Photo
- - - - -

Shawn Thornton attacks Orpik (leaves game on stretcher)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
165 replies to this topic

#41 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

Idk anyone who is defending him? I clearly said he should be suspended but I guess some people are too stupid to see that?

You're not defending the action but justifying why he did what he did. There's no justification for it, was more my point with what you've been saying.

I completely agree I think Orpik got hurt because he wasn't prepared for it not unlike a blindside hit that's what's so dangerous about what Thornton did. But let's also through Neal in there, his knee was the definition of intent to injure, he just got lucky that Marchand wasn't carted off the ice too.

Oh believe me Neal is a weak prick for what he did tonight too. Completely gutless by both

#42 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

Orpik released and cleared to travel with team.

So why was he taken off on stretcher? ....

#43 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

Precaution probably. With all the concussions in sports it's better to be safe than sorry to quote an old cliche.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#44 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

Just came home and after looking at this: Neal is coward hopefully he gets 8 games but then again he is playing for team buttman do nothing will happen Thornton will get around 10 games Also get well soon Orpik that said if you are tough enough trying to blindside Ericsson you accept the challenge like a real man. Sadly the soccer mums and dads are now having to incidents to talk about...

Edited by frankgrimes, 07 December 2013 - 10:57 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#45 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

There was nothing wrong with the hit on Eriksson. Why would orpik need to fight Thornton? If he wanted to fight anyone for a cheap shot it's Neal.

Gutless on thorntons part. Prick deserves at least 10.

Neal deserves 10 games too for his cowardly knee and run. Neal is just as much a piece of garbage as Thornton.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#46 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

Hate both of them. Hopefully each are kicked out of the league. As for Orpik, meh... seen Kronwall do similar things (Havlat) and maybe he got off light with no Blackhawks doing what Thornton did. 

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#47 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

For show.... to make sure Thornton will get more games which in turn would actually make the Bruins better by having a guy out there who can actually play hockey

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#48 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

Neal deserves 10 games too for his cowardly knee and run. Neal is just as much a piece of garbage as Thornton.

I agree entirely.

#49 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

I've seen worse muggings before in hockey.  The result is what made it look so bad.  I don't think Thornton was trying to end Orpik's career or else he would have dropped his gloves and decked him with a real swinging punch.

I have no problem with him being suspended, though.  It was a cheap move.   

Orpik is a D-bag, though.  There's a lot of players in the league that would like to do that to him.     

Forgive my ignorance...When did Orpik become a hated guy?

Just curious since I've never heard/read anything 'bad' about him.

This makes me want to puke.  We should roll this into the "retaliation" thread just so everybody can get a good look at what the "code" has become.  Hit a guy clean, and some mongoloid comes along and cripples you just for the sake of being a tough guy.  Ugh, how can people even pretend that there's some sort of honor in NHL fighting these days?

As GMR already pointed out - this is nothing new to hockey - just that we don't see it as often in todays game.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#50 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

For show.... to make sure Thornton will get more games which in turn would actually make the Bruins better by having a guy out there who can actually play hockey

Thornton can play hockey and on top of it is tough as nails a perfect fourth liner plus brings tons of leadership.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#51 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

Hit him with a HUGE suspension and all the sudden his "bad mood" doesn't result in a hospital trip for soemeone else.

Dunno if handing out larger fines, and longer suspensions will thwart certain violent acts at the NHL level...A bit off base, and maybe a poor analogy on my part, but we see people serving lifetime sentences in prison, and yet there's still people commiting crimes/murder.

As I've mentioned in the 'Retaliation' thread; maybe the only solution to ending these types of attacks is to remove checking from the game at the NHL level.

#52 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:12 PM

Dunno if handing out larger fines, and longer suspensions will thwart certain violent acts at the NHL level...A bit off base, and maybe a poor analogy on my part, but we see people serving lifetime sentences in prison, and yet there's still people commiting crimes/murder.

As I've mentioned in the 'Retaliation' thread; maybe the only solution to ending these types of attacks is to remove checking from the game at the NHL level.

Remove hitting? Who the f*** wants to watch figure skating with hockey sticks? I ain't no swan!

#53 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

As someone who's a big proponent of fighting in hockey, I hate to see s*** like this because I know what it's eventually going to lead too. Stuff like this by Thornton, and John Scott attacking a skill player, is going to get fighting banned in hockey. This isn't the 70's or the 80's anymore, enforcers need to provide protection and keep teams honest. Not attack players who are considerably more talented then them, clean hit? Sure, please do. That's your role, dirt like this? You're going to cost yourself a job down the line. When even Don Cherry (pro fighting, pro Bruins) is visibly upset by it, you know it's not good.

:clap:

Remove hitting? Who the f*** wants to watch figure skating with hockey sticks? I ain't no swan!

Oh - don't get me wrong...I love the physical aspect of NHL hockey, and yes - I also enjoy a few good scraps in every game.

Now with that being said...If the reaction around the league is that of a little girl dropping her lollipop in the toilet - how can you deter a player from these sorts of cheap shots?

#54 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

Forgive my ignorance...When did Orpik become a hated guy?

Just curious since I've never heard/read anything 'bad' about him.

As GMR already pointed out - this is nothing new to hockey - just that we don't see it as often in todays game.

Orpik has been called out before for dirty hits.

Also, he's not shy about getting into scrums and chirping with players, but he rarely fights.  So yes, he's a disliked player by many.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#55 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

@HackswithHaggs: Shawn Thornton in near tears after game: "I made a mistake. I can't say I'm sorry enough times. That's all I can say right now" #BruinsTalk

"I made a mistake and slew footed a guy and then punched his face a few times"

Really? Both Thornton and Neal were seriously out of line, and I hope they get anally penetrated with fines and suspensions.

And just an honest question to those questioning why Orpik was so hurt--have you ever been clipped on the sweet spot? It's instant lights out, which would understandably lead to precautionary measures involving a stretcher regardless of whether or not there were long lasting effects from the hit.

Let's not blame the victims here. There were bulls*** moves on both sides, both of which should be rightly punished. No excuses.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#56 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

Orpik has been called out before for dirty hits.

Also, he's not shy about getting into scrums and chirping with players, but he rarely fights.  So yes, he's a disliked player by many.  

Thanks for the info.

EDIT - I may be a jerk for saying this, but is anyone else looking forward to their remaining games against each other?

Edited by F.Michael, 07 December 2013 - 11:31 PM.

#57 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

As someone who's a big proponent of fighting in hockey, I hate to see s*** like this because I know what it's eventually going to lead too. Stuff like this by Thornton, and John Scott attacking a skill player, is going to get fighting banned in hockey. This isn't the 70's or the 80's anymore, enforcers need to provide protection and keep teams honest. Not attack players who are considerably more talented then them, clean hit? Sure, please do. That's your role, dirt like this? You're going to cost yourself a job down the line. When even Don Cherry (pro fighting, pro Bruins) is visibly upset by it, you know it's not good.

My thoughts exactly.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#58 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for the info.

EDIT - I may be a jerk for saying this, but is anyone else looking forward to their remaining games against each other?

They're always chippy games.  I wish our games against the Panthers were like that.   ;)

Don't forget, these are the teams involved in the Cooke/Savard incident, and its aftermath, including Thornton going after Cooke.  Lot of history there.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#59 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

@NHLPlayerSafety: Details of Neal hearing: http://t.co/vdH3yfgDnl

@NHLPlayerSafety: Details of Thornton hearing: http://t.co/bzXwMaX4xD

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#60 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:10 AM

@HackswithHaggs: Shawn Thornton in near tears after game: "I made a mistake. I can't say I'm sorry enough times. That's all I can say right now" #BruinsTalk

"I made a mistake and slew footed a guy and then punched his face a few times"

Really? Both Thornton and Neal were seriously out of line, and I hope they get anally penetrated with fines and suspensions.

And just an honest question to those questioning why Orpik was so hurt--have you ever been clipped on the sweet spot? It's instant lights out, which would understandably lead to precautionary measures involving a stretcher regardless of whether or not there were long lasting effects from the hit.

Let's not blame the victims here. There were bulls*** moves on both sides, both of which should be rightly punished. No excuses.

Love how the guy who perpetrated the assault is repentant yet some posters here disagree with him.