Photo
- - - - -

Do Quincey and Smith have a future in Detroit?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

I think that's overstating it a bit. He brings some defensive value and he's not the only person I've seen shy away from hits, but it is easy to forget just how big he is. The guy is 6'3" and 216 lbs, which makes him the second biggest Dman behind Ericsson, but he plays much smaller.

If he gets caught with a big hit retrieving the puck in the corner it usually seems to get him off his game.

The second half of your statement is particularly true, it's very easy to rattle him physically
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#42 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

With regards to Q, I think his problem is obvious. He sucks because he doesn't want to be in Detroit. He played much better in CO and is said to be an avid outdoorsman. I think he's simply unhappy with where he is. It was a dumb trade by Holland and Quincey will bolt as soon as his contract expires. At least I hope so.

#43 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

First White then Quincey. The Wings have brought in some D that have really gone to crap lately. I think both Kindl and Smith could have used a veteran D to help groom their game a bit. Quincey is not this player. I wonder what Cheli is up too? lol

#44 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,043 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

http://www.freep.com...le-quincy-trade

First of the Wings reporters to join the alliance. Colorado have been said to be looking for a D-man, and Q clearly hasn't been the same since leaving. So when Danny D comes back, deal him off for a pick? Sign me up.

#NOMOREKINDL

#45 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

Quincey is horrible.  Unless it is a one year two way contract at league minimum, with no ntc clause, I would be disgusted if the Wings re-signed him.

That offer is too high.

#46 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

First of the Wings reporters to join the alliance. Colorado have been said to be looking for a D-man, and Q clearly hasn't been the same since leaving. So when Danny D comes back, deal him off for a pick? Sign me up.

"Quincey has been mediocre since arriving via trade in February 2012."

Wow, for a beat reporter - and a beat reporter who catches a lot of flak for being (in the eyes of some fans) little more than a mouthpiece for Ken Holland, those are incredibly strong words.  Thats the kind of language that ass-hat columnists like Drew Sharp use, not a beat reporter who spends every day in and around the locker room.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#47 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

That's a pretty bad article.  It's almost as if a poster from this site wrote it and attached Helene's name to it.  It's been WIDELY reported that every NHL team is either too close to the cap or at its maximum budget this season, nobody has the ability to take on salary.  Basically it says "Quincey sucks, let's trade him, somebody will give us value in return" without mentioning any possibilities.  She then mentions how waiving Samuelsson wouldn't help, but makes no mention of waiving Cleary, who's been painful to watch.

#48 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:50 PM

"Quincey has been mediocre since arriving via trade in February 2012."

Wow, for a beat reporter - and a beat reporter who catches a lot of flak for being (in the eyes of some fans) little more than a mouthpiece for Ken Holland, those are incredibly strong words.  Thats the kind of language that ass-hat columnists like Drew Sharp use, not a beat reporter who spends every day in and around the locker room.

Seems like a pretty fair assessment. Q has been mediocre at best. Some nights he has been downright awful. What's wrong with using "mediocre?"

#49 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:58 PM

Haha...I saw this article today and was pretty happy. Helene finally takes a stand on something...and since she won't be able to show her face in the locker room for a while, it must be an indication of how bad things really are.

#50 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:56 AM

Seems like a pretty fair assessment. Q has been mediocre at best. Some nights he has been downright awful. What's wrong with using "mediocre?"

Because she's a beat writer.  She's in the locker room every day talking to the players, flying on the plane with them to road games etc.  Beat writers don't insult players, they try and chummy up to them, so they're more likely to get a decent quote out of them for their daily updates.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#51 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

Because she's a beat writer.  She's in the locker room every day talking to the players, flying on the plane with them to road games etc.  Beat writers don't insult players, they try and chummy up to them, so they're more likely to get a decent quote out of them for their daily updates.

Sounds like an awful job.

#52 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

Sounds like an awful job.

One I'd be glad to take off her hands!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#53 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

Call me krayzie but I think there both just as good as Ericsson. I do not really getwhat Holland sees in him to give him that kind of money. Well Smith makes a lot of mistakes still but I think Quincey has been a lot better this year.

#54 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

Quincey needs to go after this year. My mind would be blown if Ken brought him back. He doesn't really provide anything, in particular. He's a pretty big guy, but doesn't really play physical. His offensive production has completely disappeared, and he's not particlarly good defensively.

I think there is still hope for Smith. He definitely needs to work on his defensive mechanics. In the games I've seen this year, he's made terrible passes through the middle of the ice in his own zone, pinched at horrible times, and been easily knocked off the puck. If he can't step it up, he better alter his game, as in play more physical and drop the gloves more often. I still think he has potential to develop, though. Being paired with Quincey has not helped him.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#55 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

Quincey no, Smith, yes. Trade Q to a team hit by injuries for a conditional pick.

#56 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

As long as smith is keeping plays going in the O-zone he won't have to deal with as much pressure in his own end. Smith's defence is a good offence. For this reason we see Smith shine when he is out there with the top lines where they make tight plays to keep possession etc. whereas he is exposed when we have our bottom 6 out which maintains less pressure. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#57 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Maybe in all the time St. James has spent with the team, Q has admitted to being less than mediocre. Maybe mediocre doesn't seem like an insult to the guy at this point.

I, for one, would appreciate a reporter who tells it like it is. Not one who is afraid to criticize a team/players for fear of missing out on a juicy quote. We get enough rubbish shoved in our craws by the nightly newscasts and propagandist papers. I don't need another helping in my sports reporting.

#58 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

I think there is still hope for Smith.

Dude's only 24! And this is only his second go-around as a regular! He drives me crazy most nights, but that's to be expected with a young offensive defenseman.

Quincey, on the other hand....

Don't Toews me, bro!

#59 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,043 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

Dallas has lost alot of bodies on the back end. Pittsburgh has too. Just get rid of Quincey, game after game, he just keeps making mistakes. He's -12 again after tonight, that's not good enough for a top 4 defenceman who plays 20mins a night, 29 years old who we gave up a 1st round pick for. He couldn't hit the net from 5 feet away, I've seen him miss enough this year to know. UFA at the end of the year, move him so we have some roster flexibility. Play some kids, couldn't be much worse and they will be part of the future, Q won't be.

#NOMOREKINDL

#60 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

Quincey no, Smith, yes. Trade Q to a team hit by injuries for a conditional pick.

there is a great return on your investment... waste a 1st round pick to get him, re-sign him when he was an RFA knowing that if someone else signed him you could have had at least a 3rd rounder, now the best we can get in return is a conditional pick...Holland s*** the bed on that trade.  I know I was ok with it initially, but soured soon after and have hated him since before he re-signed...Holland's worst trade ever...

...if I can't trade him, I waive Q tonight along with Cleary.  too much money and taking up roster spots that could be given to a youngster who cares to be on this team...

Edited by LeftWinger, 07 December 2013 - 10:03 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?