• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

All I know is if Holland re-signs Bert, Sammy or Cleary I am done lol.

#22 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

I don't get the excitement of the cap increasing so drastically over the next couple seasons. We would definitely benefit much more with a similar cap to the current $64.3 mil, maybe an increase of 2-3 mil to 66-67 mil. Look at our list of UFA's we can potentially get rid of after this season.

Alfredsson - $5.5 mil

Samuelsson - $3 mil

Bertuzzi - $2.075 mil

Cleary - $1.75 mil

Eaves - $1.2 mil

Quincey - $3.775 mil

Gustavsson - $1.5 mil

A grand total of $18.8 mil "potentially" coming off the books. Chances are we will resign 2 or 3 of them, I'm thinking Alfredsson at a slightly lower cap hit (approx. $4.5 mil) and Gustavsson at a slightly higher cap hit (approx. $2.25mil). With the raises that we've given / will give to players like Datsyuk, Ericsson, Tatar (approx. $1.25 mil) and DeKeyser (approx. $3.25 mil) we still have enough cap space to sign a few of our RFA's, Sheahan (approx. $1 mil), Ferraro (approx. $0.9 mil), Glendenning (approx. $0.75 mil), and Almquist (approx. $0.9 mil).

I think a lineup something like this is an improvement over this years roster. Just my opinion...

FORWARDS
Tomas Tatar ($1.250m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.500m)
Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Landon Ferraro ($0.900m) / Riley Sheahan ($1.000m)
Luke Glendening ($0.750m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)
Danny DeKeyser ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Adam Almquist ($0.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($2.250m)

BURIED
Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,849,545; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $450,455

I'm good with this. Only thing is you can use the buyout on tootoo if you aren't using it elsewhere. 

I'd be a huge proponent of trading our first this year for a 1st next year. With those 2 firsts and other assets we could move right up in the draft and get that 1C we need so desperately in the system. We will be seeing CRAZY prices in UFA and its better just to build from within so we don't get shafted by the cap again and have kids in GR that have earned a spot but can't crack the roster due to lack of cap/roster space.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#23 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

All I know is if Holland re-signs Bert, Sammy or Cleary I am done lol.

In order to create room for the young and coming players those 3 + Alfie need to be gone.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#24 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

This CBA term is 10 years with an opt out by either side after 8 years, so there can't be one before then. 

Assuming Bettman is still commissioner the next NHL lockout will be in 8 years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the owners lock the players out and demand that the CBA be re-opened before the opt out date.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#25 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

I'd rather not lose Alfredsson for some rookie who may or may not be good. You can't go too young, and some of those players won't make the NHL full-time (Ferraro).

I'd like to bring up some young D (Almqvist) and another forwars, but we're going to be a young team as it is. Trade a few for a player in his prime maybe. We seem to have more great prospects than can feasibly make the team without making us Edmonton.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#26 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

I think we're going to struggle to re-sign Monster.  As someone else pointed out Mrazek is only waiver exempt for one more season, so we're unlikely to offer Monster more than 1 year.  With the way he's played this year, someone is bound to offer him a multi-year deal - either a team with really sucky goaltending, or a contender looking for a realgud backup.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#27 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

I think we're going to struggle to re-sign Monster.  As someone else pointed out Mrazek is only waiver exempt for one more season, so we're unlikely to offer Monster more than 1 year.  With the way he's played this year, someone is bound to offer him a multi-year deal - either a team with really sucky goaltending, or a contender looking for a realgud backup.

Assuming that Gus continues his strong play, and even though I'm still a big fan of Howard, I would argue that the best way for the Wings to Upgrade in the off-season would be to trade Jimmy for a top D or a big scorer to pair with Datsyuk.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#28 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

Exactly. Even when monster was coming off bad times in Toronto, he still got a two year deal from Kenny. The way I see it, Holland has three options:

1. Sign a stop-gap backup for 1 year. Overpay if you must. Might be tough to find someone that will sign for one year.

2. Make Mrazek your backup next year. Not Holland's style. But this is the best, headache free option

3. Do something crazy like re-sign Gustavsson for 2-3 years or another UFA for 2-3 years, and create an epic problem when Mrazek is out of waiver options. Holland will probably do this, and he'll pay for it in less than 2 years.

Edited by rick zombo, 10 December 2013 - 01:01 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#29 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the owners lock the players out and demand that the CBA be re-opened before the opt out date.

No. The cba goes 8 years, then the option for either side is the last 2 years.

The Agreement is set to remain in effect until September 15, 2022, with both the NHL and the NHLPA having the right to terminate the Agreement after eight years

http://www.nhlpa.com...ining-agreement

Edited by Euro_Twins, 10 December 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#30 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

No. The cba goes 8 years, then the option for either side is the last 2 years.

The Agreement is set to remain in effect until September 15, 2022, with both the NHL and the NHLPA having the right to terminate the Agreement after eight years

http://www.nhlpa.com...ining-agreement

Ok, so I guess within the next 5 years we should be approaching the 100 million dollar mark. Which begs the question what was the point of the Lock Out if the salary cap keeps going up. 

#31 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,913 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

Ok, so I guess within the next 5 years we should be approaching the 100 million dollar mark. Which begs the question what was the point of the Lock Out if the salary cap keeps going up.

Apparently so Bettman can burden the league with more unprofitable franchises:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 19m
Bettman says lots of expressions of interest in expansion. NHL is willing to listen. However, decision to expand hasn't been made

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 18m
Bettman says franchises have never been stronger. Says everything in due course if due course is going to happen. Very much undecided.

It's funny how when headed into a lockout most of the franchises are near the brink of disaster.  Once they've negotiated the cap down, the franchises are stronger than ever.  Nevermind that Phoenix thing...

#32 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

What's the over/under we'll use this new cap room to resign our dead weight... ala Quincey, Cleary, Sammy, Bert, etc

This is what worries me the most. I don't want to see guys like Sheahan, Ferraro and/or Callahan left out because the team has extra cap space for veterans.

I can really see Holland keeping Quincey over Lashoff, and using Almquist as the #7 guy. This would offend me a lot less than bringing back Sammy and Cleary, but I'd still prefer for Quincey to be done with the team. It's not like Lashoff is standing out, but with guys like Ouellet, Sproul, Backman and Marchenko on the way, I don't see the point in hanging onto Q.

#33 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

Apparently so Bettman can burden the league with more unprofitable franchises:
 Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 19m
Bettman says lots of expressions of interest in expansion. NHL is willing to listen. However, decision to expand hasn't been made
 Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 18m
Bettman says franchises have never been stronger. Says everything in due course if due course is going to happen. Very much undecided.

It's funny how when headed into a lockout most of the franchises are near the brink of disaster.  Once they've negotiated the cap down, the franchises are stronger than ever.  Nevermind that Phoenix thing...

The lock out was a joke to begin with, but adding expansion teams will dilute the talent pool and create financial problems in the future. Maybe before considering expansion the NHL should consider relocating some of their other teams, the Panthers come to mind.

What NHL owners did last year with the lock out was nothing more than a ploy to cut salaries, which will again go up and will cause owners to ***** and moan until the next CBA. I really believe that the players association should have called the Owners on their BS and held out and not signed the new CBA mid-season and instead canceled the entire season and let the owners take the blame and bad publicity.

#34 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

We still have a compliance buyout left...

Weiss?

#35 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

I'm probably in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind Heatley on a one year.

#36 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

We still have a compliance buyout left...

Weiss?

I'm fairly certain it cannot be used on Weiss, as he was signed this past off-season. Someone mentioned it in another thread.

#37 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

Heatley is making 7,5 annually right now, so let's say he takes a discount and signs a one year deal for around 4 - 5 million I still wouldn't take that guy, he is playing on the fourth line for the Minnesotta wild right now. If he really wants to stay in the NHL, the guy might have to pull of a Raymond thing, sign for almost league minimum and show your worth.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#38 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,913 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

Admittedly I haven't seen much of him this year, but from everything I've heard he's so slow he's practically moving backwards.  Maybe he could be a reclamation project if he found the desire to be good again, but it's a serious gamble.

#39 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

Admittedly I haven't seen much of him this year, but from everything I've heard he's so slow he's practically moving backwards.  Maybe he could be a reclamation project if he found the desire to be good again, but it's a serious gamble.

his careers gone so down since the dan snyder death, dont think he will ever recover

#40 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:01 AM

his careers gone so down since the dan snyder death, dont think he will ever recover

Huh?  His best years were all after that tragedy.  He hadn't even cracked 90 points before and put up back to back 100 point seasons after the incident.

His career highlights were in Ottawa.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”