• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWang

The Nyquist/Tatar Thread

Rate this topic

Recenty theres been alot of articles coming out in the wake of Nyquist and Tatar's offensive explosion. Figured there should be a place to post said articles and discuss them without clogging up other threads and getting off topic.

Heres an article i just found claiming the kids could turn into the new "Euro twins".

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1881306-will-gustav-nyquist-and-tomas-tatar-become-franchise-cornerstones

And heres another our good friend Ansar Khan over at Mlive just published today.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/12/dynamic_duo_of_tomas_tatar_gus.html

Fun article. For sure, Tatar's compete level is so aggressive as to be almost comical. I like the way the author phrased that. He is always on the attack and never gives up on a play and it's what I love about him. He's not a perfectly well-rounded player but his hyper-aggression makes up for it in my mind.

I don't think we can say they're the next Euro-twins, but they're already what we always hoped Hudler and Flip would one day become.

Guest mjtm77

Fun article. For sure, Tatar's compete level is so aggressive as to be almost comical. I like the way the author phrased that. He is always on the attack and never gives up on a play and it's what I love about him. He's not a perfectly well-rounded player but his hyper-aggression makes up for it in my mind.

I don't think we can say they're the next Euro-twins, but they're already what we always hoped Hudler and Flip would one day become. [/quote

Def not already up to hudler and filp level. They do have potential to pass them substantially and become dangerous secondary scorers. But aren't there yet. Waay to soon IMO

I think in longer terms Nyquist will have more value and become a better player. No discredit to Tatar, he will be an excellent 3rd liner that can fill in for the 2nd line when called upon but I don't really see him becoming much more than a 40-50 point per season player. Nyquist I think when he reaches his prime is capable of a few 60+ point seasons, hopefully more. I hope they both stick around for a while and get the proper ice time to live up to their true potential, if there's one thing Detroit excels at it's drafting and I have a lot of faith in the youth in the Wings system.

I definitely see them both surpassing Fil/Hudler just based on their compete level and how well theyre doing as rookies. With more experience, a full season of starts, and steady top 6 playing time they'll only improve.

With top minutes next year i see them both capable of producing 50-60+ point seasons and becoming mainstays on our top 6. We could use all the speed and tenacity we can get with these "veterans" taking up space.

Very deserving and well thought out articles but hyping them up ad the euro twins if the future is setting the bar to high. Personally, I would be happy if both could become steady contributors on the top 6. Can't wait till they are starting to bulk up.

Like others I had to laugh hard, when Kenny's favoritism of veterans was mentioned because its more than true. Lets hope that Gustav N and Thomas T. can keep their compete level up for a long time, because these two are a better support cast than the so called veterans.

I think in longer terms Nyquist will have more value and become a better player.

I think it's a coin flip at this point. Nyquist is the more rounded player, but I think his edge over Tatar has a lot to do with the time he spent with the Wings last season, specifically in the playoffs. Tatar hasn't had that experience yet.

Personally, I see them becoming somewhat different kinds of players. Nyquist seems like more of a playmaker, Tatar seems like more of a goal-scorer. But everything's up in the air with kids, which is a big reason why they're so exciting.

Edited by Dabura

I think it's a coin flip at this point. Nyquist is the more rounded player, but I think his edge over Tatar has a lot to do with the time he spent with the Wings last season, specifically in the playoffs. Tatar hasn't had that experience yet.

Personally, I see them becoming somewhat different kinds of players. Nyquist seems like more of a playmaker, Tatar seems like more of a goal-scorer. But everything's up in the air with kids, which is a big reason why they're so exciting.

I agree entirely with everything you said, especially about the players theyll become. You can tell tatar loves to score (more than any player ive ever seen) he also has a shoot first mentality and the quick shot to match. Definite pure goal scorer characteristics. Nyquist on the other hand has great defense and also is a pass first kindof guy, you can tell hes learning alot from pasha.

What I like about Tatar (and I'm not saying I prefer one over the other. I honestly don't) is that he's getting the job done with bottom-six minutes and line mates. Which I guess kinda goes both ways, i.e. he's also facing lesser opposition. But the guy really has a nose for the back of the net, which is great to see. Get him on a line with Datsyuk and there will be fireworks.

What I like about Tatar (and I'm not saying I prefer one over the other. I honestly don't) is that he's getting the job done with bottom-six minutes and line mates. Which I guess kinda goes both ways, i.e. he's also facing lesser opposition. But the guy really has a nose for the back of the net, which is great to see. Get him on a line with Datsyuk and there will be fireworks.

That PP goal he had off the faceoff the other night was a very stamkos/ovie way to score and thats what it reminded me of. Pure scoring. Putting him with pasha would undoubtedly be a sight to see if babs ever puts them together.

Datsyuk rookie season (23y/o): 70GP, 11G 24A 35Pts.

Zetterberg rookie season (22y/o): 79GP, 22G 22A 44Pts.

Nyquist rookie season (24y/o): On pace for 60GP 27G 20A 47Pts

Tatar rookie season (23y/o): On pace for 74GP 19G 23A 42Pts

Obviously these on pace stats are merely projections but look at how strikingly close the kids numbers are to Dats/Z.

In the early scoutings of Datsyuk from 2000, he was labeled by scouts as a "potential 2nd line center". Look where he ended up 13 years later? One of the best to ever play the game.

The point I'm trying to make here is, not only is it somewhat possible that Nyquist and Tatar become the next Eurotwins. If stats and stats alone are any indication, its highly probable.

Especially given the fact that the kids get to learn from and play with Z/Dats just as they got to play with Hull,Shanny,Yzerman Etc.

Datsyuk rookie season (23y/o): 70GP, 11G 24A 35Pts.

Zetterberg rookie season (22y/o): 79GP, 22G 22A 44Pts.

Nyquist rookie season (24y/o): On pace for 60GP 27G 20A 47Pts

Tatar rookie season (23y/o): On pace for 74GP 19G 23A 42Pts

Obviously these on pace stats are merely projections but look at how strikingly close the kids numbers are to Dats/Z.

In the early scoutings of Datsyuk from 2000, he was labeled by scouts as a "potential 2nd line center". Look where he ended up 13 years later? One of the best to ever play the game.

The point I'm trying to make here is, not only is it somewhat possible that Nyquist and Tatar become the next Eurotwins. If stats and stats alone are any indication, its highly probable.

Especially given the fact that the kids get to learn from and play with Z/Dats just as they got to play with Hull,Shanny,Yzerman Etc.

I love the optimism but I think you know this comparison is a little far fetched. lol

Prorating a player's first 9 games over a full season is a little silly.

Regardless I think it will be hugely beneficial for them to learn from Datsyuk/Zetterberg.

I love the optimism but I think you know this comparison is a little far fetched. lol

Prorating a player's first 9 games over a full season is a little silly.

Regardless I think it will be hugely beneficial for them to learn from Datsyuk/Zetterberg.

I absolutely know its far fetched but in response to the article i posted i just figured itd give a little more insight as to why these claims may have been made.

Hey it was my first time doing a stats post, i was proud of myself okay?! But yes, Im defintely one of the more optimistic around here in regards to the youngins.

Im just excited about our team for the first time in a while, getting to see players that arent 40 years old and useless gets me all warm n fuzzy inside.

Guest DeGraa55

Goose might live up to be almost as good as z. But Tatar will never be as good defensively as what DAT is. But I think Tatar is more offensive minded....which BTW WE NEED!