• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#341 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

After the first fourteen Away games, ten is the most wins, (along with 1949-50, 2001-02, 2005-06 and 2008-09)), while 7 is the second best game-differential (wins - regulation losses) in the League's Modern Conference Era (the best: 2008-09 with eight) and the third best in Club history (behind 1951-52 with 9 and both 1949-50 and 2008-09, both with eight).

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#342 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

Relax, man.  I was out of town that night and wasn't able to watch the Ottawa game.  From what I heard/read, it sounded awful.  This one was very poor as well.

No need nitpick on which game was worse, I never claimed one was over the other.

Ahhhhh.
Sorry bud, I wasn't trying to nitpick, i had drank a couple more than a few, so I was a bit belligerent.
Ha.
But yeah it was choppy.
A lot no calls, a lot of little shots taken after the whistle, their goons running at our stars.
You know,
East coast Rivalry buildin' stuff.

#343 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

why would we want to trade our only goalie currently playing lights out hockey? his contract is up after the season anyways... if anyone says Mrazek I might snap, the kid is not ready to be in the nhl yet

I'm not saying trade him as soon as possible.

We've got plenty of time until the trade deadline forces us to make a move, which gives jimmy time to regain his form.
In that time, one of the goalies will have to miss a game for one reason or another, I'm kinda shocked monster has stayed healthy this long... Knock on wood.
But if/when one of them goes out, we don't HAVE to call up baby goalie, but hes probably the most nhl ready option we have.

We could always give McCollum a shot, we used a first round pick on him and hes only played 1.5 periods of NHL hockey.( I think Wed have to sign him to a 2way contract)

Coreau's not really an option.
But he played well in camp and preseason, AND he's huge (6'5'' 207 lb). Unfortunately, for whatever reason he's doing horrible in toledo,
And honestly Mrazek could become the starter someday.
Why not let him play a couple and see where he's at, He's splitting time in g.r. with McCollum anyway, so Why not?
he's going to be the backup within the next few years anyway.

And If he's clearly not ready, send him back down and lock Gus up for another year or two until he is.

but if they wait and find out Mrazek's ready in camp then we either wasted money resigning monster, or let him walk when we could've bettered our situation now.

Know what I'm saying?

#344 puck9595

puck9595

Draftee

• 14 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

why would we want to trade our only goalie currently playing lights out hockey? his contract is up after the season anyways... if anyone says Mrazek I might snap, the kid is not ready to be in the nhl yet

It makes sense.  When Howard is in net for game 7 of the second round wouldn't you want to maximize the teams talent on the ice (a good defensemen), rather than having that talent sit on the bench (Gus).  He's played great and that's why I think it would be a good idea if we could get something for him.  I remember for a little while people thought he was the answer for Toronto when they had Reimer and Gus.  Now if Howard were to get injured in the playoffs it'd look bad, but it's also a matter of if your willing to take the risk to utilize the potential elsewhere on the ice.  More often than not teams don't have to use their backup at all in the playoffs.

#345 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

It makes sense.  When Howard is in net for game 7 of the second round wouldn't you want to maximize the teams talent on the ice (a good defensemen), rather than having that talent sit on the bench (Gus).  He's played great and that's why I think it would be a good idea if we could get something for him.  I remember for a little while people thought he was the answer for Toronto when they had Reimer and Gus.  Now if Howard were to get injured in the playoffs it'd look bad, but it's also a matter of if your willing to take the risk to utilize the potential elsewhere on the ice.  More often than not teams don't have to use their backup at all in the playoffs.

And then there are other times when teams ride their backup to the Stanley Cup, ala Osgood in 2008.
I get what you're saying and it's a valid thought, but right now we might have been well out of playoff contention if not for Gus' ability to step in when Jimmy needed him to. He is actively demonstrating value to this team and keeping us competitive in the standings, and I think it would be quite risky to trade that type of insurance away.

#346 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

Exactly.
We can send him and quincey(who can be effective in the right system) and get a stable 2nd pairing player to upgrade that 4th spot with a cheaper piece that fits better.

Edmonton needs a goalie.
Yakupov would look good besides pav.
Ha.

#347 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

And then there are other times when teams ride their backup to the Stanley Cup, ala Osgood in 2008.
I get what you're saying and it's a valid thought, but right now we might have been well out of playoff contention if not for Gus' ability to step in when Jimmy needed him to. He is actively demonstrating value to this team and keeping us competitive in the standings, and I think it would be quite risky to trade that type of insurance away.

I know its risky, thats why I'm saying see what we have first.
He has been awesome, and I'd like to keep him but if we have a serviceable option in house then its worth the risk.
Gus has never been a good playoff goalie, and hes injury prone.

And who knows we may even be able to bring a good backup in with it.
We have plenty of moveable assets, some more so then others, but we have 3 centers out of AHL options after this season, a load of prospects and picks.

#348 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

Brunner went to a team who's system doesn't fit his style. New Jersey requires a lot defensively from it's forwards. He doesn't have the responsibility to thrive in that system. He needs to be somewhere where he can settle into a secondary scoring role and not have to play as much in his own end. Namely...here, for example.

Isn't this exactly the opposite of why Weiss is having troubles? The Wings require their forwards to be responsible in both ends. Confused.

"Weiss said he's still getting used to the Red Wings' style, which emphasizes rigid defensive responsibility."

http://www.sun-senti...story?track=rss