• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:51 AM

Poor commie.. I've followed him on Twitter since we signed him. He's very entertaining on there and seems like a good guy.. wish things could've gone better for him

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#22 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:17 AM

Agreed. Commodore is a whiner. He's also got a terrible memory. Let's go down the list.

The Wings started with six wins and six losses, not five and seven... Ian White was injured on the 13th of November, 2011, and Commodore was played only one game in the immediate future---not two, not three---and he played seven minutes, not three....  Commodore played three days before Christmas... Brendan Smith was Babcock's single minor-league call-up on defense in that season, and he played with the team for only four nights (three games) in 2011 (he was then sent down until March)... and so on.

If Commodore's going to spill his guts like this, he really ought to ensure first that he's got his facts right.

He was recalling a story, not writing a scientific review.  I'd guess that when most people re-tell a story from something that happened at work 2 years ago, their "facts" wouldn't be 100% correct.  Most people don't google every time they tell a story.

I think there are two sides to every story.  I would guess there's a bit of truth to what Commie says, and if Babcock were to tell his side, there'd be some truth and some factual errors too, and the actual truth would lie somewhere in the middle.

#23 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

Aye. People sometimes forget that players often detested Bowman, even if they still did respect him.

Absolutely. The best coaches are the hardest to work with but the most rewarding because they know what they're doing. Julien, Hitchcock, and Babcock...isn't the famous quote about Bowman, "you hated the guy 364 days of the year and on the 365th day you received the Stanley cup."?

Babcock's a very smart man whom has a degree in sports psychology. He knows how to use it.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#24 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:03 AM

Absolutely. The best coaches are the hardest to work with but the most rewarding because they know what they're doing. Julien, Hitchcock, and Babcock...isn't the famous quote about Bowman, "you hated the guy 364 days of the year and on the 365th day you received the Stanley cup."?

Babcock's a very smart man whom has a degree in sports psychology. He knows how to use it.

It still doesn't explain Dan Cleary.

#25 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

He was recalling a story, not writing a scientific review.  I'd guess that when most people re-tell a story from something that happened at work 2 years ago, their "facts" wouldn't be 100% correct.  Most people don't google every time they tell a story.

Commodore wasn't sharing an innocuous story about an isolated event from years past. He was ranting about a series of events across an entire season, and much of his material was flat-out wrong. I suspect that he deliberately exaggerated his experience to the interviewer. 

This wasn't an objective recounting of the facts. It was a petulant diatribe.

It still doesn't explain Dan Cleary.

I have (obviously) strongly objected to Babcock's use of Cleary in the past two seasons, but I can nevertheless appreciate that there are no perfect coaches anywhere, and that imperfect does not mean atrocious.

#26 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

I always thought it was an odd signing given his history with Babs. There is probably some truth in odd bits of what he's saying, wrapped up in his own egotistical ramblings. The guy tanked his NHL career by being a 3rd pairing journeyman Dman on a team with a stacked defence.

Still, a very odd signing by Holland. He seems to like signing players Babcock won't work with.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#27 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

Michael, Michael, Michael...do you not know the unwritten commandment of hockey players?

Thou shalt not bite the hand that feeds you.

Posted Image

#28 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

Boo-hoo. The guy couldn't get a job and stick any where in the league because he didn't earn a spot even when the Wings had injuries or players under-performing that season. He didn't stand out, and its not Babcock or Boucher's fault. Defensemen are usually a universal need and if he was good enough to stay in the league, he would have stayed, even if he had to earn via a PTO.

The fact of the matter is he couldn't stick in the league for more than 500 games because he couldn't cut it. Honestly, I don't know what makes the guy think so highly of himself. The guy was a career minus player over his 480+ NHL games and averaged about 18 points over every 82 games. And in what universe was he a part of one of the best defense pairings in the league?

Part of the reason he couldn't find a job is that he paints himself as ever the victim instead of doing what needs to be done to get better, and now he is just playing the KHL's PR game to say North American organizations conspired against me to ruin my career.

#29 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

Nice Commie22. It's always the GMs, coaches, whatever, who hindered you becoming a Hall of Famer. The only thing thats missing in his story is a blaming of Al Zabatoka preparing the ice in a special way just to hamper his play.

I take his story with caution. He just sounds like a frustrated guy who thinks of himself to be at least a Top #4-Dman. Instead he was/is a reliable 7th maybe 6th D-Man. 

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#30 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

He's playing the blame game.

If he was even a remotely effective defenseman, he would have a spot in the NHL. The Wings gave him an opportunity and all he could do was blame the coach and his ice time.

The Columbus story seals the deal though. He was let go from Columbus because the coach (Hitchcock) was too jealous of how much money Commodore was making? 

After this article, and several other comments and incidents in the past, it is very fair to say that the problem is Commodore, not the coaches. A guy who can't get along with anyone who coaches him is a problem. ESPECIALLY if that player is a 7th defenseman AT BEST.

Posted Image

#31 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

The title also speaks volumes about Commodore's state of mind:

Commie's Russian story: How Babcock sent Mike to the other side of the planet

I know that the title was probably selected by the journalist, but it really does reflect Commodore's tone of frenzied blame. As others have mentioned, the guy can't accept that his inability to stick in the NHL was his own fault. His difficulties with remaining in shape, his poor attitude, his one dimensional-game, and his often poor performance at the NHL level were what drove him out, yet he chooses instead to blame his coaches. This part is particularly rich:

I was thrown off the team in Columbus because I was single and I was making a lot of money. The coach was jealous because he played a lot of years, he had a wife and kids and he felt he didn't earn a lot of money so he booted me off the team.

Right, Mike. Whatever you say.

#32 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

The title also speaks volumes about Commodore's state of mind:

Commie's Russian story: How Babcock sent Mike to the other side of the planet

I know that the title was probably selected by the journalist, but it really does reflect Commodore's tone of frenzied blame. As others have mentioned, the guy can't accept that his inability to stick in the NHL was his own fault. His difficulties with remaining in shape, his poor attitude, his one dimensional-game, and his often poor performance at the NHL level were what drove him out, yet he chooses instead to blame his coaches. This part is particularly rich:

I was thrown off the team in Columbus because I was single and I was making a lot of money. The coach was jealous because he played a lot of years, he had a wife and kids and he felt he didn't earn a lot of money so he booted me off the team.

Right, Mike. Whatever you say.

So, according to Mike's logic, Crosby should be on his way to the KHL. 

I'll believe that when I see it, thanks.

#33 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

Commodore should have worn #64 that's why babs hated him.

#34 greene709

greene709

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

The guy is only known for one thing and it wasn't how good of a hockey player he was. People only know his name because he had big bushy red hair that sold some wigs the year a team that nobody cares about won a stanley cup. Sounds like he is looking for another 15 mins.

#35 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Mike Commodore is right where he belongs.

One last photo before we wave buh bye:

03_2Commi.jpg

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#36 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

In other flash-in-the-pan-former-NHLer-in-the-KHL news, Johnathon Cheechoo receives a quote "brutal" hit to the head from behind... apparently something is lost in translation and the Russian word for "soft" is easily confused with the word for "brutal". From what I can see he barely gets a shove from behind and you'd think his head came clean off his shoulders the way he dropped.

http://www.khl.hr/en...hit-in-the-head

Is it too soon to make a joke about taking him off the ice in a tarp?  :confused:

#37 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

So, according to Mike's logic, Crosby should be on his way to the KHL. 

I'll believe that when I see it, thanks.

i think more people would be happy rather than upset :P

Edited by amato, 06 December 2013 - 02:00 PM.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#38 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

"I was thrown off the team in Columbus because I was single and I was making a lot of money. The coach was jealous because he played a lot of years, he had a wife and kids and he felt he didn't earn a lot of money so he booted me off the team."

I love to think that someone could be so delusional and paranoid that this thought would inhabit them long enough to become a personal reality. 

#39 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

Wow, he sounds like a huge douchebag.

I don't doubt that Babs can be a prick, but the blame game has just reached trolololololololol levels...

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#40 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Disgruntled Zamboni Driver

• PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

i think more people would be happy rather than upset :P

<--- This guy

5_zps63dcf56d.jpg

"The Russian Five"