Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

12/4 GDT : Flyers 6 at Red Wings 3

• Please log in to reply
524 replies to this topic

#441 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

Who is the problem?I'm confused now..is it Babcock? Q? Cleary? Boyd Devereaux? The Zamboni driver? You can't just come out of the wood work and rag on everyone after we have a bad period..its so bush league and amateur hour..because I know you've been around here a long time and when the going gets good you will be all jacked for this team again and tell us how you told us so.  Calling out Babcock? cmon..if they were to take a survey of every player, coach, gm, owner in this league Babcock would top the list guaranteed.

well, here you are wrong...dead wrong. I will NEVER support Cleary, Q, Franzen or Babs dumb ass coaching decisions to play Cleary over Tootoo and ahead of Weiss in the line combos. Those facts will never change even if they win the Cup. And since you have known me on here for years, I am hardly coming out of the woodworks to talk crap about said players...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#442 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Yeah, that's true. I thought otherwise his speed and creativity were pretty noticeable. He was stronger on the puck too than you would expect for someone his size.

The whole team struggled getting set up on the PP, which isn't too shocking given they were down their two best players. Pavel and Z are terrific at zone entry on the PP.

I agree. The speed of Nyquist, Helm and Tatar wassomething that made us look strong at the beginning of the game.

#443 SimonSin

SimonSin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

First game without Datsyuk and Zetterberg, one loss. They're too important to this team. I had a bad feeling about this damn game but when the Wings went up 3-1 I thought differently.  Unreal, this game was embarrassing. Blah, I'mf****** pissed.

#444 CaliforniaWingsFan

CaliforniaWingsFan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

CLEARY WAIVED!! :)

A boy can dream!

#445 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

First game without Datsyuk and Zetterberg, one loss. They're too important to this team. I had a bad feeling about this damn game but when the Wings went up 3-1 I thought differently.  Unreal, this game was embarrassing. Blah, I'mf****** pissed.

I coulda dealt with a 4-1 thrashing due to no dats and z but being up 3-1 hurt - I agree. I'm livid. We should have at the very least escaped with points on the night.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#446 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,179 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

Seriously. The team I love just choked from 3-1 to 3-6 behind terrible goaltending yet again, am I supposed to feel something other than frustration?

Absolutely not.  A sailor would blush upon hearing the steam of epithets erupting from me during this game.  I frustrated as hell, just like any other fan.  I was pointing out that in one single GDT fans went from "I love everyone and everything to do with the Wings (except Cleary)" to "Blow up the entire organization - fire Babcock, Holland, dismantle the team and plot a coup d'etat on the Ilitch Family."  The overreaction is stunning in its scope.  

Now if it were the playoffs......  :)

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#447 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

yeah, if we keep calm, howard will totally keep that next 2-goal lead

cause he's been making a lot of clutch saves this year

right?

it's not like he's been total s*** all season

...right?

i've been banned for less.

Look who's back... It was a peaceful 4 games

#448 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

Sorry Jimmy..nothing personal but if there were two Jimmy Howards in the net tonight this lead still would've been blown. He's just really pooping the bed this year. He's gonna lose the starting job and his Olympic chance all in a matter of a few months. It's a shame but if he was even decent this year with the lead we'd have about 6 or 7 more wins. I hate what a bunch of pansies we become against teams like this. The Joe used to be such an intimidating place to play. I understand not wanting to take any penalties whenyou have the lead but once your best players start getting punched and boarded, someone has to nail somebody.

Uhh the first and third goals were great shots he never saw due to screens. Those will go in 90% of the time on any goalie. The 2nd was a defensive breakdown that unfortunately slid under his pad. He had no shot on the 4th due to man left open on the back post. The only goal you can question on him was the Hartnell shot. Philly was the better team for most of the game other than when they took all the penalties in the 2nd. Detroit outshot Philly but Philly chances were all a heck of a lot better than Detroits. Mason really only had to make one big save. The rest were routine. I know everyone here loves to jump on the goalie but look at each goal individually and youll see that he had no shot on three of those goals. You just have to hope the puck hits him and he was in the right position they were just good shots.

#449 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

Shhh. The trick is to be an unrelenting optimist. No one played poorly. No one made mistakes. It was just our turn to lose. Only happy thoughts....

Seriously. The team I love just choked from 3-1 to 3-6 behind terrible goaltending yet again, am I supposed to feel something other than frustration?

No one is demanding blind, unrelenting optimism. Is it too much to ask for a little class? Read some of the things people say in the forum. If you heard someone speaking that way in a sports bar, what woul you think of them?

#450 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

Simply put, if we were not missing our entire top line tonight, we win this game easy. 

Our PP may have scored another goal or two, and PK would have been better in terms of skaters, but the way Howard was dodging pucks out there, I don't know how much better things would have been. He got 3 goals worth of support, but let in 5 for good measure. Not only is it the goals themselves in terms of the scoreboard, but when he lets in a stinker he is noticeably rattled, and the team seems to pick up on that and deflate.

Like I said a few weeks ago, the number one indicator is whether I am expecting a shot on our goal to be saved or end up in the back of the net. When Gustavsson is in goal, I expect the former. When Howard is in goal, I expect the latter. Things were the same late in the 2008 season with Osgood and Hasek. I don't care who is supposed to be number one, I care who is stopping pucks.

#451 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

well, here you are wrong...dead wrong. I will NEVER support Cleary, Q, Franzen or Babs dumb ass coaching decisions to play Cleary over Tootoo and ahead of Weiss in the line combos. Those facts will never change even if they win the Cup. And since you have known me on here for years, I am hardly coming out of the woodworks to talk crap about said players...

I don't know what you have been watching lately, but Franzen has been fantastic since he came back from the games he missed. I agree with you about Cleary and Quincy, both of them are awful and need to go. But, while Babs does make questionalble calls, he got us within 1 win of beating the Hawks last year in the playoffs, and we would of had we not lost Danny D and had Helm. The fact is, that Babcock was not given a healthy team to work with last year at all, and is having the same issue this year. When this team is fully healthy, and all the young guns are playing like they are now, we are going to be good. I will be patient because, come playoffs, when this team is healthy and together, I trust Babcock will bring them far, especially for Alfie.

#452 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

Our PP may have scored another goal or two, and PK would have been better in terms of skaters, but the way Howard was dodging pucks out there, I don't know how much better things would have been. He got 3 goals worth of support, but let in 5 for good measure. Not only is it the goals themselves in terms of the scoreboard, but when he lets in a stinker he is noticeably rattled, and the team seems to pick up on that and deflate.

Which goal of Phillys tonight qualifies as a stinker? Please explain.

#453 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

Uhh the first and third goals were great shots he never saw due to screens. Those will go in 90% of the time on any goalie. The 2nd was a defensive breakdown that unfortunately slid under his pad. He had no shot on the 4th due to man left open on the back post. The only goal you can question on him was the Hartnell shot. Philly was the better team for most of the game other than when they took all the penalties in the 2nd. Detroit outshot Philly but Philly chances were all a heck of a lot better than Detroits. Mason really only had to make one big save. The rest were routine. I know everyone here loves to jump on the goalie but look at each goal individually and youll see that he had no shot on three of those goals. You just have to hope the puck hits him and he was in the right position they were just good shots.

Tell the other goaltenders in the league who stop more pucks that they don't need to worry about the screened shots or anything that might constitute a decent scoring chance. It would be one thing if he let in one or two, here or there, but he seemingly never makes the save.

#454 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

It isn't that he is "letting in bad goals" its that he isn't making timely, key saves that he needs to to win us games. Like it or not, the job of a goalie is to make key saves to win games for his team. The numbers do not lie... he is failing to do that consistently this season. Like it or not, Monster deserves to be getting more starts here and to be honest, I feel much calmer with Monster in net then Jimmy, and I feel that the team feels that way as well. 

#455 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

If it makes you feel better Schneider blew two late 3rd period leads tonight. 

I'm about on the same page as puckbags, sucks that we lost, we aren't going 82-0-0 every season. Games like this have happened before, they will happen again. If being passive aggressive towards your fellow fans about it and preaching lineup and roster setups that will make zero difference on how this team goes forward because you have no control over it makes you feel better than that's on you. 

We are down our top 2 offensive threats. We are down one of our best defensive players in Dekeyser. There was an extreme difference in line combinations tonight and took a lead midway through the game. As its happened many times before, especially in the playoffs last year, the lead was blown and the game was lost. 

This is still a playoff team, our overall record is still pretty great all things considered. The season isn't even 1/3rd of the way done and NO TEAM plays consistently excellent hockey through the entire season. It just doesn't happen. 

I choose to not get into arguments and point fingers because it makes the loss sting even more. People handle things how they want to handle things, no one should be disrespected for taking either approach, but don't expect people to enjoy taking disrespect with a smile when you confront them directly on their opinion. If we all felt the same way and acted the same way about everything this would be a pretty boring discussion forum. Just keep it civil because you are among fellow fans.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#456 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

It isn't that he is "letting in bad goals" its that he isn't making timely, key saves that he needs to to win us games. Like it or not, the job of a goalie is to make key saves to win games for his team. The numbers do not lie... he is failing to do that consistently this season. Like it or not, Monster deserves to be getting more starts here and to be honest, I feel much calmer with Monster in net then Jimmy, and I feel that the team feels that way as well. 

Im not saying Monster shouldnt be getting more starts. THe guy is playing well. Im saying you cant throw this entire game on Howard. Two of the goals have to go on terrible defense leaving men open. If your going to put the blame on a goalie for not "making a big save" on shots he cant see you have to put equal blame on the defense for not clearing those screens out. It cant be one and not the other. 

#457 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:12 PM

Which goal of Phillys tonight qualifies as a stinker? Please explain.

The name of the game is stop the puck. He doesn't stop the puck. Sure he gets a lot of screened shots from time to time, but he has trouble with everything from a wraparound to a wrister from the dot. Every other goaltender in the league sees the same. Excusing him for not making the difficult saves is getting obnoxious when he has tanked more times than not this season. Puck on net, puck in net is not a good trend.

#458 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Tell the other goaltenders in the league who stop more pucks that they don't need to worry about the screened shots or anything that might constitute a decent scoring chance. It would be one thing if he let in one or two, here or there, but he seemingly never makes the save.

Actually he was making them all game. Philly had guys in his grill the entire night. At some point they are going to go in. 

#459 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

I've given up trying to defend goalies when talking to those who have never played the position. They don't understand the technical nuances involved. Howar has not been playing well, but he is far from the cause of our losses.

Monster's record is fool's gold IMO. It's like valverde's 50 save season. When you watch monster play, he's not nearly as technically sound as Howard. Monster overcommits and he his recovery ability is very poor.

#460 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

I was really hoping for Weiss to step up tonight...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”