Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

12/7 GDT: Panthers 2 at Red Wings 1

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#21 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

The Wings had a kind of quiet control over the game last night in NJ. I think they'll carry that forward tonight. 3-2 Detroit. It's gonna be a bigger grind than many think. Let's say Alfie pops in a goal with 4 minutes to play and Detroit wins.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#22 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

So I just moved to Washington D.C. for a job and have found it difficult to watch games here.  That is, until I found out that former Red Wing Brian "Bugsy" Watson has a hockey bar in Alexandria VA.  The place is awesome, decked out in hockey regalia and full of Detroit faithful.  If any of you should ever find yourself in the D.C. area and are looking for a game.  I highly recommend checking it out. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#23 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

Why does the sight of Kopecky on the opponents roster strike such an irrational fear in me?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#24 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

A random list of guys making roughly the same salary as Weiss (who earns just shy of $5 million):

James Neal (Pittsburgh) $5,000,000
Brad Marchand (Boston) $4,500,000     
Marian Hossa (Chicago) $5,275,000
Martin Havlat (San Jose) $5,000,000
David Backes (highest payed player on St. Louis) $4,500,000
Evander Kane (Winnipeg) $5,250,000
David Legwand (highest payed player on Nashville) $4,500,000
Ryan Kessler (Vancouver) $5,000,000

Well, Havlat isn't doing much...

I, like others, would love for Weiss to get going tonight.  I think this really could be a worthwhile roster IF Weiss can somehow locate his previous ability to play the game of hockey (and once everyone is healthy).

They should still beat Florida tonight even with the roster handicap.  Although, the game is in Detroit.... which is a clear advantage for the Panthers.

Edited by barabbas16, 07 December 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#25 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

I'm sure most of you saw during the NJ game when FSD did the get to know the player graphic on Abby that he said his favorite book is the Hunger games, anyone else surprised that he admitted that?

I like the book too, not my favorite, but surprised he admitted it. 

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#26 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

I'm sure most of you saw during the NJ game when FSD did the get to know the player graphic on Abby that he said his favorite book is the Hunger games, anyone else surprised that he admitted that?

I like the book too, not my favorite, but surprised he admitted it. 

Haven't read the books.  I thought the movies were pretty good though, especially the 2nd one.  Based on the movies it doesn't seem that embarrassing to admit.  It's not like he said Twilight or something.

#27 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

Haven't read the books.  I thought the movies were pretty good though, especially the 2nd one.  Based on the movies it doesn't seem that embarrassing to admit.  It's not like he said Twilight or something.

No, not as bad as Twilight, but I'm guessing he caught a lot of flack in the locker room for it.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#28 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

A random list of guys making roughly the same salary as Weiss (who earns just shy of $5 million):

James Neal (Pittsburgh) $5,000,000
Brad Marchand (Boston) $4,500,000     
Marian Hossa (Chicago) $5,275,000
Martin Havlat (San Jose) $5,000,000
David Backes (highest payed player on St. Louis) $4,500,000
Evander Kane (Winnipeg) $5,250,000
David Legwand (highest payed player on Nashville) $4,500,000
Ryan Kessler (Vancouver) $5,000,000

James Neal - Needs an elite center to be effective. Has the luxury of playing with Malkin and Crosby.

Brad Marchand - Will never be anything more than a superpest who hovers around 20-25 goals, and his scoring won't carry into his 30's.

Marian Hossa - This one I'll grant you, although aging and recently beset by injuries.

Martin Havlat - Are you kidding me? Almost completely worthless at this point. Has not done a thing in years. Last time he was effective was in a Blackhawks jersey.

David Backes - See Brad Marchand, although a little tougher.

Evander Kane - Again...are you kidding me? Shows flashes once in a while but produces nowhere near his potential. Constantly embroiled in some trade discussion. I question his attitude, work ethic and commitment to the Jets.

David Legwand - Another "Are you kidding me?" player. Has never been anything more than decent offensively. Rises to the top lines because he's the least inept of all the Predators' forwards on offense. Leading a franchise who has never had a truly great offensive player in offensive categories does not impress me.

Ryan Kesler - I would grant you this one a few years ago. Hasn't been the same player since the injury. He will never get back to 40 goals.

Edited by DatsyukToZetterberg, 07 December 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#29 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

weiss will be the new Commodore if he doesn't smarten up  :nono:

#30 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

Why does the sight of Kopecky on the opponents roster strike such an irrational fear in me?

SCJ10_21c.jpg

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#31 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

SCJ10_21c.jpg

esteef

He's using a spoon...damn it, Kopes.

#32 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

He's using a spoon...damn it, Kopes.

Very fancy, I bet he spends a lot of time watching Downton Abbey.

#33 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Very fancy, I bet he spends a lot of time watching Downton Abbey.

The tattoo, the chain, the hair...the spoon...this guy...

#34 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

The Wings had a kind of quiet control over the game last night in NJ. I think they'll carry that forward tonight. 3-2 Detroit. It's gonna be a bigger grind than many think. Let's say Alfie pops in a goal with 4 minutes to play and Detroit wins.

I was there too.  I agree - I thought they played textbook Babcock small ball last night winning battles along the boards and grinding it out.  I dont know how it looked on tv but in the rink it looked like a well executed game plan. 

works every time

#35 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

Where is my Fedora, Damn it?!

#36 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

These are the games we need to win. The wins against the lowly teams of the league. Points add up at the end of the season. Let's put them away tonight and come out with some energy. Two starts in a row for Monster. would love to see him win his 9th! Go Wings!

#37 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

I was there too.  I agree - I thought they played textbook Babcock small ball last night winning battles along the boards and grinding it out.  I dont know how it looked on tv but in the rink it looked like a well executed game plan. 

Watching on TV it wasn't the most exciting, but in the end a win is always exciting.

#38 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,061 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

Someone say Kopecky?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0JKrL-AGRoY

#NOMOREKINDL

#39 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

James Neal - Needs an elite center to be effective. Has the luxury of playing with Malkin and Crosby.

Brad Marchand - Will never be anything more than a superpest who hovers around 20-25 goals, and his scoring won't carry into his 30's.

Marian Hossa - This one I'll grant you, although aging and recently beset by injuries.

Martin Havlat - Are you kidding me? Almost completely worthless at this point. Has not done a thing in years. Last time he was effective was in a Blackhawks jersey.

David Backes - See Brad Marchand, although a little tougher.

Evander Kane - Again...are you kidding me? Shows flashes once in a while but produces nowhere near his potential. Constantly embroiled in some trade discussion. I question his attitude, work ethic and commitment to the Jets.

David Legwand - Another "Are you kidding me?" player. Has never been anything more than decent offensively. Rises to the top lines because he's the least inept of all the Predators' forwards on offense. Leading a franchise who has never had a truly great offensive player in offensive categories does not impress me.

Ryan Kesler - I would grant you this one a few years ago. Hasn't been the same player since the injury. He will never get back to 40 goals.

What's the point of grading all these players. Would you give a "Are you kidding me?" to Weiss. He is by far the worst out of that list

#40 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

That tattoo is a barcode cause he's always for sale.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.