Photo
- - - - -

Shawn Thornton attacks Orpik (leaves game on stretcher)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
165 replies to this topic

#1 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

I hate the Pens as much as the next Wings fan, but what Thornton did was uncalled for and def not part of the hockey 'code.' Seems almost certain that he will be suspended. Hopefully Orpik is okay.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings, 07 December 2013 - 08:57 PM.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#2 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

As was the knee to Marchand's head.  Both actions were pretty gutless.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#3 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

As was the knee to Marchand's head.  Both actions were pretty gutless.

Didn't see that yet. Just happened to catch this part of the incident only.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#4 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

This is the kind of s*** they need to get out of the game. Absolutely no place for it.

Edit: @penguins: ORPIK UPDATE: Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital where he is alert and conscious.

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 07 December 2013 - 09:00 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#5 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

Knee to the head is at the 2:00 min mark.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#6 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

Coach's Corner shows what led up to the attack.

http://youtu.be/wVeb51AMmD8?t=7s

Edited by Son of a Wing, 07 December 2013 - 09:11 PM.

Vince Lombardi

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

I've seen worse muggings before in hockey.  The result is what made it look so bad.  I don't think Thornton was trying to end Orpik's career or else he would have dropped his gloves and decked him with a real swinging punch.

I have no problem with him being suspended, though.  It was a cheap move.   

Orpik is a D-bag, though.  There's a lot of players in the league that would like to do that to him.     

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#8 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

This makes me want to puke.  We should roll this into the "retaliation" thread just so everybody can get a good look at what the "code" has become.  Hit a guy clean, and some mongoloid comes along and cripples you just for the sake of being a tough guy.  Ugh, how can people even pretend that there's some sort of honor in NHL fighting these days?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#9 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Orpik should've fought him the first time two cheap shots on bruins players led to it...Thornton will get a suspension but I don't blame him.

This makes me want to puke.  We should roll this into the "retaliation" thread just so everybody can get a good look at what the "code" has become.  Hit a guy clean, and some mongoloid comes along and cripples you just for the sake of being a tough guy.  Ugh, how can people even pretend that there's some sort of honor in NHL fighting these days?

Kneeing a guy in the head is clean? LOL.

#10 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Orpik should've fought him the first time two cheap shots on bruins players led to it...Thornton will get a suspension but I don't blame him.

Why should Orpik have to fight for a clean hit?  He didn't cheap shot anyone. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#11 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

There is no "code"

I've seen muggings from he 70's and 80's that make this incident look like kissing.  Thornton went over the line, but that's always happened in different eras as well.  You can't take that out of hockey even if you neuter players like Thornton.  Hockey players in bad moods sometimes go over the line.  

Orpik didn't help himself any by being Brooks Orpik, one of the most disliked defenders in the league.    

#12 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

It didn't look like he hit him that bad tbh. The knee was way worse and definitely intent to injure he should get 10 games

#13 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

Why should Orpik have to fight for a clean hit?  He didn't cheap shot anyone. 

Maybe you should have a look at the knee to the head he did. The eriksson hit was clean though - he was mauled for a different reason

EDIT maybe it wasn't orpik that kneed him

Edited by dirtydangles, 07 December 2013 - 09:37 PM.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#14 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

There is no "code"

I've seen muggings from he 70's and 80's that make this incident look like kissing.  Thornton went over the line, but that's always happened in different eras as well.  You can't take that out of hockey even if you neuter players like Thornton.  Hockey players in bad moods sometimes go over the line.  

Orpik didn't help himself any by being Brooks Orpik, one of the most disliked defenders in the league.    

I'm not sure what your point is here.  That because Brooks Orpik is unlikeable he should be mugged for clean hits and seriously injured?  Or that this is ok because it would have been worse in the 70's and 80's? 

It's a joke.  They do it because they can.  Hit him with a HUGE suspension and all the sudden his "bad mood" doesn't result in a hospital trip for soemeone else.

Maybe you should have a look at the knee to the head he did. The eriksson hit was clean though - he was mauled for a different reason

Orpik didn't knee Marchand, Neal did.  Maybe you should look it up.

#15 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

Neal did it but then got off the ice. So he got the next best guy....orpik.

#16 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

I'm not sure what your point is here.  That because Brooks Orpik is unlikeable he should be mugged for clean hits and seriously injured?  Or that this is ok because it would have been worse in the 70's and 80's? 

It's a joke.  They do it because they can.  Hit him with a HUGE suspension and all the sudden his "bad mood" doesn't result in a hospital trip for soemeone else.

Orpik didn't knee Marchand, Neal did.  Maybe you should look it up.

Well your post was about what the code has become.  I'm just pointing out that enforcers haven't always followed the code in earlier eras.  Not sure why you think it has become worse than it was before.  

The code has never been anything more than a word with no real definition.     

#17 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

Wow. Some of the responses in this thread just...

*shakes head*

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#18 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,095 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

As someone who's a big proponent of fighting in hockey, I hate to see s*** like this because I know what it's eventually going to lead too. Stuff like this by Thornton, and John Scott attacking a skill player, is going to get fighting banned in hockey. This isn't the 70's or the 80's anymore, enforcers need to provide protection and keep teams honest. Not attack players who are considerably more talented then them, clean hit? Sure, please do. That's your role, dirt like this? You're going to cost yourself a job down the line. When even Don Cherry (pro fighting, pro Bruins) is visibly upset by it, you know it's not good.

#NOMOREKINDL

#19 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

Kneeing a guy in the head is clean? LOL.

There was nothing wrong with the hit on Eriksson. Why would orpik need to fight Thornton? If he wanted to fight anyone for a cheap shot it's Neal.

Gutless on thorntons part. Prick deserves at least 10.

#20 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

There is no "code"

I must disagree in that for a long time there absolutely was an established, albeit unwritten, code.  It died when the instigator rule came in.  Sure, back in the guy some guys were playing on the edge or over it, but they knew they would have to answer the bell for it later on.  That doesn't happen anymore.  That coupled with the increase in equipment protection has led to complete disrespect amongst a lot of the players.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011