• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

Do Quincey and Smith have a future in Detroit?

Rate this topic

Defence may not be his strongest attribute but he's certainly paid not to be a liability. Which he is at times.

One could say the same about Quincey, Smith, and Lashoff, and none of them score as much as Kindl does. It's not like he's the only shaky d-man we've got, and it's not like he's the worst of them defensively either. But he scores more than they do, which is what he gets paid to do, and in that regard he's not missing the mark.

Quincy has no place on this team and I will be extremely disappointed if he is back here next year. I think Smith has a lot of potential, however Babcock does not utilize him properly. He gets no powerplay time for a guy like Kindl, who absolutely blows. Kindl is like a little boy with the puck- - never knows what to do with it once he gets it. 9 out of 10 times, Kindl decides to take a shot despite the fact that there is a guy directly in front of him, it gets blocked and goes right down the ice. Smith is a far better skater then Kindl, a better passer then Kindl and has better vision then Kindl. IF Babs would play Smith properly, and utilize his offensive potential, it would get Smith points and he would become more confident in himself. My point is that Smith has a future with this club, along with Kronners, Ericsson and Dekeyser.

I disagree that he's been better this season. He's taken a bit of a step backwards. Kindl is coming up on 27 years old on his 4th season in the NHL yet is plagued with the same issues he had in the minors. He's not terrible but as a 1st round pick at 19th overall, he's a disappointment to say the least.

He's a serviceable d-man who has never realized his potential. There's the off chance a change of scenery will allow him to take that step forward.

If the Wings got rid of Smith but kept Kindl (unless Smith was part of a package for a major star) then they front office has definitely gone off the rails.

Well, that depends on how you look at it. Let's look at some other #19 overall picks in comparison to Kindl....

2010 - Nick Bjugstad - 32 GP, 4 G, 7 A

2009 - Chris Kreider - 44 GP, 8 G, 11 A

2008 - Luca Sbisa - 245 GP, 8 G, 43 A

2007 - Logan McMillan - 0 GP, 0 G, 0 A

2006 - Mark Mitera - 0 GP, 0 G, 0 A

2005 - Jakub Kindl - 175 GP, 8 G, 32 A

2004 - Lauri Korpikoski - 354 GP, 57 G, 63 A

2003 - Ryan Getzlaf - 582 GP, 165 G, 387 A

2002 - Jakub Kories - 0 GP, 0 G, 0 A

2001 - Shaone Morrisonn - 480 GP, 11 G, 64 A

2000 - Krys Kolanos - 149 GP, 20 G, 22 A

1999 - Kirill Safronov - 35 GP, 2 G, 2 A

I know he's the highest Red Wings draft pick since Martin Lapointe in 1991 or whatever, so he seems like a really high draft pick that totally hasn't met expectations since he took a while to develop and doesn't light the world on fire. But, when viewed with a wider gaze, he isn't Getzlaf (obviously), but neither does he seem to be "a disappointment to say the least" "as a 1st round pick 19th overall."

That's just my opinion, though.

To be fair to the topic starter that's not the question that was put up for discussion.

They just felt Smith was more the odd-man out with Kindl's contract.

i like smith , nothing against him i just feel maybe redwings believe in him more? and only time will tell but i think sproul and ouellet arent far off and in my opinion think theyll be future top 4 guys and i see other guys competing for jobs so i see quincey and i guess smith out but i can see maybe kindl in a package deal to someone since he has 3 yrs at a good cap number

Well, that depends on how you look at it. Let's look at some other #19 overall picks in comparison to Kindl....

2010 - Nick Bjugstad - 32 GP, 4 G, 7 A

2009 - Chris Kreider - 44 GP, 8 G, 11 A

2008 - Luca Sbisa - 245 GP, 8 G, 43 A

2007 - Logan McMillan - 0 GP, 0 G, 0 A

2006 - Mark Mitera - 0 GP, 0 G, 0 A

2005 - Jakub Kindl - 175 GP, 8 G, 32 A

2004 - Lauri Korpikoski - 354 GP, 57 G, 63 A

2003 - Ryan Getzlaf - 582 GP, 165 G, 387 A

2002 - Jakub Kories - 0 GP, 0 G, 0 A

2001 - Shaone Morrisonn - 480 GP, 11 G, 64 A

2000 - Krys Kolanos - 149 GP, 20 G, 22 A

1999 - Kirill Safronov - 35 GP, 2 G, 2 A

I know he's the highest Red Wings draft pick since Martin Lapointe in 1991 or whatever, so he seems like a really high draft pick that totally hasn't met expectations since he took a while to develop and doesn't light the world on fire. But, when viewed with a wider gaze, he isn't Getzlaf (obviously), but neither does he seem to be "a disappointment to say the least" "as a 1st round pick 19th overall."

That's just my opinion, though.

At the time he was the first 1st round pick they've had since Kronwall, and as you mention the highest pick they've had since Marty Lapointe in 91.

So I'm guessing they had much higher hopes than an inconsistent bottom pairing guy is all I meant. I realize that prospects are largely a crapshoot.

yes all unproven and the chances of all of them succeeding are small ... but the chances of all these guys with loads of potential being all nhl busts are slim in my eyes

I agree - Sproul and Oullet in particular. However, we've seen this so many times with our realgud prospects, especially defensive ones.

In the minors - This kid is great! Why isn't he on the Wings???? Ken Holland you suck!

First few games - This kid is great! He's got a really great future here

40 games later - This kid sucks!! He needs to be traded whilst he still has value! Ken Holland you suck!

5 seasons later - This kid is a solid piece of our core.

I am only a kindl hater because he brings no defensive or physical value. He really may be the only person I have seen who shies away from hits, which is pathetic

I think that's overstating it a bit. He brings some defensive value and he's not the only person I've seen shy away from hits, but it is easy to forget just how big he is. The guy is 6'3" and 216 lbs, which makes him the second biggest Dman behind Ericsson, but he plays much smaller.

If he gets caught with a big hit retrieving the puck in the corner it usually seems to get him off his game.

Smith's going nowhere, as others have said.

Quincey could be interesting. I'm not sure he's as "done" as some people think. If Detroit could package Kindl in a deal with another team for a forward, I think they might be up for moving him instead. I also don't think the Wings are willing to lose Almqvist for nothing. My personal desired defensive core for next season would look something like:

Kronwall-Ericsson

Kindl/Smith-DeKeyser

Smith/Kindl-Lashoff

Almqvist

I'd love for the team to move on from Quincey, but I'm not entirely sure they will. Going forward, I think the team has a ton of depth on the back-end that we probably won't see for awhile, but I think pairings like Ouellet-Sproul, Backman-Marchenko, McKee-Jensen, etc will pop up eventually. I'm really excited about the depth on defense.

I think that's overstating it a bit. He brings some defensive value and he's not the only person I've seen shy away from hits, but it is easy to forget just how big he is. The guy is 6'3" and 216 lbs, which makes him the second biggest Dman behind Ericsson, but he plays much smaller.

If he gets caught with a big hit retrieving the puck in the corner it usually seems to get him off his game.

The second half of your statement is particularly true, it's very easy to rattle him physically

With regards to Q, I think his problem is obvious. He sucks because he doesn't want to be in Detroit. He played much better in CO and is said to be an avid outdoorsman. I think he's simply unhappy with where he is. It was a dumb trade by Holland and Quincey will bolt as soon as his contract expires. At least I hope so.

First White then Quincey. The Wings have brought in some D that have really gone to crap lately. I think both Kindl and Smith could have used a veteran D to help groom their game a bit. Quincey is not this player. I wonder what Cheli is up too? lol

http://www.freep.com/article/20131205/SPORTS05/312050094/detroit-red-wings-kyle-quincy-trade

First of the Wings reporters to join the alliance. Colorado have been said to be looking for a D-man, and Q clearly hasn't been the same since leaving. So when Danny D comes back, deal him off for a pick? Sign me up.

http://www.freep.com/article/20131205/SPORTS05/312050094/detroit-red-wings-kyle-quincy-trade

First of the Wings reporters to join the alliance. Colorado have been said to be looking for a D-man, and Q clearly hasn't been the same since leaving. So when Danny D comes back, deal him off for a pick? Sign me up.

"Quincey has been mediocre since arriving via trade in February 2012."

Wow, for a beat reporter - and a beat reporter who catches a lot of flak for being (in the eyes of some fans) little more than a mouthpiece for Ken Holland, those are incredibly strong words. Thats the kind of language that ass-hat columnists like Drew Sharp use, not a beat reporter who spends every day in and around the locker room.

That's a pretty bad article. It's almost as if a poster from this site wrote it and attached Helene's name to it. It's been WIDELY reported that every NHL team is either too close to the cap or at its maximum budget this season, nobody has the ability to take on salary. Basically it says "Quincey sucks, let's trade him, somebody will give us value in return" without mentioning any possibilities. She then mentions how waiving Samuelsson wouldn't help, but makes no mention of waiving Cleary, who's been painful to watch.

"Quincey has been mediocre since arriving via trade in February 2012."

Wow, for a beat reporter - and a beat reporter who catches a lot of flak for being (in the eyes of some fans) little more than a mouthpiece for Ken Holland, those are incredibly strong words. Thats the kind of language that ass-hat columnists like Drew Sharp use, not a beat reporter who spends every day in and around the locker room.

Seems like a pretty fair assessment. Q has been mediocre at best. Some nights he has been downright awful. What's wrong with using "mediocre?"

Haha...I saw this article today and was pretty happy. Helene finally takes a stand on something...and since she won't be able to show her face in the locker room for a while, it must be an indication of how bad things really are.

Seems like a pretty fair assessment. Q has been mediocre at best. Some nights he has been downright awful. What's wrong with using "mediocre?"

Because she's a beat writer. She's in the locker room every day talking to the players, flying on the plane with them to road games etc. Beat writers don't insult players, they try and chummy up to them, so they're more likely to get a decent quote out of them for their daily updates.