Photo
- - - - -

Do Quincey and Smith have a future in Detroit?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

there is a great return on your investment... waste a 1st round pick to get him, re-sign him when he was an RFA knowing that if someone else signed him you could have had at least a 3rd rounder, now the best we can get in return is a conditional pick...Holland s*** the bed on that trade.  I know I was ok with it initially, but soured soon after and have hated him since before he re-signed...Holland's worst trade ever...

...if I can't trade him, I waive Q tonight along with Cleary.  too much money and taking up roster spots that could be given to a youngster who cares to be on this team...

No you didn't.  Here's what you said in May, 2012.  Months after he'd been traded for, and while he was a free agent. 

"Offer him a 5 year $3M per contract. A bit less money, but more security and more money to make the team better. If he doesn't agree, then let him decide what he wants to do. Get the 1st and 3rd round draft picks if he signs for more that elsewhere...Win-Win situation."

Here's where you said it:  http://www.letsgowin...de#entry2299045.

Apparently when you say you "soured soon after" what you really mean is that it would be a "win" if the Wings had re-signed him for FIVE years at 3 million dollars. 

Get real dude.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#62 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

I think Backman is really going to surprise a lot of people.  He already averages over 20min/night in the SEL.

Agreed. Mattias Janmark is tearing up the Elite league at 20 too...I think both those guys are underrated.

Our defence prospects are incredible and its arguable, based on what I've read, that Backman could be as good as any of them. Right now though, I'd say the list looks something like this.

1. Sproul...exceeding all expectations.
2. Ouellett/Backman...same type playerr, different league.
3. Almquist

In 3-4 years, I'd expect...

Dekeyser Sproul
Kronwall Ericsson
Ouellett. Backman

No you didn't.  Here's what you said in May, 2012.  Months after he'd been traded for, and while he was a free agent. 

"Offer him a 5 year $3M per contract. A bit less money, but more security and more money to make the team better. If he doesn't agree, then let him decide what he wants to do. Get the 1st and 3rd round draft picks if he signs for more that elsewhere...Win-Win situation."

Here's where you said it:  http://www.letsgowin...de#entry2299045.

Apparently when you say you "soured soon after" what you really mean is that it would be a "win" if the Wings had re-signed him for FIVE years at 3 million dollars. 

Get real dude.

Lol. Facts...facts are sweet.

#63 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:57 AM

I always think it's funny that everyone complains about how long the Wings leave kids in the AHL to develop but then when they bring one up everyone is mad that they take a while to adjust.
Never happy around here
  • Nev likes this

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#64 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

I always think it's funny that everyone complains about how long the Wings leave kids in the AHL to develop but then when they bring one up everyone is mad that they take a while to adjust.
Never happy around here

i dont understand your point...

to me, when the wings bury someone in the ahl for 3 years, once they do get the call, they should be ready. thats the entire point of having them down there. if someone is 19 and coming straight out of the chl, i understand being patient. but when our rookies are 24 and been playing north american pro hockey for over 200 games, then expectations are high that they can step into limited roles pretty quickly.

i just dont see how you can be baffled by 2 things that are basically cause and effect.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#65 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

Never happy around here

i dont understand your point...

to me, when the wings bury someone in the ahl for 3 years, once they do get the call, they should be ready. thats the entire point of having them down there. if someone is 19 and coming straight out of the chl, i understand being patient. but when our rookies are 24 and been playing north american pro hockey for over 200 games, then expectations are high that they can step into limited roles pretty quickly.

i just dont see how you can be baffled by 2 things that are basically cause and effect.

The AHL is a different game, it's a slower pace with more mistakes.  If you leave a prospect in the AHL for 3 years with little-to-no NHL exposure, he'll become accustomed to that level of play and will have big adjustments to make once he gets to the NHL.  That's what the Wings do most of the time, they may give their prospects 20ish games of limited icetime before they have to make the club or be lost to waivers.  In the future, I'd like to see a little more room left open on the roster so these guys can get more of a taste of the action, and so the Wings' brass can see what they have in their prospects firsthand.

#66 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

The AHL is a different game, it's a slower pace with more mistakes.  If you leave a prospect in the AHL for 3 years with little-to-no NHL exposure, he'll become accustomed to that level of play and will have big adjustments to make once he gets to the NHL.  That's what the Wings do most of the time, they may give their prospects 20ish games of limited icetime before they have to make the club or be lost to waivers.  In the future, I'd like to see a little more room left open on the roster so these guys can get more of a taste of the action, and so the Wings' brass can see what they have in their prospects firsthand.

the ahl is not a differet game. its the same style as the nhl played a slightly lower level. thats the reason al teams put their prospects there, to simulate the nhl as best as possible without being there. thats the reason european players will come over and play in the ahl first to try and acclimate to the NA style and rink size. thats the reason something like 90% of nhl players have ahl experience.

of course in the best case scenario players would get a few games in the show early on so they know what to work on and what its like. im not disputing that. nor am i disputing that player should get more nhl time before they run out of waiver options. i think the wings wait too long actually. however, thats not the point i was making.

i think players that have been in the ahl multiple seasons and are 24ish years old should be able to step right into the nhl in limited roles. will they be the same player on day 1 that they are with 5 years experience? of course not. but with how old are players are when they break in, they shouldnt have much of a learning curve. thats my point.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#67 SouthernHockeyHoney

SouthernHockeyHoney

Rookie

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

Dude's only 24! And this is only his second go-around as a regular! He drives me crazy most nights, but that's to be expected with a young offensive defenseman.

Quincey, on the other hand....

I remember not too many years ago people saying the exact same thing about Ericsson as they are saying now about Smith. I cringed every time "E" got near the puck. I agree with the others who said that Smith is here to stay and just needs a little more time to adjust to the big league.

Edited by SouthernHockeyHoney, 11 December 2013 - 07:06 PM.

The only thing better than a cold glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill.

#68 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

Smith needs to be on the 2nd PP unit it's ridiculous. Did you see those lines last night I think Babs had Weiss playing the point. Babs is using smith like a shut down defensemen
At least Smith will be able to back the penalty killers while trying to enter the zone. Kindl glides all the way to the red line and tries a drop pass that the whole arena can read