• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

Too bad Petr wasn't playing last night in GR...we could have used  him and might have won the game had he been there.  Oh well...

Posted Image

#22 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

A player with no history of anything more than a bruise on the knee all of the sudden tweaks his knee after a series of games where he's been sub-par at best. And its so happens that it's so bad while there is no indication or MRI or anything they are scratching him and calling up a Mrazek over 24 hours before the game. To me this screams 'he needs a couple days to sort out his head before they can try playing him again' move.

i think its funny how fan opinion of howard has spiraled out of control. if you look at goalies with more than 10 games, howard is 28 out of 45 in save percentage. so even though he is having a bad season, thats still middle of the road. now, with a contract like his, expectations are higher than middle of the road. i get that. but people act as if he has been atrocious or something. gustavsson has been great and i am glad he has gotten a good number of starts. but the best goaltender in our organization is still jimmy howard. and if we want any legitimate playoff aspirations in the next few seasons, it means howard in goal.

let me throw out a little stat here:

the highest save percentage gustavsson has ever had in a season: 90.2

the lowest save percentage howard has ever had in a season: 90.8 (excluding his seasons with 4 or less games played)

gustavsson is playing great right now. but its a hot streak, nothing more. i for one am still behind howard. i feel the majority of his goals are due to poor defense not poor goaltending.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#23 wingslionstigers

wingslionstigers

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

I don't have a problem with Howard he played fantastic for us in the playoffs and as long as he keeps that up I have no problems.

He does suck at shootouts and breakaways though. Hes a good positional goaltender but when it comes to reflex saves he is weak. I know we haven't been scoring a lot in shootouts but Howard hasn't made to many saves either, can't win shootouts when you give up 2 out of 3 shots or more per shootout. That third shot last game Howard didn't even react, not even an inch. He bites on the shooters first most almost everytime.

#24 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

i think its funny how fan opinion of howard has spiraled out of control. if you look at goalies with more than 10 games, howard is 28 out of 45 in save percentage. so even though he is having a bad season, thats still middle of the road. now, with a contract like his, expectations are higher than middle of the road. i get that. but people act as if he has been atrocious or something. gustavsson has been great and i am glad he has gotten a good number of starts. but the best goaltender in our organization is still jimmy howard. and if we want any legitimate playoff aspirations in the next few seasons, it means howard in goal.

let me throw out a little stat here:

the highest save percentage gustavsson has ever had in a season: 90.2

the lowest save percentage howard has ever had in a season: 90.8 (excluding his seasons with 4 or less games played)

gustavsson is playing great right now. but its a hot streak, nothing more. i for one am still behind howard. i feel the majority of his goals are due to poor defense not poor goaltending.

Well said.

Also, Howard hasn't let in any really terrible goals either. And other than a game or two, hasn't gotten completely lit up. At the same time Monster's had some scary moments with rebound control and positioning.

But Gustavsson is finging ways to help the team win, and Howard isn't. That's where this skewed impression of Howard's performance is coming from.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#25 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

@HeleneStJames: #redwings G Jimmy Howard tweaked left knee making save on Daniel Cleary Wednesday. Getting MRI Friday but doesn't think it's serious.

I KNEW IT

CLEARY

*shakes fist*

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#26 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

"@AnsarKhanMLive: Howard said he's hoping he's out only 1-2 weeks but not sure until MRI tom. Hurt when he kicked out his knee to make save end of practice"

#27 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

@NOTHeleneStJames: Cleary did not score on the play

Edited by Echolalia, 12 December 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#28 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

@NOTHeleneStJames: Cleary did not score on the play

We all already knew that lol

#29 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

Howard played great last game for 2 periods. Then in the 3rd and the shoutout looked totally lost. That's how it's been all season

#30 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:58 PM

Great, so Petr gets to sit for 2 weeks :glare:

#31 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:34 AM

He also gets to spend time with the team,get to know the guys, get to learn a little bit more about the NHL.  Train with NHL players, train with NHL coaches.  He may even get a game or two.

It all helps with the transition in 2014 or 2015 when he becomes Jimmys backup.  2 weeks isn't going to kill his development.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#32 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Detroit Red Wings ‏@DetroitRedWings 39m

UPDATE: The #RedWings have sent goalie Petr Mrazek to the @griffinshockey.

Per twitter: https://twitter.com/....83747992551425