• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
drumnj

Who's Ready For Tons of Outdoor Hockey? (Winter Festival and Class

Rate this topic

Dang title getting truncated...why have the field accept more characters when it'll just cut them off.

Thought it would be nice to have some kind of pre-event discussion regarding the Hockeytown Winter Festival and Winter Classic. I hope to cover a lot of info in here, with stuff I've learned over the past month or so, including what I got in the mail, from the Detroit Red Wings Box office.

I'm prepared ;) (I actually have too many)
iya4.jpg
I blanked out the bar-codes

Winter Classic - Michigan Stadium

Schedule

January 1st, 2014 -- NBC, Postgame: FSD

Game Starts: 1pm

Gates Open: 10am

No Re-entry, even with ticket, except for cases involving an emergency.

Live Cam
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=500909

General Info and Map
Official Gameday Guide (same one that they sent to me in the picture)
Various Links:

Prohibited Items
They really are stressing: No bags or purses of any kind

Full list of items: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=633254

along with all policies: http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=79817

Ticket Info

I was told during a discussion regarding transferring/selling tickets with the Red Wings box office that only official hard tickets will be accepted at the gates for the Winter Classic. This was why those that used the Red Wings ticket manager system you could not print or transfer the Winter Classic tickets. So these tickets will be like the ones sent out (see picture) or the basic "boring" ones Ticketmaster prints (like my OHL/AHL tickets) as they only had the hard copy option (per juiceman). I would be wary of anyone selling tickets that aren't actual hard tickets. Tickets sent out by the Red Wings box office started arriving Dec 2nd to customers. Tickets are being sold through the Ticketmaster Ticket Exchange site (TIckets Now), information regarding this is also supported through the Red Wings box office...as they sent out a notice for it.

Scan of ticket (back): 2y2y.th.png

Mobile App

http://www.winterclassic14.com

More information can be found here (specifically at the bottom): http://www.nhl.com/ice/event.htm?location=/winterclassic/2014/microsite

Hockeytown Winter Festival - Comerica Park

Schedule

Open Skates and various events: Dec 14-26

Great Lakes Invitational (Day 1): Dec 27 -- FSD PLUS

MSU vs MTU @ 3:30pm

WMU vs UM @ 7pm

Gates Open: 2:30pm

Great Lakes Invitational (Day 2): Dec 28 -- FSD (Tape delay for Championship game)

Consolation Game @ 3:30pm

Championship Game @ 7pm

Gates Open: 2:30pm

OHL Doubleheader: Dec 29

Windsor Spitfires vs Saginaw Spirit @ 1:30pm

London Knights vs Plymouth Whalers @ 5pm

Gates Open: 12:30pm

AHL Game: Dec 30 -- FSD

Toronto Marlies vs Grand Rapids Griffins @ 5pm

Gates Open: 4pm

Alumni Showdown Double Header -- FSD

Game 1 @ 1pm

Game 2 @ 3:30pm

Gates Open: 12pm

Re-entry is allowed for all games.

Live Cam

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=93923

General Info and Map

Fan Guide: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_PX4ibG6pMlLVVuRnhHSlQ2Vmc

There will be free autographs each day, at 3 different booths, leading up to the alumni game (no autographs that day)...in the Fan Zone They don't have a specific schedule or who listed yet.

They will have an open skate on a synthetic ice rink for each event day, in the Fan Zone.

Coke Zero Fan Zone

Free to those with a ticket for that day's event. $5 per person for all others, per day. Re-entry is allowed

Hours

Dec 27: 1pm-10pm

Dec 28: 1pm-10pm

Dec 29: 11am-8pm

Dec 30: 1pm-8pm

Dec 31: 11am-4pm

Blue Info Sheet: dba0.th.png

Prohibited Items

Pretty standard list of items that aren't permitted for any sporting event. Bags and purses are allowed, but will be inspected.

Items and polices here: http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=79817

Ticket Info

Part of the discussion as mentioned earlier was that tickets to all these games can be transferred via web, along with being able to reprint the ticket. The Red Wings box office says that when the ticket is reprinted (through their system) it generates a new barcode, so the old one becomes void. They said you can then sell them through the Ticketmaster Ticket Exchange site (TIckets Now) since it's all tied to their system.

GLI/Alumni games - scan (back): p7gr.th.png

More information can be found here: http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=93007

Clothing Recommendations

I went to the previous Red Wings Winter Classic at Wrigley in Chicago. Believe me, it gets very cold with a slight breeze. Baseball parks are a little more open and not really designed to block the wind (as much compared to football stadiums). My brother and I had on 4 layers, which included heavy winter coat and snow pants, and we could still feel it (temp was in the upper teens). It was still fun, but if I had on anything less it probably would have affected my enjoyment. Long underwear, wool socks and snow boots can go a long way; we dressed pretty much like we were going snowmobiling. So come prepared, and try to get a gauge on what works best at other games prior to the Winter Classic...since you can't leave once you're inside.

Hope to continue updating this as new information comes up (mods feel free to as well).

Edited by drumnj

I believe I heard this during an intermission of a recent game radio broadcast: the parking rate in certain lots at Michigan Stadium will be fifty-dollars. Y/N?

I've also noticed that some of the merchandise being sold doesn't have "2014".

I wouldn't doubt it concerning some lots around there charging $50.00 to park there. Pioneer High School charges that for autos for U of M Football games.

If you're going to the game, there are plenty of areas where one can park on the street for no charge. When I have gone to U of M football games I usually park in one of the neighborhoods off of W Stadium Blvd, west of Michigan Stadium.

Ticketmaster did not have a "print at home" option for the tickets that went on sale in October. I just received mine today from UPS & they are just the regular boring Ticketmaster hard tickets, not the fancy ones that were sold during the team's pre-sales (like drumnj's tickets).

Ticketmaster did not have a "print at home" option for the tickets that went on sale in October. I just received mine today from UPS & they are just the regular boring Ticketmaster hard tickets, not the fancy ones that were sold during the team's pre-sales (like drumnj's tickets).

Thanks, I'll update that.

Looks like you're all set drumnj! You're going to be a busy boy :)

And in all the hoopla over the actual Winter Classic, and the alumni games, I never realised that the Griffs were playing the Marlies! That should be awesome - a chance to get a good look at all our kids, and a re-match from last years playoff run.

Glad someone started a topic. This whole winter festival will be great for the wings organization and the city of Detroit..

I'll watch as many of the games as possible and I'll be in Ann Arbor for the classic. Beyond stoked for that! What a great way to start out 2014 :) LGW!

I can't freaking wait. Years of waiting and planning and it's almost here. Look for me Drum, I'll be the one in the Z sweater. Heh.

You're saying you have tickets to the WC and didn't receive the commemorative ones? These are WC tickets you're referring to, right? As opposed to tickets to other events (OHL, AHL, Alumni).

Damn lockout cost me a chance to attend events. Had the extra money last year but not this year. Ill be glued to my TV though.

You should have bought them last year. Last year's purchases are still valid (that's when I bought mine).

Did they change something with the GLI tickets? I could have sworn they said a ticket was good for both days. But my ticket only says the 27th. Or was it just both games for whichever day you purchased?

Mine say the same. I am also curious, but I won't be in MI until the 29th so it's a moot point for me really.

So they are doing 2 alumni games? How is that being broken down?

Two, two period games. Not sure how they are splitting the rosters up.

You're saying you have tickets to the WC and didn't receive the commemorative ones? These are WC tickets you're referring to, right? As opposed to tickets to other events (OHL, AHL, Alumni).

Yes, that's correct. I bought my tickets to the WC back in October when Ticketmaster released additional ones. I figured I might get the commemorative ones because there was no print at home option & they were being sent around the same time (early December) as all the other ones. Had I purchased them through one of the Wings sales with the special password, I would have got commemorative tickets. I guess that's what I get for being indecisive!! I probably should have kept my order from last year. I'll just have to check eBay after the first of the year to get one from someone. I did purchase my Alumni game tickets from the Wings sale & got the commemorative tickets.

Did they change something with the GLI tickets? I could have sworn they said a ticket was good for both days. But my ticket only says the 27th. Or was it just both games for whichever day you purchased?

No, the tickets are only good for one of the days of the GLI. I remember when I purchased the WC tickets through the sale last year (for the game that wasn't played), you had to select one of the days of the GLI. They were never supposed to be good for both days.

Yes, that's correct. I bought my tickets to the WC back in October when Ticketmaster released additional ones. I figured I might get the commemorative ones because there was no print at home option & they were being sent around the same time (early December) as all the other ones. Had I purchased them through one of the Wings sales with the special password, I would have got commemorative tickets. I guess that's what I get for being indecisive!! I probably should have kept my order from last year. I'll just have to check eBay after the first of the year to get one from someone. I did purchase my Alumni game tickets from the Wings sale & got the commemorative tickets.

That makes sense. Mine is vice-a-versa, I bought my WC through the Wings and my Alumni tickets through TM and didn't get the commemorative ones for that.

I tried but "She Who Must Be Obeyed" wanted to add it to the honeymoon fund once it got cancelled and not wait a year lol.

Lol...have one of them myself.

To be honest though, SWMBO was right. I'd rather go on a real vacation with muh lady than go to the Classic anyway. I had several chances to purchase tickets and only seriously thought about it last year, before the NHL ruined the specialness by schedule 40 more outdoor games. Plus, I'm not to thrilled about watching the game in that stadium....bad tickets mean you'd be better off watching the game on a tv above a urinal. Ill be happy to see everything up close and personal on TV. I do want to attend one of the OHL/AHL games at Comerica though...if anyone has extra tickets I could purchse, let me know. achildress111@gmail.com

Edited by achildr1