• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

^ he's got good hands and is a goal scorer but there is a reason he fell in the draft. He is a big guy domainating kids. He is a good player but his points are inflated.
Posted Image

#22 Smite

Smite

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

1. Notable change for CAN today vs. SUI -- Jonathan Drouin moves from LW to C on a line with RW Anthony Mantha and LW Taylor Leier.

2. Jake Paterson expected to start in net for CAN vs SUI today (12 noon ET on TSN). If he plays well, good chance he'll be starter on Dec. 26.

Edited by Smite, 23 December 2013 - 09:31 AM.

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#23 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

Mantha with the hatty in the first game!  Looking good so far.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#24 Smite

Smite

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

Mantha with the hatty in the first game!  Looking good so far.

Do still get curly fries?

After a rough start Jake has been solid. 

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#25 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

I say he gets cut

I don't understand this comment. I haven't been following Canada's roster too closely but my understanding was always that Mantha is one of their biggest stars this year. Seems to be a lock on the 1st line and scored a hat-trick in the first game. Was there actually a chance that he would get cut?

#26 dmbongreyst

dmbongreyst

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

Not only did he get the hat trick but I really liked the way he scored them. Two of the three he went to the net and waited for the rebound on one and the pass on the other. Other than screening we don't see enough Wings skating hard to the net looking to make something happen. The wrap around was nice to see as well. That was the first of the WJ games I've seen this year. I was impressed but would like to see what he does against a higher quality opponent.

I thought Patterson played well. He didn't have any highlight stops but got the job done after the two early goals.

#27 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

Mantha is currently tied for the tournament lead with ten points (4G, 6A) in four games. He is also tied for best +/- with a +5.

#28 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

Can we have him up for the shootouts ?

tumblr_myssjzJjTp1rgjwupo4_250.gif

#29 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

Can we have him up for the shootouts ?

tumblr_myssjzJjTp1rgjwupo4_250.gif

This kid is built to succeed with Datsyuk's shootout strategy.

Dats usually goes backhand or forehand without too much flash, but the key is how wide his stick-handling is when he shoots.  Because he handles the puck far from his body when he approaches the goal (either to the left or the right, depending on his stick-handling pattern), he can drastically change his shooting angle on the net simply by going from a wide backhand to a wide forehand (or vice versa).  Its tough for a goalie to adjust to a change in shooting angle that quickly, which is where Datsyuk's success has typically been. Unfortunately this year he's been off the mark.

ANYWAY, Mantha is what, 6'4"?  That is a considerable wingspan, and if HE comes in handling the puck wide to one side or the other, that angle of attack is pretty much aimed from the face-off circle!  That's a tough game of angles for the goalie, when changing the angle of attack from one faceoff dot to the opposite one is just a matter of a single deke.  And if Mantha is as strong as they say (or realizes that body's full potential), he could really rip the puck, even if he is holding it far from his body.

#30 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, it's like Jagr, I remember some defenceman saying when he goes forehand-backhand, the puck moves laterally 12 feet across the ice

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk