• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

Yzerman commits to Alumni Game roster!

Rate this topic

This might be jumping the gun, but I just got an official text from the DRW that says:

"Stevie Y: BACK IN THE D! The Captain will play in the 2013 Alumni Showdown 12/31 @ Comerica Park joining Lidstrom, Chelios, Shanahan."

And it was just added to the RW official site.

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today announced that former captain Steve Yzerman has committed to the team’s alumni roster for the 2013 Maple Leafs vs. Red Wings Alumni Showdown™ on Tuesday, Dec. 31, at Comerica Park as part of the 2013 SiriusXM Hockeytown Winter Festival™.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=695102&navid=DL|DET|home

And the official Alumni Rosters:

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=81853

Edited by rrasco

I know this won't be popular, and I'm really happy that he's going to play, but it sort of burns my ass that it was such a begrudging acceptance. If the game had been played last year like it was supposed to, we'd have never seen him in the Winged Wheel again.

Good for him finally coming around, but this is one fan who would have liked to see it happen differently. When you play for one team your whole career and captain them to 3 Stanley Cups, occasionally you're going to be asked to do things like this, even if you're another team's GM. Ya know? Because it's hockey and we sort of take tradition seriously in this game.

Does anybody know if these alumni games will be broadcast outside of the michigan area? Perhaps online(not asking for any links to streams or anything like that). There are plenty of wings fans that don't get FSD on our tv's and need center ice or gamecenter that will be very disappointed if we can't watch our hero's one last time.

I wonder how much Stevie will work on his skating before the game?

Very excited. kipwinger makes valid points, some that I agree with, but damn I'm just excited that Yzerman, Lidstrom, Fedorov and Shanahan will be on the ice again together. Probably more excited for the Alumni games then the actual Winter Classic.

Does anybody know if these alumni games will be broadcast outside of the michigan area? Perhaps online(not asking for any links to streams or anything like that). There are plenty of wings fans that don't get FSD on our tv's and need center ice or gamecenter that will be very disappointed if we can't watch our hero's one last time.

I wonder how much Stevie will work on his skating before the game?

This many HOFers on the same ice and NBC or NBCSports doesn't broadcast it, then something is wrong.

If it's not picked up nationally, then FSD will definitely carry it. Hell, they aired the Red and White scrimmage during last year's abbreviated training camp. One way or another this will be on tv, and if you've got an internet connection you'll be able to see it.

Guest Crymson

This many HOFers on the same ice and NBC or NBCSports doesn't broadcast it, then something is wrong.

The alumni games will be nationally broadcast.

When the topic came up a while back, I said that I would respect his decision if he chose not to play (at the time he sounded uninterested). He has given us enough and I completely understand that his knees are a wreck...

That being said: HOLY s***!!! STEVIE Y!! GIVING US MORE THAN WE COULD EVER HOPE FOR!! I LOVE YOU, MAN!

Edited by vladdy16
PLEASE DON'T CIRCUMVENT THE CURSE FILTER

I know this won't be popular, and I'm really happy that he's going to play, but it sort of burns my ass that it was such a begrudging acceptance. If the game had been played last year like it was supposed to, we'd have never seen him in the Winged Wheel again.

Good for him finally coming around, but this is one fan who would have liked to see it happen differently. When you play for one team your whole career and captain them to 3 Stanley Cups, occasionally you're going to be asked to do things like this, even if you're another team's GM. Ya know? Because it's hockey and we sort of take tradition seriously in this game.

I'm guessing he had his reasons, whether it was something with scheduling or maybe he just wanted to see if he could even skate well enough not to embarrass himself out there.

I don't really know what his caginess was about, but based on how he behaved his whole career here in Detroit I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he had a good reason.