• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Lundqvist, Rangers agree on extension.

Rate this topic

I understand that it's The Way of the World now, but I am not a fan of big, long goalie contracts. There is no denying The King is a superstar, but even he is human and capable of s***ty, inconsistent play.

That being said, if they don't have an extremely reliable second option in the pipeline, the Rangers would have been insane to let him walk away.

King Henrik didn't have success? This guy is more often than not the only reason the NewYorkRangers are even in the mix for the playoffs. An annually Vezina nominee, the best goaltender in the world by far and probably the most beloved player they have letting him go was never an option. Thanks to the stupid CBA GMs can't get creative with contracts anymore because they are all under a regime if they don't follow suit = losing a draft pick in the first round.

8,5 per year is a lot but the king certainly deserves it.

To long, to much. The amount would be bearable for 3 maybe even 4 years, but 7 ? Maybe an outstanding goalie like Lundquist can play at this level for this long. But with a look at likewise exeptional guys guys like Hasek and Brodeur I doubt it. This deal will handcuff the Rangers for a long period of time.

Rangers are all about being the definition of the word "overpayment"

Whenever critics say the Wings "bought" their teams in the early 2000s, I always point out that the Rangers always spent more and never went anywhere. Money isn't everything.

That being said, this is an overpayment. No criticism of Lundqvist, but goaltender being such an unreliable and flaky position, you have to be really desperate to give a contract like that. Lundqvist must have had them over a barrel. I don't think I would've given Hasek a contract like that if he were in his prime today.

Whenever critics say the Wings "bought" their teams in the early 2000s, I always point out that the Rangers always spent more and never went anywhere. Money isn't everything.

That being said, this is an overpayment. No criticism of Lundqvist, but goaltender being such an unreliable and flaky position, you have to be really desperate to give a contract like that. Lundqvist must have had them over a barrel. I don't think I would've given Hasek a contract like that if he were in his prime today.

The wings just made smarter purchases, but it certainly wasn't only the free agent signings that did it.

King Henrik didn't have success? This guy is more often than not the only reason the NewYorkRangers are even in the mix for the playoffs. An annually Vezina nominee, the best goaltender in the world by far and probably the most beloved player they have letting him go was never an option. Thanks to the stupid CBA GMs can't get creative with contracts anymore because they are all under a regime if they don't follow suit = losing a draft pick in the first round.

8,5 per year is a lot but the king certainly deserves it.

30-37 career playoff record and does not look like the kind of goalie that could take a team on his back through the SCP. Except for an Olympic gold medal, what has he really done in the post season, when it really counts?

Letting King Henrik go would be like us letting Yzerman or Lidstrom go.

Yeah it's long and expensive but there's exactly one goaltender worth it: Lundqvist. Face of the franchise, backbone of that team and with this deal a lock to be in the rafters of MSG one day.

Edited by dat's sick

Letting King Henrik go would be like us letting Yzerman or Lidstrom go.

Yeah it's long and expensive but there's exactly one goaltender worth it: Lundqvist. Face of the franchise, backbone of that team and with this deal a lock to be in the rafters of MSG one day.

I'm in the minority when I say this, but I find him to be overrated, and all that jazz. Sure he is good, but definitely not worth that cap hit, I'd honestly take rask over him any day.

NYR definitely hate this deal, but they had no choice. I heard they wanted to limit to 6 years (not that it would have been any better), but he wouldn't budge.

I've had a look around the league at the rest of the 29 other starting goalies and their salaries go something like this:

- 3 at $6.5-7.0 million

- 9 at $5 - 6 million

- 2 at $4.5 million

- 15 at $1.5 - $3.5 million

So, not only are they going to be paying him 21% higher than the next highest, if you look at that list, he's paid way, way in excess of the average goalie salary.

So, I hate the cap hit #, but perhaps even bigger hatred is the term. They are going to stuck with a 39 year old goalie making $8.5M.