• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

Agreed. Commodore is a whiner. He's also got a terrible memory. Let's go down the list.

He's got better memory than I do: I'd forgotten he was ever on the team!

#42 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

Commodore wasn't sharing an innocuous story about an isolated event from years past. He was ranting about a series of events across an entire season, and much of his material was flat-out wrong. I suspect that he deliberately exaggerated his experience to the interviewer. 

This wasn't an objective recounting of the facts. It was a petulant diatribe.

I have (obviously) strongly objected to Babcock's use of Cleary in the past two seasons, but I cvertheless appreciate that there are no perfect coaches anywhere, and that imperfect does not mean atrocious.

Exactly, which is why the "facts" really don't matter.

Not a fan of Commodore, and his failings are not on the coaches he's had, however, his situation and Cleary's to some extent does give credence to those that feel that it isn't always all business, its sometimes personal. I remember many in the media who were totally befuddled at the time of the Commodore signing, citing the bitter history between the two. I think it applies to Tootoo as well.  I hated the signing at the time, but even so, it seems like he never really got a fair shake here. 

It does seem at times that there's a bit of a cat and mouse game with Holland and Babcock. 

#43 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

I liked the style of play Commodore brought to the table, but he's had the reputation of being a whiner for a long time, and deservedly so, in my opinion. He was brought in to play the role of a rugged, scrappy shut-down defenseman. For his size, he should've been a hell of a lot more physical and willing to drop the gloves. Not that he didn't do these things at all, but I don't specifically remember him being the most physical guy out there. He filled the role average, at best. He dropped the gloves a whopping 3 times in 17 games in the regular season with Detroit. He came off as kind of a ****** due to some of the stuff he posted online of the course of his NHL career, as well.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#44 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

Commodore playing for Admiral?

That is deep.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#45 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

I really feel for him but I'd endure what he went through for $1mill

Edited by RedWingsRox, 06 December 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#46 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

I really feel for him but I'd endure what he went through for $1mill

As would I, and I'd even do a better job with the toilets than Conklin, and Hudler wouldn't have needed to remind me about the stairs, either.

;)

Edited by TheXym, 06 December 2013 - 08:59 PM.

It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#47 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

Unless one is deliberately trying to sound like a vociferous whiner, the facts always matter.

#48 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

i think more people would be happy rather than upset :P

Except in Pittsburgh and at nbc

#49 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:36 PM

I fully understand Mike Commodore it sucks when someone is lying to your face. That's why I'm a big Fab of having the coach and GM on the same page, when it comes down to personal. Babcock needs a certain type of players and Kenny has to provide him with them.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#50 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,018 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

Not a fan of Commodore, and his failings are not on the coaches he's had, however, his situation and Cleary's to some extent does give credence to those that feel that it isn't always all business, its sometimes personal. I remember many in the media who were totally befuddled at the time of the Commodore signing, citing the bitter history between the two. I think it applies to Tootoo as well.  I hated the signing at the time, but even so, it seems like he never really got a fair shake here. 

It does seem at times that there's a bit of a cat and mouse game with Holland and Babcock. 

The facts do matter, it's just that a reputable source would've fact checked, then gone back to Commodore with the discrepancy before finishing the article.  Not to make him look bad but just to point out the actual facts so he could know and comment on them.  Because I agree that if it's an off the cuff interview he shouldn't be expected to remember all the exact details.

#51 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:50 AM

I've known hockey players like this at every level.
"It's because coach hates me"
These guys are almost always mediocre at hockey but great at beer pong.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#52 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

Being here in Columbus - the guy was a locker room cancer.  All he did was whine at a time when that particular team had non-leader captain (Nash) and were working a system that wasn't set for the personnel they had, and it certainly didn't fit Commodore's skill set since he doesn't skate particularly well for a D-man.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#53 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

Wow, he sounds like a huge douchebag.
I don't doubt that Babs can be a prick, but the blame game has just reached trolololololololol levels...

Yeah, that was some crazy ginger madness.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!