• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#281 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:02 AM

I don't think so.  Tatar and Nyquist had no shots on goal.  Wings pretty much handed Florida two points.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#282 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:07 AM

Sounds as though I didn't miss much.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#283 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

Sounds as though I didn't miss much.

You missed Cleary score and solidify his number in the rafters and a top 6 spot going forward

#284 Aznknight

Aznknight

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:27 AM

We like our team

#285 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:06 AM

You missed Cleary score and solidify his number in the rafters and a top 6 spot going forward

Why be tasteless?

Dan Cleary is the only completely blameless person in this pathetic display.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#286 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:26 AM

Hasek used to scoop up the puck and fire it out of the zone like he was hitting a baseball.  :w00t:

I miss that.

I didn't even mind the delay of game penalties when it went over the glass.

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#287 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:52 AM

Why be tasteless?

Dan Cleary is the only completely blameless person in this pathetic display.  

I do not disagree, but every point Cleary is able to scrap together is justification for his resigning.  I fully realize thinking like this is simply spiteful, but his ass clogging the roster is inexcusable with how many talented, young guys are trapped in Grand Rapids.  

It is one thing to protect veterans like Chelios and Lidstrom, who work day in and day out, giving 100%, and making smart plays.  It is a totally different situation with an average player who continued to show declining skill, careless play, and lazy skating.

That's why you blame Cleary. It spiteful and disgusting, but he is the face of a broader management problem which does not recognize the "old" and "veteran" are completely different things.

Edited by King Crane, 08 December 2013 - 04:53 AM.

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#288 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

Gotta say that was one of the most uninspiring performances Ive seen live. You know its bad when the Sammy, Emmerton, and Cleary line was the best all night. By the 2nd period I heard many comments saying they wished theyd put the MSU game on the big screen instead of this boring game.

#289 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

It looked like the Wings were dead tired on the second half of a back to back.  I'm not gonna put too much into the loss.  I kind of saw it coming all day. 

#290 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

I'm not sure if you're all aware that losing your top three puck-moving forwards will neuter a team's offense, and losing your top three defensive forwards will neuter your team's defense.

#291 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

Just shows that Bert has always been a scrub time to put Datsyuk with a real winger

#292 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

"Cleary Haters" put on hold = Sweet.

Detroit beaten by Weiss' former team = Conspiracy.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#293 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

I'm not sure if you're all aware that losing your top three puck-moving forwards will neuter a team's offense, and losing your top three defensive forwards will neuter your team's defense.

If Darren Helm is one of your top three puck moving forwards, then this team has a lot to worry about.   

#294 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

If Darren Helm is one of your top three puck moving forwards, then this team has a lot to worry about.   

You don’t think Helm’s ability to skate the puck with speed through the neutral zone almost at will counts as puck moving? No one’s saying he's Adam Oates. 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#295 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

He has shown top 6 caliber play this year. Just because he has been known as a defensive player doesn't mean he isn't one of our most effective forwards offensively. His speed changes the whole dynamic of this team. I'm not saying we would have won if he was in the lineup because the boys played very slow and uninspired but don't downplay the god that is Darren Helm. He is probably our 4th most important forward on this team

#296 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

You don’t think Helm’s ability to skate the puck with speed through the neutral zone almost at will counts as puck moving? No one’s saying he's Adam Oates. 

He has shown top 6 caliber play this year. Just because he has been known as a defensive player doesn't mean he isn't one of our most effective forwards offensively. His speed changes the whole dynamic of this team. I'm not saying we would have won if he was in the lineup because the boys played very slow and uninspired but don't downplay the god that is Darren Helm. He is probably our 4th most important forward on this team

Helm is fast, but he's not a puck moving forward with skill.  He's more of a Draper type, dump and chase with speed.  He has played very well this season offensively, though.  I guess you guys have a different definition of a puck moving forward than I do.    

We need him back because he makes the team harder to play against.  

#297 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

Helm is fast, but he's not a puck moving forward with skill.  He's more of a Draper type, dump and chase with speed.  He has played very well this season offensively, though.  I guess you guys have a different definition of a puck moving forward than I do.    

We need him back because he makes the team harder to play against.  

Helm moves the puck very effectively with his speed. He plays an important part in the team's puck possession game. And he's faster, stronger, and more physical than Draper ever was.

#298 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

While I mostly agree with that statement losing those players shouldnt diminish the teams compete level though. They competed against NJ. Against Florida they looked like a team just showing up to the rink to collect a paycheck. I dont care how many players are missing. There is no way the Florida freaking Panthers should outshoot Detroit by almost 2-1 at the Joe.

#299 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

Helm moves the puck very effectively with his speed. He plays an important part in the team's puck possession game. And he's faster, stronger, and more physical than Draper ever was.

I'll give you faster, though Draper had wheels too.  But stronger and more physical is definitely debatable.

Honestly, no.  When someone refers to a player as "puck moving" I typically think they're referring to passing, not carrying it up ice themselves.   I don't mean to get into a semantics discussion, just saying that's generally how i feel like it's used, and is generally applied to defensemen.

#300 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

I'll give you faster, though Draper had wheels too.  But stronger and more physical is definitely debatable.

Honestly, no.  When someone refers to a player as "puck moving" I typically think they're referring to passing, not carrying it up ice themselves.   I don't mean to get into a semantics discussion, just saying that's generally how i feel like it's used, and is generally applied to defensemen.

Agreed. And forwards who move the puck well are referred to as play-makers. 

But getting back to Helm. He’s definitely not a play-making forward, But after Datsyuk and Zetterberg, so far this year, he’s been the third best “possession” forward IMO. Meaning he’s integral in moving the puck forward into the offensive zone, hanging on to the puck, and making offence happen. I think that Crymson’s original statement about our top 3 puck moving forwards being out is mostly accurate regardless of how we define Helm’s style of play. 

edit to add: Ultimately, by definition, DeKeyser fits the bill, and his absence hurts possibly even more than Helm. Captain Obvious here, I know. 

Edited by rick zombo, 08 December 2013 - 05:25 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"