• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#301 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

While I mostly agree with that statement losing those players shouldnt diminish the teams compete level though. They competed against NJ. Against Florida they looked like a team just showing up to the rink to collect a paycheck. I dont care how many players are missing. There is no way the Florida freaking Panthers should outshoot Detroit by almost 2-1 at the Joe.

It was also back to back nights. That will diminish the complete level.

#302 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,647 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

Ha.  Not when we're playing against teams playing a back to back.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#303 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

Ha.  Not when we're playing against teams playing a back to back.  

I'd like to see your data on this.

#304 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

We have actually been pretty decent in back to backs this season. There's no reason to get all up in arms after this loss there was a lot of things working against us. The big picture is this team has won 5 of the last 7 with Datsyuk injured and next game he returns with Dekeseyer not far behind him

#305 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

Pee'd away 2 pts.  Games like these and the lost to NYI that will prevent us from being in the top 4 ... assuming we make it into the top 8.  

Edited by RedWingsRox, 08 December 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#306 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,647 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

I'd like to see your data on this.

Just my observation from over the years.  Too many times we play teams who played the night before, and those teams don't seem to look tired.  I'm guessing it's because the Wings don't play a style that wears teams down enough.  

The back to back excuse is pathetic.  Everyone plays tons of back to back games throughout the year.  It's part of the NHL schedule, especially in this last calendar year, with a shortened season last year and now the Olympics coming up in February.  

They just have to deal with it and compete harder on a nightly basis.  No one can say this is one of the hardest working teams in the league.  At least not so far.  I put that on Babcock and the players.  They should have played harder last night.    

Edited by GMRwings1983, 08 December 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#307 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:42 AM

http://www.ajsplays....-stats.html?m=1

Last years back to back stats.

#308 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:56 AM

Just my observation from over the years.  Too many times we play teams who played the night before, and those teams don't seem to look tired.  I'm guessing it's because the Wings don't play a style that wears teams down enough.  

I think you're just seeing what you want to see.

Aaaaaaand the stats back it up :lol:  Teams are worse on back to backs, especially on the road.  And the Wings were one of the better back to back teams......

Edited by Nev, 09 December 2013 - 01:57 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#309 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:46 AM

Also travelling to two cities and injuries to a lot of key players lol. This is not the kind of loss to freak out about they'll be other ones that we can worry about

Having said that though I think we played pretty poorly the last 2 games and it could be a sign of things to come. Our losses usually come in bunches but hopefully getting Datsyuk back will jump start these guys motivation

#310 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,997 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

We have actually been pretty decent in back to backs this season. There's no reason to get all up in arms after this loss there was a lot of things working against us. The big picture is this team has won 5 of the last 7 with Datsyuk injured and next game he returns with Dekeseyer not far behind him

I can get behind this.

For me, this is one of those losses that stings like hell for 48 hours...and then disappears from my mind forever. Because it's really not a big deal.

When dealing with craptastic performances from my Red Wings, I've found it really does help to keep things in perspective. I don't mean "Hockey is just a game. Get over it," because no one wants to hear that. I mean, e.g., How deep are we into the season? (Remember: it's an 82-game season. That's a very forgving number.) Or, How many players are out with injuries? Are we dealing with adversity? Have we seen the team fully healthy and playing the best hockey it can play? Etc.

Ultimately, when I ask those big questions, I feel pretty good about where we are. We've had to deal with injuries to literally almost everyone on our roster. Right now we're missing our top three centers (two of them being the best players on the team) and our third-best defenseman. That leaves us with an incredibly iffy lineup that I honestly wouldn't trust to beat the Sabres or Panthers reliably, never mind win five out of seven (though I suppose this current version of the Broken Wings is only 1-2). If you'd told me that we'd be losing all of these key players but coming away with a pretty impressive winning record (and seeing guys like Franzen, Nyquist, and Tatar really elevate their play), I'd happily take that future.

The big thing is that we haven't seen the real Red Wings this season. Maybe a game here or there, but, for the most part, it's been a banged-up and/or really out-of-sorts shell of the team we know this team can be. Considering that, the fact that we're challening for first in the division and conference is extremely encouraging. If we can get rolling and be the team we're capable of being (hell, just having our top three centers back would be nice enough), we're going to do some damage. If we can add a top-four defenseman or top-six winger on top of that, the Conference Finals = reachable.

Edited by Dabura, 09 December 2013 - 09:49 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#311 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

Back to backs can take the legs but it shouldn't effect the compete level. 

#312 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

Kinda hard to compete when you can't move your feet.

#313 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

Yeah, this is it.  You can be trying your hardest, but sometimes your body just won't respond.  If the tank is empty, doesn't matter how hard you push the pedal, you ain't going any faster.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#314 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,647 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

I think you're just seeing what you want to see.

Aaaaaaand the stats back it up :lol:  Teams are worse on back to backs, especially on the road.  And the Wings were one of the better back to back teams......

I was talking about the Wings record when the other team is facing a back to back.    

#315 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

I was talking about the Wings record when the other team is facing a back to back.    

I was just posting the stats in case someone wanted to look at them.

#316 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

Kinda hard to compete when you can't move your feet.

I agree. The point I was trying to make though is even if your tank is empty its easy to spot someone whos just not trying hard. That was most of the team saturday. Hopefully they five a better effort tonight.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2