• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BadgerBob

Mike Commodore's experience with the Wings

Rate this topic

I've known hockey players like this at every level.

"It's because coach hates me"

These guys are almost always mediocre at hockey but great at beer pong.

Being here in Columbus - the guy was a locker room cancer. All he did was whine at a time when that particular team had non-leader captain (Nash) and were working a system that wasn't set for the personnel they had, and it certainly didn't fit Commodore's skill set since he doesn't skate particularly well for a D-man.

3 minutes ago, kliq said:

Kind of sad. It would be one thing if Babs was tweeting Commodore and he responded, but to go out of his way to give Datsyuk s*** for saying something positive to babs is a really bad look.

Agreed. To be fair Dan Milstein runs Datsyuks twitter, so its not Pavel. But Commodore just comes off like a sad washed up loser.

17 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Agreed. To be fair Dan Milstein runs Datsyuks twitter, so its not Pavel. But Commodore just comes off like a sad washed up loser.

He was on the Spittin' Chiclets a few weeks ago and wow he is seriously salty. Refers to cutting a turd as "taking a Babcock". Says he can't stand the success the leafs are having because their coach is "not that good, yet will get all the credit". I like him, he's funny, but he needs to get over the fact that Babcock sat him because they didn't need him.

10 minutes ago, BadgerBob said:

He was on the Spittin' Chiclets a few weeks ago and wow he is seriously salty. Refers to cutting a turd as "taking a Babcock". Says he can't stand the success the leafs are having because their coach is "not that good, yet will get all the credit". I like him, he's funny, but he needs to get over the fact that Babcock sat him because they didn't need him.

The story I remember (from Commodore) was no one was offering him contracts and he was considering retirement. Then he got a call out of the blue from his agent/Holland that was "we want you at this price, you have an hour to decide before we move on to someone else" and he asked Holland "is it you who wants me? Or does Babs want me?" (he didn't like Babcock already from his time playing under him in Cincinnati) Holland told him the signing was at the request of Babcock. So as he tells it, he went against his gut and said f*** it maybe Babs remembers what I bring and actually needs me this time. Then Babs only played him for 17 games.

So I see why he doesn't like the guy, but the amount of vitriol over a failed experiment in Detroit is way over the top on his end. Butthurt loser. 

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The story I remember (from Commodore) was no one was offering him contracts and he was considering retirement. Then he got a call out of the blue from his agent/Holland that was "we want you at this price, you have an hour to decide before we move on to someone else" and he asked Holland "is it you who wants me? Or does Babs want me?" (he didn't like Babcock already from his time playing under him in Cincinnati) Holland told him the signing was at the request of Babcock. So as he tells it, he went against his gut and said f*** it maybe Babs remembers what I bring and actually needs me this time. Then Babs only played him for 17 games.

So I see why he doesn't like the guy, but the amount of vitriol over a failed experiment in Detroit is way over the top on his end. Butthurt loser. 

500 games, millions of dollars and a cup ring? Yeah, he's a loser. His feud is petty, but all things considered he had a pretty good career for a bottom D-man.

8 hours ago, BadgerBob said:

AA will be calling cutting a s*** 'taking a Holland' I bet.

7 hours ago, kliq said:

I was messing around on Youtube, and I found this. Man, he HATES Babs. If what he is saying is true, I can see why.

I've heard Commodore going off on Babs many times on different podcasts. He hates his guts, and he's not the only one. I know for a fact that there are quite a few players that have played for Babs over the years that think he's a piece of s***. He's an arrogant, egotistical prick. That part about not allowing Modano to hit 1500 games is f***ed up. I was happy to see him leave Detroit and now most Leafs fans want him out of Toronto as well...

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I've heard Commodore going off on Babs many times on different podcasts. He hates his guts, and he's not the only one. I know for a fact that there are quite a few players that have played for Babs over the years that think he's a piece of s***. He's an arrogant, egotistical prick. That part about not allowing Modano to hit 1500 games is f***ed up. I was happy to see him leave Detroit and now most Leafs fans want him out of Toronto as well...

Apparently near the end of his run as coach of the Red Wings - several veteran players were referring to him as 'Goldcock'...Meaning he was riding on the fact that team Canada had won Olympic golds with him behind the bench...Sorta patted himself on the back with that.

I don’t miss Babcock. The way he called out Brendan Smith in the media for standing up to Chara in the playoffs one year was uncalled for. He ridiculed him for standing up for his teammates. Somebody had to.   As for the Commodore situation why sign him?  He was a journeyman at best at that point. It was known that they didn’t like each other.  I’m guessing there were a half dozen other guys of equal skill level available.  I think Babcock brought him in to bury him.  I can’t blame Commodore for signing.  Who wouldn’t take the mil when you are at the end of your career anyway.  I hope Babcock gets run out of town in Toronto

54 minutes ago, HoweFan said:

I can’t blame Commodore for signing.  Who wouldn’t take the mil when you are at the end of your career anyway.  

He was thinking it was his last chance, but can't imagine he was thinking he was at the end of his career.  He was 31 years old when he signed.  He was hoping he'd prove some things that year and it would translate into a 5-6 year deal somewhere else after that.

It’s very hard for me to buy that Babs simply wanted to end this guy’s career. It doesn’t really add up. I can’t see anyone at that level caring enough to go out of their way to do that. I’m sure he was hard on him and busted his chops and obviously didn’t play him much, but the suggestion that he explicitly wanted to end his career seems like a major reach.

Definitely some interesting tidbits mixed in, particularly the Modano bit. Remember how hard he made it for Osgood to hit 400 wins? I always thought that seemed really odd and personal.

1 hour ago, gcom007 said:

It’s very hard for me to buy that Babs simply wanted to end this guy’s career. It doesn’t really add up. I can’t see anyone at that level caring enough to go out of their way to do that. I’m sure he was hard on him and busted his chops and obviously didn’t play him much, but the suggestion that he explicitly wanted to end his career seems like a major reach.

Definitely some interesting tidbits mixed in, particularly the Modano bit. Remember how hard he made it for Osgood to hit 400 wins? I always thought that seemed really odd and personal.

Major reach. Commodore likes to pretend he was "decent bottom pair Dman" or whatever he says, but he's wasn't. He was an AHL talent who carved out a few decent years in the NHL. No different than Matt Carkner or Dylan Mcilrath. Big friggin pylon who was only kept around because he's big and nasty and well liked in lockerrooms. He was an enforcer in a league abandoning enforcers. He was up and down between the AHL and NHL his entire career.

Everything he says is hearsay, that so far no one else has spoken up about or confirmed. Fact of the matter is, he was signed as an extra Dman and played 17 games like I would expect an untalented 7th Dman enforcer to play. I don't remember anyone clamoring for Commodore to get more games during his time here. At the end of the day, you just weren't very good Mike. That's why you didn't play.

Look at Tootoo. Signed with us an enforcer. Babs gave him 53 games out of the 164 he signed up to play. Did Toots ***** that Babs was OuT tO gEt hIM? No, he did his thing and then went on to play 3 more seasons for NJ and the Hawks. Commie got traded out of Detroit and after a few games with Tampa his career basically ended. Boohoo your career ended at 32 and your last coach didn't play you a lot. Cry me a river.

Sucks for Modano and a shame Babs didn't do him the courtesy, but 40 year old Modano wasn't very good anymore and Babs obligation is to the team first, not to Modano's career games played. IMO Modano should have retired the day the Stars dropped him. The Wings are not a charity team where you sign to get those last 41 games in so you can hit a milestone. Modano was lucky to get as many games as he did in Detroit TBH.

Commodore blows more smoke than anyone, and if he didn't yell as loudly as he does not one would pay him any mind and he would've been forgotten about a long time ago.

Dont blame any of the players for hating babcock and im glad that f***ers gone , definetly think hes taken advantage of being winning those gold medals with those hall of fame rosters with team canada and think with datsyuk and zetterberg here in their primes we should of had more than one cup. Wont be shocked to see babcock fired at seasons end