• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Darren McCarty Book Excerpts

Rate this topic

I'm still in love.

For those who don't understand us fight slappies (not talking about anyone in particular, just kind of a round-up of anti-fighting sentiments), this is what I love.

Mac was a team player. He was a brother. Yes, he was the black sheep of the family, so to speak, but he was the protective brother. That's why we love the fighters. They're heart and soul. They'll do anything for those who are "theirs".

It's not about how many fights they can have or even how many they win, it's that they see a need to stand up and protect those they love. Yeah, love. In a big-brother, family, give-my-balls-for-you kind of love.

They're not just the police, although that analogy is as good as any. They're emotionally invested in the well-being of their teammates. When someone like that has your back, you're never alone.

Mental note to self: Get this book.

I started a thread awhile back when I first got the book on Amazon. It was a quick read and while not as well-written as Probie's book, it was a very frank, honest, and sincere look into how Mac sees hockey and himself. He had nothing but reverence for his old teammates, and you can tell there is a lot of love there. Definitely worth a read if you have time to kill. Like 55fan, I love Darren and what he brought to this team. The man has his demons, but he does the best he can with what he's got.

Going to buy his book for sure, McCarty alongside Kocur will always be remembered as one of my favorite DetroitRedWings. You can tell from all the stories, the team bonding in this group must have been unreal. I also fully agree with him about the best rivalry in all of sports, Detroit Colorado was just the way hockey nees to be a diamond to watch and enjoy.

Hopefully he can fully overcome his demons. Just reading that article was great oh so many great memories of that time, wish it would 1996 - 02 again.

Wait, maybe it's just the second one that's not working...?

At any rate, one of my big takeaways from this is that a wrestling match between Darren McCarty and Steve Yzerman literally almost killed the latter. Mad crazy irony right there.

I think its funny that even in horseplay joe kocur made kris draper piss blood afterwards. No such thing as takin it easy lol. Tough SOBs they were.

Actually, that part doesn't surprise me at all. It really only takes a couple good thumps to the kidneys. (I know this from my adventures with kidney stones, lolz.)

But they were definitely tough SOBs. You don't want to be in any kind of skirmish with Joey Kocur.

I was at the book signing tonight and I'm very glad that my friend went to get our wrist bands and purchase the books at lunch time.

They sold out of the book, ran out of the stock from the warehouse and the place was crazy with wing fans. Dmac was very funny, talked to

every person in line (we were the 93rd people to get signed) and is probably still signing books in the parking lot. He took pictures with everyone

and generally was a very nice guy.

He told the guy in front of me that he thinks the alumni game will be fun but he's not put on skates in over a year. He also said that while Drapes has a workout plan for the game, that he and Maltby would probably down some beers and go. I didn't ask him to sign my book "thanks for last night" but I was tempted. I asked him if my friend and I could "oreo" him for a picture and he laughed and said that was discussed in chapter 14. He grabbed the mic at one point and called the next group of numbers and told everyone that their order was ready for pick up.

I have some pics if anyone is interested. He looked really good. Felt even better, lol. He's a nice solid hunk of guy. Ahem from a female's perspective, lol.