• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

Still don't get Hudler/Tatar comparison.OK they are about same size and height,but Tatar is much closer to Brad Marchand's style(minus antics) than to happy Hudler in my opinion.

#22 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

Datsyuk rookie season (23y/o): 70GP, 11G 24A 35Pts.
Zetterberg rookie season (22y/o): 79GP, 22G 22A 44Pts.

Nyquist rookie season (24y/o): On pace for 60GP 27G 20A 47Pts
Tatar rookie season (23y/o): On pace for 74GP 19G 23A 42Pts

Obviously these on pace stats are merely projections but look at how strikingly close the kids numbers are to Dats/Z.

In the early scoutings of Datsyuk from 2000, he was labeled by scouts as a "potential 2nd line center". Look where he ended up 13 years later? One of the best to ever play the game.

The point I'm trying to make here is, not only is it somewhat possible that Nyquist and Tatar become the next Eurotwins. If stats and stats alone are any indication, its highly probable.

Especially given the fact that the kids get to learn from and play with Z/Dats just as they got to play with Hull,Shanny,Yzerman Etc.

I love the optimism but I think you know this comparison is a little far fetched. lol

Prorating a player's first 9 games over a full season is a little silly.

Regardless I think it will be hugely beneficial for them to learn from Datsyuk/Zetterberg.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#23 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

I love the optimism but I think you know this comparison is a little far fetched. lol

Prorating a player's first 9 games over a full season is a little silly.

Regardless I think it will be hugely beneficial for them to learn from Datsyuk/Zetterberg.

I absolutely know its far fetched but in response to the article i posted i just figured itd give a little more insight as to why these claims may have been made.

Hey it was my first time doing a stats post, i was proud of myself okay?! But yes, Im defintely one of the more optimistic around here in regards to the youngins.
Im just excited about our team for the first time in a while, getting to see players that arent 40 years old and useless gets me all warm n fuzzy inside.

#24 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

Goose might live up to be almost as good as z. But Tatar will never be as good defensively as what DAT is. But I think Tatar is more offensive minded....which BTW WE NEED!

#25 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

If they're fun to watch, which they are, then I feel pretty confident that they'll stick with this team for a long time.

#26 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

I cant believe i am doing a line thread.....but.......Just for a game....ONE game, I wish Babs would give up the idea that he needs size or grit with scoring and go full throttle with:

Pasha Tatar Alfie
Gus Hank and Franzen

I honestly think Tatar and Dats would be amazing together and already the Swedish meatball line really works. Gus has lit a fire under the Mules ass.
A girl can dream, right?
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!

#27 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

I cant believe i am doing a line thread.....but.......Just for a game....ONE game, I wish Babs would give up the idea that he needs size or grit with scoring and go full throttle with:
Pasha Tatar Alfie
Gus Hank and Franzen
I honestly think Tatar and Dats would be amazing together and already the Swedish meatball line really works. Gus has lit a fire under the Mules ass.
A girl can dream, right?

I'd rather see Bert or Abby instead of Alfie but otherwise I said the same thing in the line thread.

#28 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

Tatar-Datsyuk-Alfie could work despite size issues. Datsyuk and Alfredsson would more than compensate for any defensive lapses by Tatar, and it would score like crazy. Plus, Datsyuk and Alfressson never get pushed around, and Tatar never gives up.

While "on pace" mean nothing, is it so unrealistic to think thay both of them could hit 35 points this year?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#29 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

Tatar-Datsyuk-Alfie could work despite size issues. Datsyuk and Alfredsson would more than compensate for any defensive lapses by Tatar, and it would score like crazy. Plus, Datsyuk and Alfressson never get pushed around, and Tatar never gives up.

While "on pace" mean nothing, is it so unrealistic to think thay both of them could hit 35 points this year?

I think both nyquist and tatar will reach 35 points, theyll only get more pp time and ice time as the season progresses. Theyve proven themseles to babs n kenny now are mainstays.

#30 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

I was home to Metro Detroit for the holidays in Dec '02 or possibly '03 and people were calling in to the radio complaining of having no young talent to replace Stevie Y, Shanny, etc.

The reason the moment was so memorable is because a female caller actually ragged on young little Pavel Datsyuk and referred to him as "Ducksoup".

Point is, I guess, even The Magical Pavel Datsyuk had Detroit fans that were for whatever reason quite unimpressed when he was just starting out with the team.

It's hard to tell just how good these guys can be. We do know they are winners.

#31 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

While I do not think either will ever be stars, they are young, fast, bring energy, and both should have been in the lineup every game we play this year. That is the only way to ever truly find out.

#32 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

This line tonight has brought it. They have dominated when they have been out there. I love watching these young guns.....reenergizes this team and super fun hockey to watch!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!

#33 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

To add to the anecdote about the caller and Datsyuk, I wasn't all that impressed with Zetterberg the first couple of years. I liked him but didn't fully appreciate his skills. And Datsyuk wasn't really loved until 2007 or so. When he shed his disappearing in the playoffs reputation.

So yeah, even in their mid-20s players can surprise you. Let's add Franzen to the list.

My big bold prediction is that Nyquist will be the next captain.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#34 MileHighWingsGuy

MileHighWingsGuy

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

Still can't believe a few weeks ago guys were telling me next year would be their year and to give them time. So clear these guys should have been starting from game 1.

RedWing fan behind enemy lines

#35 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:30 AM

To add to the anecdote about the caller and Datsyuk, I wasn't all that impressed with Zetterberg the first couple of years. I liked him but didn't fully appreciate his skills. And Datsyuk wasn't really loved until 2007 or so. When he shed his disappearing in the playoffs reputation.
So yeah, even in their mid-20s players can surprise you. Let's add Franzen to the list.

I may be in the minority here but I think Helm or Danny K will be the next captain.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#36 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:24 AM

Still can't believe a few weeks ago guys were telling me next year would be their year and to give them time. So clear these guys should have been starting from game 1.

Yep. I got ragged on for suggesting a NyQ Helm Tats line.

#37 nawein

nawein

Rookie

• Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:18 AM

I would guess Dekeyser with Nyquist as an assistant.

#38 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

GUYS, GUYS! I just met Tomas Tatar in downtown royal oak. My girlfriend n I were walking and we walked by him and a buddy speaking slovakian to each other. I called out his name n was like o s*** its you, lemme shake your hand. I shook his hand n told him hes been playin great lately and to keep scoring. He smile a huge smile and thanked me and intoduced himself and his buddy. Seemed genuinely appreciative of my compliments. Nice guy. Night made!

#39 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

GUYS, GUYS! I just met Tomas Tatar in downtown royal oak. My girlfriend n I were walking and we walked by him and a buddy speaking slovakian to each other. I called out his name n was like o s*** its you, lemme shake your hand. I shook his hand n told him hes been playin great lately and to keep scoring. He smile a huge smile and thanked me and intoduced himself and his buddy. Seemed genuinely appreciative of my compliments. Nice guy. Night made!

Nice, sounds awesome.Now did you give him his orders to take out Cleary ?

02_notcomplicated_Kronwalled55_zpsc7d665

#40 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Nice, sounds awesome.Now did you give him his orders to take out Cleary ?

Shhhh...not to be discussed in the open...lets just say ol Dano wont be skating in the playoffs...