• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Lundqvist, Rangers agree on extension.

Rate this topic

NYR definitely hate this deal, but they had no choice. I heard they wanted to limit to 6 years (not that it would have been any better), but he wouldn't budge.

I've had a look around the league at the rest of the 29 other starting goalies and their salaries go something like this:

- 3 at $6.5-7.0 million

- 9 at $5 - 6 million

- 2 at $4.5 million

- 15 at $1.5 - $3.5 million

So, not only are they going to be paying him 21% higher than the next highest, if you look at that list, he's paid way, way in excess of the average goalie salary.

So, I hate the cap hit #, but perhaps even bigger hatred is the term. They are going to stuck with a 39 year old goalie making $8.5M.

21% now but within a few years, because of this deal, all the goalies are going to want the big dolla bills. So now elite goalies are going to cost teams elite forward pay, unlike in the past, which is fine in a way... but good luck to any team that gives their goalie this type of deal, franchise goalie or not.

Letting King Henrik go would be like us letting Yzerman or Lidstrom go.

Yeah it's long and expensive but there's exactly one goaltender worth it: Lundqvist. Face of the franchise, backbone of that team and with this deal a lock to be in the rafters of MSG one day.

Couldn't disagree with you more on this one. Lundqvist vs. Lidstrom/Yzerman is not even a comparison my friend, not even in the same category. What has Lundqvist won for the Rangers?

This is a totally stupid contract by the once again infallible Sather. Whoever is at the head of MSG, fire his arse already. I'd be willing to bet that they buy him out in 3-5 years time.

Edited by RedWingsRox

I'm in the minority when I say this, but I find him to be overrated, and all that jazz. Sure he is good, but definitely not worth that cap hit, I'd honestly take rask over him any day.

photo1_photo_1j18724..jpg vs. 2009-01-04%20COVER-HenrikLundqvist.jpg

You sure about that..? ;)

NYR definitely hate this deal, but they had no choice. I heard they wanted to limit to 6 years (not that it would have been any better), but he wouldn't budge.

I've had a look around the league at the rest of the 29 other starting goalies and their salaries go something like this:

- 3 at $6.5-7.0 million

- 9 at $5 - 6 million

- 2 at $4.5 million

- 15 at $1.5 - $3.5 million

So, not only are they going to be paying him 21% higher than the next highest, if you look at that list, he's paid way, way in excess of the average goalie salary.

So, I hate the cap hit #, but perhaps even bigger hatred is the term. They are going to stuck with a 39 year old goalie making $8.5M.

Find another goalie in the league who has been as consistently great as Lundqvist has been in his career.

Can't do it?

Fine, find another guy who is the face of his franchise. Can't do that either? Maybe someone who carries a bad/mediocre team into the playoffs year after year. Is that tough too?

What about a guy who has a status and recognition comparable to Crosby, Ovechkin etc. and is widely known even to people otherwise not interested in hockey. Not that either huh?

Hmm.. maybe this Lundqvist guy is actually, like, special... like...not just a run-on-the-mill starter. His worth to the Rangers franchise is beyond his Sv% or GAA, he is the guy those fans come to see. Not Callahan or Girardi.

Couldn't disagree with you more on this one. Lundqvist vs. Lidstrom/Yzerman is not even a comparison my friend, not even in the same category. What has Lundqvist won for the Rangers?

This is a totally stupid contract by the once again infallible Sather. Whoever is at the head of MSG, fire his arse already. I'd be willing to bet that they buy him out in 3-5 years time.

Lundqvist on better teams WOULD win cups. What he has won for the Rangers is countless hockey games.

But you're basically saying that if not for those cup wins, Yzerman/Lidstrom would not be worth much? They wouldn't be missed? Fans would hate it if they got big contracts?

You don't let the face of the franchise go, you don't let the heart and soul of your team go. Easy as that.

Find another goalie in the league who has been as consistently great as Lundqvist has been in his career.

Can't do it?

Fine, find another guy who is the face of his franchise. Can't do that either? Maybe someone who carries a bad/mediocre team into the playoffs year after year. Is that tough too?

What about a guy who has a status and recognition comparable to Crosby, Ovechkin etc. and is widely known even to people otherwise not interested in hockey. Not that either huh?

Hmm.. maybe this Lundqvist guy is actually, like, special... like...not just a run-on-the-mill starter. His worth to the Rangers franchise is beyond his Sv% or GAA, he is the guy those fans come to see. Not Callahan or Girardi.

I agree with most of this, except there is no way he's as recognizable as Crosby and Ovechkin to the casual fan or non-fan.

I have no problem with him making more than any other goalie, my problem is how much more he'll be making than the rest and for how long.

Lundqvist on better teams WOULD win cups. What he has won for the Rangers is countless hockey games.

But you're basically saying that if not for those cup wins, Yzerman/Lidstrom would not be worth much? They wouldn't be missed? Fans would hate it if they got big contracts?

You don't let the face of the franchise go, you don't let the heart and soul of your team go. Easy as that.

I don't know ... the Rangers had some big names throughout Lundqvist's years there. That's a circular argument. If Rangers had a better team, any half decent goalie could have won a Cup there ... you don't need a stud. A star goalie is suppose to get hot, stand on his head during playoffs, and take a 1/2 decent team to the promised land. Quick, Crawford, Thomas just to name the past 3 SC goalies. What are they getting paid?

If the king wanted that amount for that term ... I'd let him go in a heartbeat. But then, I'm not as intelligent as Sather. Especially this year when his performance so far has been average at best it would have been perfect, the fans could have easily been won over with that explanation. I don't frequent HHForum but are Rangers fans jumping up and down?

Lastly, expensive goalie contracts that are like huge anvils tend to follow Coach AV ... :lol:

Edited by RedWingsRox

Too long of a contract in my opinion, especially considering the Rangers horrible luck in recent history with contracts like this.

With that said, as mentioned in this thread previously, Girardi is a guy I would welcome in our defensive lineup. It's difficult to imagine Callahan goes elsewhere, as much as i'd like him here, it's a relatively unrealistic expectation.

Lundqvist is actually good. No, he's not a god, but this signing is a blessing in disguise. It locks up the Rags money so they can't go out and make another truly embarrassing blockbuster free agent deal.

(And maybe we could pick up Girardi or Callahan)

Edited by kook_10