• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

Yzerman commits to Alumni Game roster!

Rate this topic

I can't really put to words how awesome this is. Stevie Y is my all time favorite and it'll be pretty damn amazing to see him play one last time. I grew up idolizing this guy and this team. I'm gonna be honest and say that i'm more excited for the alumni game than the actual winter classic. I am curious though. I live in California, not exactly a big carrier of FSD. Does anyone know how else to watch this game?

The alumni games will be nationally broadcast.

Source?

I have not seen anything mentioned of their being national coverage for anything other than the WC game.

DETROIT – Fox Sports Detroit will televise seven games during the week leading up to the Jan. 1 Winter Classic between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor.

The coverage will begin Dec. 27 with the opening round of the Great Lakes Invitational, which will pit Michigan State against Michigan Tech while Western Michigan plays the University of Michigan.

The GLI consolation game will be televised Dec. 28 and the championship game will be streamed live on FoxSportsDetroit.com before airing on tape delay that night on FSD.

The American Hockey League game Dec. 30 between the Toronto Marlies and Grand Rapids Griffins will also be televised before the coverage wraps up on New Year's Eve with the two Alumni Showdown games featuring former stars who played for the Red Wings and Maple Leafs.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/11/fox_sports_to_air_seven_games.html

I'm guessing he had his reasons, whether it was something with scheduling or maybe he just wanted to see if he could even skate well enough not to embarrass himself out there.

I don't really know what his caginess was about, but based on how he behaved his whole career here in Detroit I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he had a good reason.

I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea whatsoever why he wasn't going to play. I don't know. And I hadn't ever really given it much thought until that interview a few weeks ago when we played Tampa and he said "I’ve had skates on three times (since his retirement) to do something minor," Yzerman said. “I’ve kind of moved on. I don’t have time to skate, and I don’t have a real desire to do it.” I was irritated because if it came down to desire (or lack thereof) I think it would be a weak move to deprive fans of the experience because whether he likes it or not, pretty much every Wings fan idolizes him.

But like I said, I don't know the reason. I was basing my views pretty much entirely off that interview.

Please someone post the Carlton dancing gif I feel it is the only thing that truly encompasses my joy but alas I am on mobile

tumblr_lqg6st6PDb1qlq6jbo1_500.gif

If I knew how to post videos again on here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS1cLOIxsQ8

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

I'm guessing he had his reasons, whether it was something with scheduling or maybe he just wanted to see if he could even skate well enough not to embarrass himself out there.

I don't really know what his caginess was about, but based on how he behaved his whole career here in Detroit I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he had a good reason..

My jaded ass thinks it's the Wings who delayed the announcement. I suspect they wanted to wait to see how ticket sales were doing. This announcement coming a few weeks before the game when it's not sold out yet is the teeniest bit suspicious. But I don't give a s***!!

HOT FREAKIN' DAMN!! :yahoo:

I understand some of the mixed feelings, considering his response is a bit... underwhelming.

It could have to do with a number of things - his skating ability, wish to remain "professional" and loyal to Tampa, lack of passion for on-ice aspects of the game now, etc. Regardless, I'm more than happy he's going to be there in some capacity. It wouldn't be the same without him.

I was just trying to imagine what these guy would have been like if they were all playing in their primes.

I was also wondering what the salary would be for this game if they were payed in modern dollars based on the pay from their highest years.

I think I'll just go back to smiling.

I can see why Stevie was hesitant to commit given his knees and other commitments. It's easier to change a "maybe" to a "yes" than to a "no".

I was just trying to imagine what these guy would have been like if they were all playing in their primes.

I was also wondering what the salary would be for this game if they were payed in modern dollars based on the pay from their highest years.

I think I'll just go back to smiling.

I can see why Stevie was hesitant to commit given his knees and other commitments. It's easier to change a "maybe" to a "yes" than to a "no".

I really think and believe this roster would have exceeded the 100 million mark easily and the best part of it, the best owner in all of sports would have paid it without thinking twice. Seeing these two alumni teams just proves how stupid and boring the league has become post 2005.

Guest Playmaker

I know this won't be popular, and I'm really happy that he's going to play, but it sort of burns my ass that it was such a begrudging acceptance. If the game had been played last year like it was supposed to, we'd have never seen him in the Winged Wheel again.

Good for him finally coming around, but this is one fan who would have liked to see it happen differently. When you play for one team your whole career and captain them to 3 Stanley Cups, occasionally you're going to be asked to do things like this, even if you're another team's GM. Ya know? Because it's hockey and we sort of take tradition seriously in this game.

I didn't really care for all the drama. It isn't like no one knew this was happening. It was years in the making. All that "oh, is there an alumni game? I hadn't thought about it" Come on, man