• Please log in to reply
524 replies to this topic

#481 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

What experiment? He is this team starter for now and years to come. If the playoffs started today he would be in net.

And the way he is playing we would be out the first round. Fun.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#482 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

Weiss hasn't had a shift in a red wings uniform where he has looked any more that a decent 3rd liner

#483 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

And the way he is playing we would be out the first round. Fun.

People said that last year to. Then he was the main reason they beat Anaheim and took Chicago to 7. Funny huh

#484 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

Missed this game but what the ****?

I look at the score on twitter it's 3-1 Wings next time I check in it's 5-3 Flyers. 

4 answered goals including a empty netter. 

Yikes

#485 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

I don't want to blame Howard but reality is Monster probably stops 2 or 3 of those goals simply because he plays bigger in net. I think it was the Giroux goal where it almost looked like Howard was ducking in net, he looked so small. 

I do agree he would have handled a couple of those better. Im not sure he makes the kick saves on Hartnel and Simmonds tho with his style.

#486 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

Weiss hasn't had a shift in a red wings uniform where he has looked any more that a decent 3rd liner

And somehow he keeps getting placed with 4th line scrub has beens like cleary and sammy... :glare:

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#487 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

Cleary should be waived tonight...he has a NTC not a NMC.  Tootoo should be recalled.

Sad thing is even if the Heaven's opened up and that actually happened, Babs wouldn't play Tootoo or just sit him on the bench.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#488 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:35 PM

Lol his retarded penalty is what started this onslaught. Not just taking a penalty but making it blatantly obvious and unnecessary in the offensive zone to start a very important third period where we had to bear down and keep the lead.

I see. And Howard's play had nothing to do with it. He surely couldnt've stopped any of those shots. So, your logic is that Weiss' one penalty caused every one of those 5 unanswered goals? Solid reasoning, to be sure.

Edited by DatsyukToZetterberg, 04 December 2013 - 11:36 PM.

#489 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

People said that last year to. Then he was the main reason they beat Anaheim and took Chicago to 7. Funny huh

Nah whats funny is seeing him under perform and keep getting put in while Gustavsson has been pretty hot. I understand he is the guy and should get his shots but how many games like this with shots that should have been stopped do we have to go through?

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#490 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

Maybe I am missing some technical nuance, being of the unwashed masses, but is his job not to keep pucks out of the net? Is Howard technically playing better, you know, for style points and technique? :P

I get what you're saying. A goalie's job is to stop the puck, just like a QB's job is to throw touchdowns. There are other variables at play aside from the goalie's performance. I'm not saying Jimmy is above reproach. He has not been at his best. However, to lay our losses at his feet would be a mistake.

Watching monster play does not inspire confidence. He flops too much and he doesn't have dom's athleticism for it to be an effective style for him.

#491 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Weiss was not the reason they lost...he took one penalty and cost them one goal...seems to me there were 5 others scored, most of them with Quincey on the ice (one in the box) and Cleary trying to skate with his walker...

I agree with some of the heat for Jimmy, but if you are looking for an experiment to be over, the Cleary and Quincey experiments are fermenting!

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#492 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Cleary should be waived tonight...he has a NTC not a NMC.  Tootoo should be recalled.

Sad thing is even if the Heaven's opened up and that actually happened, Babs wouldn't play Tootoo or just sit him on the bench.

now now we don't need anyone with any kind of grit on this team. We had emm-dog in the lineup.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#493 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:42 PM

I see. And Howard's play had nothing to do with it. He surely couldnt've stopped any of those shots. So, your logic is that Weiss' one penalty caused every one of those 5 unanswered goals? Solid reasoning, to be sure.

Lol so he never single handedly lost us this game. He definitely didn't do a thing to help us win. Besides tap a puck along 2 feet to Franzen. He hasn't had a shift that resembles a 5M a year player. I wanted to like Weiss and gave him a chance but were 30 games in and is currently sitting on the NHL's worst contract. 7 points a year for 5M and 4 more years. I'm just dieing for him to come out and say something to the media. It would be hard to trade him for a 5th round pick. You have to be a special kind of brutal for that to happen. In the prime of your career

Edited by joesuffP, 04 December 2013 - 11:44 PM.

#494 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

Yes but you said he lets in stinkers and thus demoralizes the team and thats why the lost. Im asking which specifically was a stinker. If you cant really explain as being a stinker your argument holds no merit. Im not saying Jimmy cant play better Im saying throwing him under the bus as the reason they lost tonight is completely incorrect. 

Looking over my posts from the night, I mentioned "letting in a stinker" once, and that was speaking more generally about his play this season. Specifically, talking about his demeanor after a soft or otherwise untimely goal. He let in several untimely goals tonight, and looks to sulk afterwards. Once that starts the goals follow in rapid succession. Was there any one goal tonight that you could blame 100% on the goaltender? No. But its the sum total of the goals that is the problem. 

1st goal: big time screen, can't see through flesh, that's fine

2nd goal: Read gets on the inside, Howard doesn't stay tight enough for a good lateral kick, but a defensive breakdown, whatever

3rd goal: he has Simmonds in front, but more than anything loses the puck in bodies, not great, looking flustered

4th goal: he seems to be swimming a bit before getting to his feet and coming way out, easy tap in on the opposite side, now he is done

5th goal: Hartnell fires a quick clapper, good shot, but Howard looks done, resting hands on the pads low with half-hearted swats as goals pile up

The Wings tonight, like most nights with Howard in goal, just needed one of those saves. Just one. They were some of the only threatening shots of the night and he missed the majority of them. He let them go by in rapid succession, 3 in 5 minutes, tanking the teams morale on top of the losing on the scoreboard.

#495 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

regarding the goaltenders, it doesn't matter who is winning, it doesn't matter who is the better goalie right now, Holland is NOT going to allow Monster to play all the games while he is paying $5M+ to Jimmy to sit on the bench.  IMO, the best goalie they have is in GR right now, but you will NEVER see a move to not dress Jimmy and have Mrazek start with Monster backing him up.  Jimmy makes way too much money, but you cannot blame him for cashing in on the market value of goaltenders.  But since he is making the top money, he will always be the #1 guy here.  Monster could go 20-0, yet Jimmy will still get the starts and the playoffs.  In this NHL (sadly) its not really about winning, its about money and not wasting it.

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#496 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

Everything has got to be extremes with you people.

I just said I had hoped Weiss was going to step up.  It was a great opportunity for him. That's all. Didn't blame the game on him.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#497 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

Lol so he never single handedly lost us this game. He definitely didn't do a thing to help us win. Besides tap a puck along 2 feet to Franzen. He hasn't had a shift that resembles a 5M a year player. I wanted to like Weiss and gave him a chance but were 30 games in and is currently sitting on the NHL's worst contract. 7 points a year for 5M and 4 more years. I'm just dieing for him to come out and say something to the media. It would be hard to trade him for a 5th round pick. You have to be a special kind of brutal for that to happen. In the prime of your career

You lost me at "NHL's worst contract". Blind, ignorant hatred doesn't make an argument valid. Weiss is your whipping boy, I get it. He assisted on a goal and, outside of the penalty, was always involved and trying to create offense. But, there's no point in arguing it with someone who hates him as passionately and blindly as you do. I can see how much you "wanted to like him". That claim is as baseless and opinionated as your "NHL's worst contract" laugher. You defeated your own logic. You place the blame on Weiss, but in almost the same breath, admit that he never actually lost the game for us. As far as I know, being a part of a goal isn't exactly something players who lose games for their team do. As far as the penalty, who's to blame? Weiss for having his stick held, or Howard for being unable to make that save? Perhaps the PK for blowing the assignment on Giroux? No, it must be Weiss' fault.

Edited by DatsyukToZetterberg, 04 December 2013 - 11:57 PM.

#498 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:56 PM

You lost me at "NHL's worst contract". Blind, ignorant hatred doesn't make an argument valid. Weiss is your whipping boy, I get it. He assisted on a goal and, outside of the penalty, was always involved and trying to create offense. But, there's no point in arguing it with someone who hates him as passionately and blindly as you do. I can see how much you "wanted to like him". That claim is as baseless and opinionated as your "NHL's worst contract" laugher.

Worst signing in the off season. I don't know a lot of teams that have a worse contract currently. Luongo I guess. He's a lot more valuable to his team though

#499 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,955 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

regarding the goaltenders, it doesn't matter who is winning, it doesn't matter who is the better goalie right now, Holland is NOT going to allow Monster to play all the games while he is paying $5M+ to Jimmy to sit on the bench.  IMO, the best goalie they have is in GR right now, but you will NEVER see a move to not dress Jimmy and have Mrazek start with Monster backing him up.  Jimmy makes way too much money, but you cannot blame him for cashing in on the market value of goaltenders.  But since he is making the top money, he will always be the #1 guy here.  Monster could go 20-0, yet Jimmy will still get the starts and the playoffs.  In this NHL (sadly) its not really about winning, its about money and not wasting it.

I don't agree with that.

As I stated earlier, Holland hasn't been afraid to bench Hall of Fame goalies in the last decade, regardless of what they were paid.  Remember Cujo being sent down?  

Hasek wasn't given any immunity in Detroit either.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 05 December 2013 - 12:03 AM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#500 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:00 AM

Worst signing in the off season. I don't know a lot of teams that have a worse contract currently. Luongo I guess. He's a lot more valuable to his team though

Clarkson? Gaborik? Clowe? Booth? Brad Richards? Myers? Ehrhoff? Edler? Lundqvist's new extension? Plenty more than those, too.

Edited by DatsyukToZetterberg, 05 December 2013 - 12:02 AM.