• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MabusIncarnate

12/6 GDT 7:00PM: Red Wings 3 at Devils 1

Rate this topic

Next, the "We better buyout Franzen" cohort needs to suck a fat one. Going back to the lines above, if he doesn't center the 2nd line, he could play on the top line instead of Bert because Mule can flat out finish. He is who is he and it's stretches like this that people forget when he goes 4-6 games without scoring. Find me a better player for the money he makes - good luck.

As a fully paid up member of the Franzen Compliance Buyout Society, let me just state how delighted I am with his current level of play. But this is part of the problem - we all know he is capable of playing at this level, just he does it so rarely. And how long will this stretch go? Will he get to his regulation 25 goals and call it quits for the season like normal, or will he carry on with his monster play? Whats caused the turnaround? Has he changed his meds like Daniels said on air, or did Holland tell him there was a compliance buyout with his name on it?

Meanwhile - go Tats and Gus!

Brunner went to a team who's system doesn't fit his style. New Jersey requires a lot defensively from it's forwards. He doesn't have the responsibility to thrive in that system. He needs to be somewhere where he can settle into a secondary scoring role and not have to play as much in his own end. Namely...here, for example.

No. Babcock is a very demanding coach defensively. There is no spot for Brunner anymore.

As a fully paid up member of the Franzen Compliance Buyout Society, let me just state how delighted I am with his current level of play. But this is part of the problem - we all know he is capable of playing at this level, just he does it so rarely. And how long will this stretch go? Will he get to his regulation 25 goals and call it quits for the season like normal, or will he carry on with his monster play? Whats caused the turnaround? Has he changed his meds like Daniels said on air, or did Holland tell him there was a compliance buyout with his name on it?

Meanwhile - go Tats and Gus!

The dudes got a low cap hit and scores 25+ goals for us every year.

Yes.

He has long periods where it doesnt seem like he does anything, but when the injury bug hits the people around him he steps up.

He's on the first line, in a lineup without datsyuk, and Zetterberg and he's keeping us competitive in games.

I'm worried about what'll happen when he's 35+, but I like him.

Personally And I'm glad we have him.

I can't say how much I love Goose & Tatar, they just look so complimentary out there. They also looked great with Mule or Bert, I love the one scrum when Nyquist was trying to stuff it in at the side of the net and was getting pushed around and Big Bert pushed the guy back about 4 feet, I will miss Bert for that one reason (he's a big scary a dude). Monster is playing great and the replay of that save he made?! Nice

One last note about last night's game. I was watching the Wings bench as they came out for the third period and I'm not sure if TV caught it but Babcock went down the bench tapping each player on the shoulders or a back slap as if to say "Here we go, let's get this rolling."

FYI

BREAKING NEWS!!!

ESPN FEATURES HOCKEY!!!

sportscenter had monsters save as the #1 top play.

Shocking that they had hockey on the countdown at all, but it was #1.

AND the showed a beautiful behind the back pass, between the legs goal in college(I think) hockey.

No, the breaking news is that someone still watches ESPN! :lol:

That was a serious Ninja save.

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents about the officiating. I thought it was the worst of the year so far. The Devils got hosed far too many times and the icing on the cake was the final call that resulted in a goal for the Wings.

Nice to get the win, not nice to get it that way.

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents about the officiating. I thought it was the worst of the year so far. The Devils got hosed far too many times and the icing on the cake was the final call that resulted in a goal for the Wings.

Nice to get the win, not nice to get it that way.

If youre a wings fan, you know very well thay wasn't the worst of the year, remember the Ottawa game.

Pav.

Hacks.

More hacks.

Elbows.

dangerous high hit on helm

It was bad.

But by far not the worst.

It's how it goes, the refs miss calls or make bad calls every game.

Sometimes it helps you, sometimes it hurts you.

I would've liked the generous calls to have came against a better/dirtier team.

But you cant win em' all.

No, the breaking news is that someone still watches ESPN! :lol:

That was a serious Ninja save.

I actually watch it every night.

The dull repetitive nature of it helps lull me to sleep, like white noise.

Some prefer waves crashing on the shore, some prefer rainstorms, I prefer shoddy "sports reporting."

I was actually watching just to see if hed make the top plays list to see it on a big screen again.

That save was the bees knees, yo.

Ha.

His style reminds me of a less acrobatic, more structured Hasek.

Edit: spelling mistakes.

And...

Here's to hoping monster keeps it up long enough to drive his trade value through the roof so we can package him with some dead weight and get a top d man.

Or at least long enough for jimmy to wash off whatever funk he fell into.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

If youre a wings fan, you know very well thay wasn't the worst of the year, remember the Ottawa game.

Pav.

Hacks.

More hacks.

Elbows.

It was bad.

Some prefer waves crashing on the shore, some prefer rainstorms, I prefer shoddy "sports reporting."

I was actually watching just to see if hed make the top plays list to see it on a big screen again.

That save was the bees knees, yo.

Ha.

His style reminds me of a less acrobatic, more structured Hasek.

Edit: spelling mistakes.

And...

Here's to hoping monster keeps it up long enough to drive his trade value through the roof so we can package him with some dead weight and get a top d man.

Or at least long enough for jimmy to wash off whatever funk he fell into.

why would we want to trade our only goalie currently playing lights out hockey? his contract is up after the season anyways... if anyone says Mrazek I might snap, the kid is not ready to be in the nhl yet

Pav.

Hacks.

More hacks.

Elbows.

It was bad.

Relax, man. I was out of town that night and wasn't able to watch the Ottawa game. From what I heard/read, it sounded awful. This one was very poor as well.

No need nitpick on which game was worse, I never claimed one was over the other.

After the first fourteen Away games, ten is the most wins, (along with 1949-50, 2001-02, 2005-06 and 2008-09)), while 7 is the second best game-differential (wins - regulation losses) in the League's Modern Conference Era (the best: 2008-09 with eight) and the third best in Club history (behind 1951-52 with 9 and both 1949-50 and 2008-09, both with eight).

Relax, man. I was out of town that night and wasn't able to watch the Ottawa game. From what I heard/read, it sounded awful. This one was very poor as well.

No need nitpick on which game was worse, I never claimed one was over the other.

Ahhhhh.

Sorry bud, I wasn't trying to nitpick, i had drank a couple more than a few, so I was a bit belligerent.

Ha.

But yeah it was choppy.

A lot no calls, a lot of little shots taken after the whistle, their goons running at our stars.

You know,

East coast Rivalry buildin' stuff.

why would we want to trade our only goalie currently playing lights out hockey? his contract is up after the season anyways... if anyone says Mrazek I might snap, the kid is not ready to be in the nhl yet

I'm not saying trade him as soon as possible.

We've got plenty of time until the trade deadline forces us to make a move, which gives jimmy time to regain his form.

In that time, one of the goalies will have to miss a game for one reason or another, I'm kinda shocked monster has stayed healthy this long... Knock on wood.

But if/when one of them goes out, we don't HAVE to call up baby goalie, but hes probably the most nhl ready option we have.

We could always give McCollum a shot, we used a first round pick on him and hes only played 1.5 periods of NHL hockey.( I think Wed have to sign him to a 2way contract)

Coreau's not really an option.

But he played well in camp and preseason, AND he's huge (6'5'' 207 lb). Unfortunately, for whatever reason he's doing horrible in toledo,

And honestly Mrazek could become the starter someday.

Why not let him play a couple and see where he's at, He's splitting time in g.r. with McCollum anyway, so Why not?

he's going to be the backup within the next few years anyway.

And If he's clearly not ready, send him back down and lock Gus up for another year or two until he is.

but if they wait and find out Mrazek's ready in camp then we either wasted money resigning monster, or let him walk when we could've bettered our situation now.

Know what I'm saying?

It makes sense. When Howard is in net for game 7 of the second round wouldn't you want to maximize the teams talent on the ice (a good defensemen), rather than having that talent sit on the bench (Gus). He's played great and that's why I think it would be a good idea if we could get something for him. I remember for a little while people thought he was the answer for Toronto when they had Reimer and Gus. Now if Howard were to get injured in the playoffs it'd look bad, but it's also a matter of if your willing to take the risk to utilize the potential elsewhere on the ice. More often than not teams don't have to use their backup at all in the playoffs.

It makes sense. When Howard is in net for game 7 of the second round wouldn't you want to maximize the teams talent on the ice (a good defensemen), rather than having that talent sit on the bench (Gus). He's played great and that's why I think it would be a good idea if we could get something for him. I remember for a little while people thought he was the answer for Toronto when they had Reimer and Gus. Now if Howard were to get injured in the playoffs it'd look bad, but it's also a matter of if your willing to take the risk to utilize the potential elsewhere on the ice. More often than not teams don't have to use their backup at all in the playoffs.

And then there are other times when teams ride their backup to the Stanley Cup, ala Osgood in 2008.

I get what you're saying and it's a valid thought, but right now we might have been well out of playoff contention if not for Gus' ability to step in when Jimmy needed him to. He is actively demonstrating value to this team and keeping us competitive in the standings, and I think it would be quite risky to trade that type of insurance away.

Exactly.

We can send him and quincey(who can be effective in the right system) and get a stable 2nd pairing player to upgrade that 4th spot with a cheaper piece that fits better.

Edmonton needs a goalie.

Yakupov would look good besides pav.

Ha.

And then there are other times when teams ride their backup to the Stanley Cup, ala Osgood in 2008.

I get what you're saying and it's a valid thought, but right now we might have been well out of playoff contention if not for Gus' ability to step in when Jimmy needed him to. He is actively demonstrating value to this team and keeping us competitive in the standings, and I think it would be quite risky to trade that type of insurance away.

I know its risky, thats why I'm saying see what we have first.

He has been awesome, and I'd like to keep him but if we have a serviceable option in house then its worth the risk.

Gus has never been a good playoff goalie, and hes injury prone.

And who knows we may even be able to bring a good backup in with it.

We have plenty of moveable assets, some more so then others, but we have 3 centers out of AHL options after this season, a load of prospects and picks.

Brunner went to a team who's system doesn't fit his style. New Jersey requires a lot defensively from it's forwards. He doesn't have the responsibility to thrive in that system. He needs to be somewhere where he can settle into a secondary scoring role and not have to play as much in his own end. Namely...here, for example.

Isn't this exactly the opposite of why Weiss is having troubles? The Wings require their forwards to be responsible in both ends. Confused.

"Weiss said he's still getting used to the Red Wings' style, which emphasizes rigid defensive responsibility."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-panthers/fl-florida-panthers-news-1207-20131206,0,3984817.story?track=rss