Photo
- - - - -

Do Quincey and Smith have a future in Detroit?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

Defence may not be his strongest attribute but he's certainly paid not to be a liability.  Which he is at times.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#22 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

One of the worst questions I've seen in awhile. Kindl or smith? LOL

#23 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

One of the worst questions I've seen in awhile. Kindl or smith? LOL

To be fair to the topic starter that's not the question that was put up for discussion.

They just felt Smith was more the odd-man out with Kindl's contract.  

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#24 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,728 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

John Erskine has scored as many points the last few seasons as Quincey.  Erskine didn't get traded for a top pick.  Quincey has become nothing more than a 3rd pairing jobber, and one that doesn't fight or intimidate people to boot.  

Smith can still save himself, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone next season.  He was supposed to be our top prospect a few years ago.  Very disappointing so far. 

Edited by GMRwings1983, 03 December 2013 - 08:02 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#25 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

To be fair to the topic starter that's not the question that was put up for discussion.

Odd man out for who? The way ken Holland does things Sproul and oullete won't be up for at least five years.

#26 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

Defence may not be his strongest attribute but he's certainly paid not to be a liability.  Which he is at times.

One could say the same about Quincey, Smith, and Lashoff, and none of them score as much as Kindl does.  It's not like he's the only shaky d-man we've got, and it's not like he's the worst of them defensively either.  But he scores more than they do, which is what he gets paid to do, and in that regard he's not missing the mark. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#27 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

I think Quincey's replacement is in Grand Rapids

#28 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

Quincy has no place on this team and I will be extremely disappointed if he is back here next year. I think Smith has a lot of potential, however Babcock does not utilize him properly. He gets no powerplay time for a guy like Kindl, who absolutely blows. Kindl is like a little boy with the puck- - never knows what to do with it once he gets it. 9 out of 10 times, Kindl decides to take a shot despite the fact that there is a guy directly in front of him, it gets blocked and goes right down the ice. Smith is a far better skater then Kindl, a better passer then Kindl and has better vision then Kindl. IF Babs would play Smith properly, and utilize his offensive potential, it would get Smith points and he would become more confident in himself. My point is that Smith has a future with this club, along with Kronners, Ericsson and Dekeyser.

#29 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:20 PM

I disagree that he's been better this season. He's taken a bit of a step backwards. Kindl is coming up on 27 years old on his 4th season in the NHL yet is plagued with the same issues he had in the minors. He's not terrible but as a 1st round pick at 19th overall, he's a disappointment to say the least.

He's a serviceable d-man who has never realized his potential. There's the off chance a change of scenery will allow him to take that step forward.

If the Wings got rid of Smith but kept Kindl (unless Smith was part of a package for a major star) then they front office has definitely gone off the rails.

Well, that depends on how you look at it.  Let's look at some other #19 overall picks in comparison to Kindl....

2010 - Nick Bjugstad - 32 GP, 4 G, 7 A

2009 - Chris Kreider - 44 GP, 8 G, 11 A

2008 - Luca Sbisa - 245 GP, 8 G, 43 A

2007 - Logan McMillan - 0 GP, 0 G, 0 A

2006 - Mark Mitera - 0 GP, 0 G, 0 A

2005 - Jakub Kindl - 175 GP, 8 G, 32 A

2004 - Lauri Korpikoski - 354 GP, 57 G, 63 A

2003 - Ryan Getzlaf - 582 GP, 165 G, 387 A

2002 - Jakub Kories - 0 GP, 0 G, 0 A

2001 - Shaone Morrisonn - 480 GP, 11 G, 64 A

2000 - Krys Kolanos - 149 GP, 20 G, 22 A

1999 - Kirill Safronov - 35 GP, 2 G, 2 A

I know he's the highest Red Wings draft pick since Martin Lapointe in 1991 or whatever, so he seems like a really high draft pick that totally hasn't met expectations since he took a while to develop and doesn't light the world on fire.  But, when viewed with a wider gaze, he isn't Getzlaf (obviously), but neither does he seem to be "a disappointment to say the least" "as a 1st round pick 19th overall."

That's just my opinion, though.

#30 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:26 PM

I think Kindl is still trending upward. I wouldn't be heartbroken if he ended up elsewhere, but I also think he has a place on this team and his role is steadily increasing.

#31 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

i like smith , nothing against him i just feel maybe redwings believe in him more? and only time will tell but i think sproul and ouellet arent far off and in my opinion think theyll be future top 4 guys and i see other guys competing for jobs so i see quincey and i guess smith out but i can see maybe kindl in a package deal to someone since he has 3 yrs at a good cap number

#32 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,913 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

Well, that depends on how you look at it.  Let's look at some other #19 overall picks in comparison to Kindl....

2010 - Nick Bjugstad - 32 GP, 4 G, 7 A
2009 - Chris Kreider - 44 GP, 8 G, 11 A
2008 - Luca Sbisa - 245 GP, 8 G, 43 A
2007 - Logan McMillan - 0 GP, 0 G, 0 A
2006 - Mark Mitera - 0 GP, 0 G, 0 A
2005 - Jakub Kindl - 175 GP, 8 G, 32 A
2004 - Lauri Korpikoski - 354 GP, 57 G, 63 A
2003 - Ryan Getzlaf - 582 GP, 165 G, 387 A
2002 - Jakub Kories - 0 GP, 0 G, 0 A
2001 - Shaone Morrisonn - 480 GP, 11 G, 64 A
2000 - Krys Kolanos - 149 GP, 20 G, 22 A
1999 - Kirill Safronov - 35 GP, 2 G, 2 A

I know he's the highest Red Wings draft pick since Martin Lapointe in 1991 or whatever, so he seems like a really high draft pick that totally hasn't met expectations since he took a while to develop and doesn't light the world on fire.  But, when viewed with a wider gaze, he isn't Getzlaf (obviously), but neither does he seem to be "a disappointment to say the least" "as a 1st round pick 19th overall."

That's just my opinion, though.

At the time he was the first 1st round pick they've had since Kronwall, and as you mention the highest pick they've had since Marty Lapointe in 91.

So I'm guessing they had much higher hopes than an inconsistent bottom pairing guy is all I meant. I realize that prospects are largely a crapshoot.

#33 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:44 AM

yes all unproven and the chances of all of them succeeding are small ... but the chances of all these guys with loads of potential being all nhl busts are slim in my eyes

I agree - Sproul and Oullet in particular.  However, we've seen this so many times with our realgud prospects, especially defensive ones.

In the minors - This kid is great!  Why isn't he on the Wings????  Ken Holland you suck!

First few games - This kid is great!  He's got a really great future here

40 games later - This kid sucks!!  He needs to be traded whilst he still has value!  Ken Holland you suck!

5 seasons later - This kid is a solid piece of our core.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#34 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:43 AM

I am only a kindl hater because he brings no defensive or physical value. He really may be the only person I have seen who shies away from hits, which is pathetic
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#35 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:54 AM

OR = Yes

And = Maybe

#36 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:32 AM

i hope not

My wish: A healthy roster

#37 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,913 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

I am only a kindl hater because he brings no defensive or physical value. He really may be the only person I have seen who shies away from hits, which is pathetic

I think that's overstating it a bit. He brings some defensive value and he's not the only person I've seen shy away from hits, but it is easy to forget just how big he is. The guy is 6'3" and 216 lbs, which makes him the second biggest Dman behind Ericsson, but he plays much smaller.

If he gets caught with a big hit retrieving the puck in the corner it usually seems to get him off his game.

#38 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

off topic but read that florida is trying to get rid of kulikov , would anyone here trade up kindl for kulikov if only kulikov agrees to sign with detroit for a kindl type deal (2.4 for 3-4 yrs) theres worry he might go to the khl in the off season so no he wouldnt be worth a risk if he doesnt resign

#39 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Smith's going nowhere, as others have said.

Quincey could be interesting. I'm not sure he's as "done" as some people think. If Detroit could package Kindl in a deal with another team for a forward, I think they might be up for moving him instead. I also don't think the Wings are willing to lose Almqvist for nothing. My personal desired defensive core for next season would look something like:

Kronwall-Ericsson

Kindl/Smith-DeKeyser

Smith/Kindl-Lashoff

Almqvist

I'd love for the team to move on from Quincey, but I'm not entirely sure they will. Going forward, I think the team has a ton of depth on the back-end that we probably won't see for awhile, but I think pairings like Ouellet-Sproul, Backman-Marchenko, McKee-Jensen, etc will pop up eventually. I'm really excited about the depth on defense.

#40 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:44 PM

Quincey could be interesting. I'm not sure he's as "done" as some people think.

Quincey is horrible.  Unless it is a one year two way contract at league minimum, with no ntc clause, I would be disgusted if the Wings re-signed him.