• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheDetroitRedWings

Shawn Thornton attacks Orpik (leaves game on stretcher)

Rate this topic

Well there was something wrong with the hit. The defenseman left erikson out to get nailed. But remember players don't always see the hits as they happen and they are the result. Erikson was also coming back from an injury that's why Thornton went and challenged him.

Then Neal kneed marchand in the head which he deserves a huge suspension for. And Thornton was on the ice for this. He should've gone after neal but he immediently went off the ice so Thornton then grabbed orpik and he fell which I have no problem with. What I do have a problem is once orpik fell Thornton then hit him two or three times for sure(may of been more but hard to see with so many people grabbing him). And Thornton should get 5 games for it. But this would've been avoided if orpik would've fought him earlier or if Neal didn't go to bench.

Watch it again, Orpik didn't fall. Thornton tripped him with his foot, from behind, and began to punch him. It was dirty, cheap, and misdirected.

What a puke.

This makes me want to puke. We should roll this into the "retaliation" thread just so everybody can get a good look at what the "code" has become. Hit a guy clean, and some mongoloid comes along and cripples you just for the sake of being a tough guy. Ugh, how can people even pretend that there's some sort of honor in NHL fighting these days?

Assaulting someone on the ice is not "retaliation" it's assault plain and simple.

Guest DeGraa55

Thornton tripped Orpik - he put his leg behind to prevent Orpik from balancing. I think this is overstepping by Thornton considering Orpik didn't do anything outside the rules. Initially I thought he was the one who kneed Marchand - that is worth some retaliation - but that should be done to Neal. I'm actually wondering how serious the injury to Orpik was because he didn't look like he banged his head hard on the ice or got hit too bad from Thornton - i've seen far worse do the same damage. Anyways - we will see what Shanny does with this. I can see Neal getting away with nothing and claiming it was an accident.

Even though it wasn't an accident....but I sadly it wouldn't surprise me.

Also I feel like orpik shouldn't of even been hurt....idk. I think the only reason this is being discussed is because he left on stretcher which i don't know why he needed to.

So because Thornton couldn't wait to get to Neal he just goes after Orpik? And takes him down and punches him. Just because he wanted to stand up for his team he did it in the most moronic way imagineable.

If he's sending a message either challenge Neal when you can, or challenge their fighters and send it that way. There's no justification for what he did, and I'll be disappointed if it's not at least 10 games.

I actually agree with that. I was trying to make a statement to those who defend fighting because of "the code", which is a joke. I've never thought it meant much, and when things like this happen it's even more obvious how silly it is. I don't think it's become worse, I think that nobody even pretends anymore.

I will say that it's rare to see an enforcer grab a Joe Sakic or Nicklas Lidstrom type and start pounding away. That's about the only part of "the code" that I agree with existing, namely that an enforcer shouldn't randomly grab a star player and start punching him.

In this case, Orpik doesn't count as a star player. He's always played a chippy game. Thornton wouldn't have done that to Malkin or Crosby.

But alas, even star players have been forced into fights before. I remember Tinordi fighting Lidstrom a long time ago. Carcillo fighting Gaborik a few years ago also comes to mind. That type of thing is rare, though.

Also I feel like orpik shouldn't of even been hurt....idk. I think the only reason this is being discussed is because he left on stretcher which i don't know why he needed to.

I hate to bring this up, but in that sense, it reminds me of Bertuzzi. If Orpik gets up right away, this doesn't even make the nightly news.

I would argue that what Neal did was worse and more Dangerous. Since Marchand was on the ground already and in a highly compromised position. What Thornton did was just gutless, why go after Orpik he wasn't the one who kneed Marchand, did he not have the balls to go get Neal.

Oh, well you don't think he should be hurt so it's all good. Thank god it's as cut and dry as that. Do you have any idea how Orpik was actually injured, or were you just basing this assessment on your obviously profound medical knowledge? Thornton wasn't being a jackass, Orpik is just not tough enough. Right.

Keep blaming the victim dude, that's always a good call.

Guest DeGraa55

So because Thornton couldn't wait to get to Neal he just goes after Orpik? And takes him down and punches him. Just because he wanted to stand up for his team he did it in the most moronic way imagineable.

If he's sending a message either challenge Neal when you can, or challenge their fighters and send it that way. There's no justification for what he did, and I'll be disappointed if it's not at least 10 games.

You're missing the part of what orpik did. Thornton obviously didn't see the hit he did but saw the result and thought it was dirty. He was getting him because of that.

Guest DeGraa55

Oh, well you don't think he should be hurt so it's all good. Thank god it's as cut and dry as that. Do you have any idea how Orpik was actually injured, or were you just basing this assessment on your obviously profound medical knowledge? Thornton wasn't being a jackass, Orpik is just not tough enough. Right.

Keep blaming the victim dude, that's always a good call.

Or maybe you should use your god given eyeballs and watch the replay. It didn't look like it was serious enough for anyone to get injured. His head didn't hit the ice so its not that...his shoulder did so maybe its an injury related to that but why a stretcher? The 2-3 hits weren't that hard either....I'm sure orpik has been hit harder.

You're missing the part of what orpik did. Thornton obviously didn't see the hit he did but saw the result and thought it was dirty. He was getting him because of that.

So Thornton still looks like an ass for going after someone for a clean hit. Guy wanted to make a point and did it like a jackass. How anyone can try to justify or defend it is beyond me.

Or maybe you should use your god given eyeballs and watch the replay. It didn't look like it was serious enough for anyone to get injured. His head didn't hit the ice so its not that...his shoulder did so maybe its an injury related to that but why a stretcher? The 2-3 hits weren't that hard either....I'm sure orpik has been hit harder.

It's not always about how hard you get hit. You can get a full blown punch and be fine, but get a normal punch on the sweet spot and you're out cold.

Guest DeGraa55

So Thornton still looks like an ass for going after someone for a clean hit. Guy wanted to make a point and did it like a jackass. How anyone can try to justify or defend it is beyond me.

It's not always about how hard you get hit. You can get a full blown punch and be fine, but get a normal punch on the sweet spot and you're out cold.

Idk anyone who is defending him? I clearly said he should be suspended but I guess some people are too stupid to see that?

My god, I can't imagine the kind of mental gymnastics you have to go through to come to the conclusion that Thornton did nothing wrong and Orpik "shouldn't" be hurt. It's incredible. Forget about us taking your posts seriously, how do you even type this stuff with a straight face.

I completely agree I think Orpik got hurt because he wasn't prepared for it not unlike a blindside hit that's what's so dangerous about what Thornton did. But let's also through Neal in there, his knee was the definition of intent to injure, he just got lucky that Marchand wasn't carted off the ice too. Edited by wings87

Idk anyone who is defending him? I clearly said he should be suspended but I guess some people are too stupid to see that?

You're not defending the action but justifying why he did what he did. There's no justification for it, was more my point with what you've been saying.

I completely agree I think Orpik got hurt because he wasn't prepared for it not unlike a blindside hit that's what's so dangerous about what Thornton did. But let's also through Neal in there, his knee was the definition of intent to injure, he just got lucky that Marchand wasn't carted off the ice too.

Oh believe me Neal is a weak prick for what he did tonight too. Completely gutless by both

Guest DeGraa55

Orpik released and cleared to travel with team.

So why was he taken off on stretcher? ....

Just came home and after looking at this:

Neal is coward hopefully he gets 8 games but then again he is playing for team buttman do nothing will happen

Thornton will get around 10 games

Also get well soon Orpik that said if you are tough enough trying to blindside Ericsson you accept the challenge like a real man.

Sadly the soccer mums and dads are now having to incidents to talk about...

Edited by frankgrimes

There was nothing wrong with the hit on Eriksson. Why would orpik need to fight Thornton? If he wanted to fight anyone for a cheap shot it's Neal.

Gutless on thorntons part. Prick deserves at least 10.

Neal deserves 10 games too for his cowardly knee and run. Neal is just as much a piece of garbage as Thornton.

Orpik released and cleared to travel with team.

So why was he taken off on stretcher? ....

For show.... to make sure Thornton will get more games which in turn would actually make the Bruins better by having a guy out there who can actually play hockey

Thornton can play hockey and on top of it is tough as nails a perfect fourth liner plus brings tons of leadership.

Dunno if handing out larger fines, and longer suspensions will thwart certain violent acts at the NHL level...A bit off base, and maybe a poor analogy on my part, but we see people serving lifetime sentences in prison, and yet there's still people commiting crimes/murder.

As I've mentioned in the 'Retaliation' thread; maybe the only solution to ending these types of attacks is to remove checking from the game at the NHL level.

Remove hitting? Who the f*** wants to watch figure skating with hockey sticks? I ain't no swan!