "click" for him
Posted Image

#139 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:53 AM

No confidence for him at all. Something is bothering him. Like others have mentioned he wants to get rid of the puck first chance he gets and be the first off the ice on every shift. Something is a miss. Yes the fact is Weiss is under pressure and should be respectively. 

This season so far it ain't happening for Weiss. Sad but true. 

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 07 December 2013 - 01:53 AM.

#140 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

His play is mind-boggling. In Florida he was a heart and soul guy, a warrior fan-favorite. I don't see any of that and I was really excited to have him here. He has got to be the biggest mystery now that Franzen is back to being the Mule we all knew and loved.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.