Photo
- - - - -

Do Quincey and Smith have a future in Detroit?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

thinking ahead ericsson kronwall dekeyser and kindl are going nowhere ... lashoff is a good reliable cheap 6-7dman i can see here for a few more yrs and we got ouellet sproul backman marchenko with loads of potential who will be here 1-3 yrs ( i can see maybe ouellet up fulltime next year)

we got jensen with potential and some other big body dmen like dehaas,mckee who if were lucky can at the least be a 3rd pairing dman

the point to all this is i dont believe quincey and smith have a future in detroit and we should possibly look at getting rid of them especially quincey who cost us a 1st

i heard on sportsnet that edmonton is willing to give up there 1st (who could be a top 10) any chance of throwing them quincey smith and maybe somethin extra for that pick?id like to see  almquist called up and playing on the 2nd ppl unit rather than samuelsson and i dont think quincey being gone is gonna be the reason we wouldnt win a cup

#2 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

I would trade Kindl waaaaay before I would trade Smith.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#3 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

Kindl is going nowhere? Why exactly?

He's pretty much the perfect spare part to throw in as a bonus on a trade.

I would trade Kindl waaaaay before I would trade Smith.

Agreed.

#4 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,045 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

Smith is finally showing signs of getting better. Was a 1st round pick, that's gone thru all the processes of being a Wing. He's signed to a good contract, and other then Ericsson is the only tough defenceman we have going forward. He's part of the future. Quincey will be gone this summer, hopefully.

• Nev likes this

#NOMOREKINDL

#5 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

Smith needs more time to develop, he's still young and green. Look at Adam Larsson in New Jersey, pretty much the same scenario. He's a very young top Defensive prospect that has been pretty awful for the Devils so far. It's nothing a few healthy scratches and a few years of development won't fix over time. 

Young prospects aren't always going to join this team and be amazing from the start, it's a major transition to adjust to the NHL level from where they came from. Smith will be around for a while, and down the road we'll be happy he's here i'm sure.

I don't think Quincey has been as terrible as most think he has but it wouldn't hurt my feelings much if he moved on or was replaced.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#6 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

Kindl is going nowhere? Why exactly?

He's pretty much the perfect spare part to throw in as a bonus on a trade.

Agreed.

well since kindl got that new 4 yr deal at a reasonable cap # i assume the wings believe in him and he has been better these last 2 seasons

#7 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

Q has 0 future with this organization after this year from the way it looks now. Smith is not going anywhere. Lashoff is expendable once our young talent makes the move up and I see Kindl as expendable after Lashoff possibly in a trade. Kindl actually holds value right now but I don't think he is necessarily what this team needs long term.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#8 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

thinking ahead ericsson kronwall dekeyser and kindl are going nowhere ... lashoff is a good reliable cheap 6-7dman i can see here for a few more yrs and we got ouellet sproul backman marchenko with loads of potential who will be here 1-3 yrs ( i can see maybe ouellet up fulltime next year)

we got jensen with potential and some other big body dmen like dehaas,mckee who if were lucky can at the least be a 3rd pairing dman

You do realise you're talking about Oullet/Sproul/Backman/Marchenko/Jensen/deHaas/McKee exactly like people talked about Smith 1 - 2 years ago? 

Hockey forums - where undeveloped, unproven kids are always better than actual NHL players.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#9 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

Quincey is a free agent and won't be resigned. Kindl should be dealt. Smith will be a wing for a long time unless there's a deal we can't refuse. I'm starting to really like Smith.

#10 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

Someone hasn't been watching Smith closely since his return to the lineup. The kid looks like he's finally "getting it." He's going nowhere.

#11 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

Quincey wont be resigned.
Kindl will more than likely be packaged in a trade if he continues to flounder.
Smitty is here to stay.

Im thinking this is next years D core:

Kronner-E
Dekeyser-Trade Acquisition
Smith-Oullette/Almquist

Edited by RedWang, 03 December 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#12 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

well since kindl got that new 4 yr deal at a reasonable cap # i assume the wings believe in him and he has been better these last 2 seasons

I disagree that he's been better this season. He's taken a bit of a step backwards. Kindl is coming up on 27 years old on his 4th season in the NHL yet is plagued with the same issues he had in the minors. He's not terrible but as a 1st round pick at 19th overall, he's a disappointment to say the least.

He's a serviceable d-man who has never realized his potential. There's the off chance a change of scenery will allow him to take that step forward.

If the Wings got rid of Smith but kept Kindl (unless Smith was part of a package for a major star) then they front office has definitely gone off the rails.

#13 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

Quincey is toast. Smith has a long time yet until he's given up on.

#14 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

I wouldn't be sad to see both Quincey and Kindl be traded this deadline. (pipe dream i know) But Kronwall, E, Smith, DeKeyser, Lashoff,  plus the likes of Sproul, Oulette, Almquist (not ready) and everyone else that's down there. Add a gritty veteran somehow, and we have a pretty solid D corps. 

Edit: Smith absolutely has a future here. At times last game, himself and Karlsson didn't look to different on the ice. That's pretty exciting. 

Edited by CMatt89, 03 December 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#15 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

You do realise you're talking about Oullet/Sproul/Backman/Marchenko/Jensen/deHaas/McKee exactly like people talked about Smith 1 - 2 years ago? 

Hockey forums - where undeveloped, unproven kids are always better than actual NHL players.

yes all unproven and the chances of all of them succeeding are small ... but the chances of all these guys with loads of potential being all nhl busts are slim in my eyes

#16 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

I, Mr. Crystal Baller, foresee that Quincey will be dealt or not brought back, Kindl will be dealt, and Smith will be a Red Wing for a long time.

I, Mr. Armchair GM, would try to acquire Alex Edler for something like Quincey, Kindl, Pulkkinen, and a 1st-round pick.

Kronwall  Ericsson

Edler  DeKeyser

Smith  Lashoff

Almqvist

Don't Toews me, bro!

#17 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

I think Backman is really going to surprise a lot of people.  He already averages over 20min/night in the SEL.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#18 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

i think smith still has a future here as the organization will give him every chane to succeed. he as shown in the last few weeks a lot of reasons why the team should keep him around.

quincey i believe is on his way out. we wasted a 1st rounder to get him, which sucks, but i dont think it will be enough motivation to keep him when he has been pretty darned bad since coming back.

the only apprehension is that our D is very young. quincey is that additional veteran presence. i had hoped coming into the season that smith and dekeyser could play lights out and allow kenny to move quincey at the deadline and get something back for him. smith started real slow and dekeyser is hurt, so i think he will play out the year. the lost asset is less important than having a veteran blueliner. (though with as bad as quinceys been, he is really putting that line of thinking into question!) i also think the regression of kindl hurts the ability to move quincey this year.

overall i still think this defense needs to build from within. dekeyser has taken over what many projected smith to be as a legit top pairing guy as early as next year. to me that just means they need smith or kindl to be a top 4 guy while allowing other young guys to rotate into that bottom pairing.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#19 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:51 PM

Quincey won't be re-signed, because why would he?  Smith will be around for a while because he's young, and because he's getting better, and the Wings always give guys time to grow on defense.  Finally, in the right package I would certainly move Kindl (or any of them really) but I disagree that Kindl has been bad.  He's got 10 pts. a third of the way through the season.  During which time most of our offense has struggled to score.  If he ended the season with 30 pts. would anybody really be mad?  He's not paid to be good defensively.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#20 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

Quincey won't be re-signed, because why would he?  Smith will be around for a while because he's young, and because he's getting better, and the Wings always give guys time to grow on defense.  Finally, in the right package I would certainly move Kindl (or any of them really) but I disagree that Kindl has been bad.  He's got 10 pts. a third of the way through the season.  During which time most of our offense has struggled to score.  If he ended the season with 30 pts. would anybody really be mad?  He's not paid to be good defensively.

He has the 6th highest PP time on the entire team.  He damn well better have 10 points to show for that. 

He's been as turnover-prone as Quincey at times.  Of course defencemen are paid for their defence. 

Vince Lombardi