• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

12/12 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Lightning 2 (SO)

Rate this topic

If this was another half season i'd be more concerned. Knowing how many games still remain, that our point total so far this season all problems aside is surprisingly good, and that Zett will return, i'm not giving up hope that this squad can still contend and make playoffs. Even if Howard continues to struggle who can argue that Monster isn't a viable option until Jimmy picks it back up?

Yeah, but the only way to know if Howard has "picked it back up" is to...play him over Gus.

My wife loves that show, too funny. You've got to love the Londo Mallari hairdo. Fortunately I didn't have any liquid in my mouth when I saw the pic, or I'd have snarfed.

And another PK. Kill it and hit Tatar coming out of the box for a breakaway GWG. Let's Go Wings!!

I wasn't ready for that photo... Swallowed Skoal.

I also hate Bertuzzi on this team. Cleary has been better and isn't a bad 4th liner. No way he should be on the PP though it's ridiculous. Bertuzzi can only cycle and stand in front of the net

I'm also over the whole net front presence as well. Nobody is as good as Homer was. You don't just stand there you have to watch the play and help move the puck around. There's a time for it and there's a time to help along the boards. When's the last time we scored off a tip from the point. Our Defense couldn't hit the net to save there life or get it past the forward directly in front of them

Yeah, but the only way to know if Howard has "picked it back up" is to...play him over Gus.

Howard is injured, not an option right now. He's really gonna be off his game if he starts now with a bad knee.

A question: Can you lose eleven straight shootouts and still be considered a "skill team"?

I consider it like this.

Before the shootout there were ties. Even though people conceive these 11 OT losses as part of our loss total, before the shootout existed these "losses" would have been ties at the same point total. Only difference is between a tie and a SO loss is the added event after the 5 minute OT period to declare a winner and loser. There is virtually no difference between the tie and the OT loss, it just sounds much better to say 15 wins 9 losses 9 ties opposed to 15 wins 9 losses 9 overtime losses because people like to say "Well thats just like saying we are 15-18 on the season".

It really isn't, because you are still rewarded for the OT loss with a point, and that value hasn't changed at all. So considering the system that is based on points, when you say 15-9-9 with 18 being losses it doesn't sound that great. You look at the point total and it's good enough to be in a respectable playoff position.

Just a different perspective from someone that was a bigger fan of the pre-shootout NHL regular season layout. Its points over wins/losses considering losses can now award you points.

I also hate Bertuzzi on this team. Cleary has been better and isn't a bad 4th liner. No way he should be on the PP though it's ridiculous. Bertuzzi can only cycle and stand in front of the net

I'm also over the whole net front presence as well. Nobody is as good as Homer was. You don't just stand there you have to watch the play and help move the puck around. There's a time for it and there's a time to help along the boards. When's the last time we scored off a tip from the point. Our Defense couldn't hit the net to save there life or get it past the forward directly in front of them

Oh yah? How about you go back to the first part of the season when Bert was playing fantastic along with Pavs and Hank. The season is long bud and I am sure you, like many others, loved Bert at that time. Bert just got back from injury, so how about you give him a couple more games to get up to game speed.

Also, I don't know what games you watch, but Cleary has NOT been better. He is an awful player. The guy can't skate, the guy can't pass, the guy can't shoot, the guy has zero hockey sense, the guy just flat out sucks and he is a shell of his former self. You are right to say he has no place on the powerplay, but neither does Sammy and Kindl for that matter. Kindl is just such a bad quarterback for the powerplay 2nd unit... I have no idea why Babs doesn't give Smith a chance. Smith can skate the puck wayyyyyyyyyy better then Kindl, Smith can move the puck wayyyyyyyy better then Kindl, and Smith doesn't sit around deking the puck back and forth on his stick for 10 seconds until he gives the puck away like Kindl does. I think the PP#2 unit next game should be:

Tatar-Franzen-Nyquist

Kronwall/ Alfie-Smith

I see no reason why Kronners or Alfie cannot stay out the entire 2 minutes of the powerplay. Having Kindl not on the point for the 2nd unit will do wonders.

I laughed a lot when I read this...

Main problem with our PP is the wrong guys have the puck too much. Kindl and Samuelsson have it all the time on the 2nd unit. Kindl thinks he's Datsyuk sometimes. On the 1st unit Datsyuk should have the puck 90% of the time, but instead it often goes via Franzen to Bert and then the play is dead because Bert is a giveaway machine. There's also too heavy a focus on shots from the point, which simply doesn't work when we don't have Lids and Raffi back there. Alfie has a good shot but he should move in closer to the net. Move the puck down low more. Nyquist and Dats have enough skill to thread passes through there for great scoring chances.

I laughed a lot when I read this...

He's a 4th liner you people make him seem like he's Weiss and supposed to be scoring. I don't notice him not playing Defense, cherry picking and turning over the puck like I do Bertuzzi. When he's on the top 6 that is unacceptable.

EDIT: I see it read like I was saying Cleary has been better than Bert but that's not what I meant. I was just saying that Cleary has been playing better than he usually has. I think Bertuzzi has more to offer offensively but still far from a top 6 player

Edited by joesuffP

On the bright side, we have the 2nd fewest regulation losses in the East.........:D

I know everyone is weeping and wailing over our shoot-out record, but lets be honest if we were 6-0 in the SO people would just be bitching and moaning that our record is artificially inflated, we still suck, will lose in the playoffs etc etc etc.

blame Howard for this one guys..

EDIT: Howie is stuck in the gustavson role from last year. "You didn't play well in that last game so we're not gonna give you consecutive games to get consistent. We'll only play you in the venues that our team somehow plays like s*** everygame (home games this year)"

Gus has been stellar, but it's always refreshing hooking up with your girlfriend, but in the end, you always conclude that your wife is better and that you made a huge mistake.

Edited by CMatt89

I know i will be lambasted for saying this but boy would it be nice to have Brunner in the shootout. I bet we would have won half of these games.

Brunner's scoring percentage in the shootout is 22.2%, good for what would be 9th on the Wings. Edited by nawein

EDIT: Howie is stuck in the gustavson role from last year. "You didn't play well in that last game so we're not gonna give you consecutive games to get consistent. We'll only play you in the venues that our team somehow plays like s*** everygame (home games this year)"

Gus has been stellar, but it's always refreshing hooking up with your girlfriend, but in the end, you always conclude that your wife is better and that you made a huge mistake.

Howard is injured and has played like twice as many games as Gustavsson. Gustavsson has earned every game he has played this season and has a 1.5GAA in his (recent) two losses. If we were playing to win, it would be Monster's goal to lose as we near the halfway point of the season. He looks like he is going to stop everything, just needs goal support.

Howard has been a dog all season.

Edited by b.shanafan14

Howard is injured, not an option right now. He's really gonna be off his game if he starts now with a bad knee.

I consider it like this.

Before the shootout there were ties. Even though people conceive these 11 OT losses as part of our loss total, before the shootout existed these "losses" would have been ties at the same point total. Only difference is between a tie and a SO loss is the added event after the 5 minute OT period to declare a winner and loser. There is virtually no difference between the tie and the OT loss, it just sounds much better to say 15 wins 9 losses 9 ties opposed to 15 wins 9 losses 9 overtime losses because people like to say "Well thats just like saying we are 15-18 on the season".

It really isn't, because you are still rewarded for the OT loss with a point, and that value hasn't changed at all. So considering the system that is based on points, when you say 15-9-9 with 18 being losses it doesn't sound that great. You look at the point total and it's good enough to be in a respectable playoff position.

Just a different perspective from someone that was a bigger fan of the pre-shootout NHL regular season layout. Its points over wins/losses considering losses can now award you points.

I agree with what you're saying. But I'm just talking about the "skill" side of things. The shootout is basically a skills competition, and our big thing, or team identity, is that we kill with skill. How many opposing players and coaches have said, "...and they're a really good team, a lot of skill and talent. If you give them chances like that, they're going to bury them"? I mean, I realize that "skill" means more than just being able to score on a 1-on-1 with the goalie. But still.

On the bright side, we have the 2nd fewest regulation losses in the East......... :D

I know everyone is weeping and wailing over our shoot-out record, but lets be honest if we were 6-0 in the SO people would just be bitching and moaning that our record is artificially inflated, we still suck, will lose in the playoffs etc etc etc.

That first point is not insignificant. It means we're really hard to beat in regulation. (And that's mostly without a totally healthy and humming lineup.) Which is encouraging.

As for the second point - you're probably right! But I'd rather be 6-0 than 0-6. :paperbag3: We'd be first in the league if we didn't absolutely suck at shootouts. That's a sobering thought.

As for the second point - you're probably right! But I'd rather be 6-0 than 0-6. :paperbag3: We'd be first in the league if we didn't absolutely suck at shootouts. That's a sobering thought.

Unfortunately, since they are no longer ties, we are leaving points on the table. It has become part of the game, no matter how much we all hate it, and we have the personnel to get it done. And yet here we sit, dead last in the league in OT/Shootout record 1-9. That is 1 out of a possible 10 in "winner" points. To make matters worse, 5 losses have come leading after the 1st period and 4 after squandering a lead through 2 periods.