Photo
- - - - -

12/12 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Lightning 2 (SO)

• Please log in to reply
357 replies to this topic

#321 SimonSin

SimonSin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

I know we all can do without Cleary and Sammy but I'm over the Todd Bertuzzi experiment as well. He would not even be on some teams third line. I just can't with him anymore.

#322 Mike J.

Mike J.

Rookie

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

All terribleness aside I think we gotta acknowledge that Monster looked stellar out there. He gave the boys every damn chance to win this game.

#323 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

This is all because Holland chose Franzen over Hossa. No, really. I saw the flash-sideways. Franzen/Hossa is our Flight 815.

Love the Lost reference.
The Wings are stuck in shootout purgatory.

Edited by wings87, 12 December 2013 - 11:14 PM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#324 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,060 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

All terribleness aside I think we gotta acknowledge that Monster looked stellar out there. He gave the boys every damn chance to win this game.

LOL, this season is so bizarro-world. And yet, it's exactly what we've come to expect from the Wings.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#325 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

If this was another half season i'd be more concerned. Knowing how many games still remain, that our point total so far this season all problems aside is surprisingly good, and that Zett will return, i'm not giving up hope that this squad can still contend and make playoffs. Even if Howard continues to struggle who can argue that Monster isn't a viable option until Jimmy picks it back up?

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#326 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

One of these days we'll win a shootout and it will be glorious, the skies will open up and god will smile down on us.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#327 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

If this was another half season i'd be more concerned. Knowing how many games still remain, that our point total so far this season all problems aside is surprisingly good, and that Zett will return, i'm not giving up hope that this squad can still contend and make playoffs. Even if Howard continues to struggle who can argue that Monster isn't a viable option until Jimmy picks it back up?

Yeah, but the only way to know if Howard has "picked it back up" is to...play him over Gus.

#328 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

My wife loves that show, too funny. You've got to love the Londo Mallari hairdo. Fortunately I didn't have any liquid in my mouth when I saw the pic, or I'd have snarfed.

And another PK. Kill it and hit Tatar coming out of the box for a breakaway GWG. Let's Go Wings!!

I wasn't ready for that photo... Swallowed Skoal.

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#329 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,060 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

A question: Can you lose eleven straight shootouts and still be considered a "skill team"?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#330 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

I also hate Bertuzzi on this team. Cleary has been better and isn't a bad 4th liner. No way he should be on the PP though it's ridiculous. Bertuzzi can only cycle and stand in front of the net

I'm also over the whole net front presence as well. Nobody is as good as Homer was. You don't just stand there you have to watch the play and help move the puck around. There's a time for it and there's a time to help along the boards. When's the last time we scored off a tip from the point. Our Defense couldn't hit the net to save there life or get it past the forward directly in front of them

#331 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

Yeah, but the only way to know if Howard has "picked it back up" is to...play him over Gus.

Howard is injured, not an option right now. He's really gonna be off his game if he starts now with a bad knee.

A question: Can you lose eleven straight shootouts and still be considered a "skill team"?

I consider it like this. 

Before the shootout there were ties. Even though people conceive these 11 OT losses as part of our loss total,  before the shootout existed these "losses" would have been ties at the same point total. Only difference is between a tie and a SO loss is the added event after the 5 minute OT period to declare a winner and loser. There is virtually no difference between the tie and the OT loss, it just sounds much better to say 15 wins 9 losses 9 ties opposed to 15 wins 9 losses 9 overtime losses because people like to say "Well thats just like saying we are 15-18 on the season". 

It really isn't, because you are still rewarded for the OT loss with a point, and that value hasn't changed at all. So considering the system that is based on points, when you say 15-9-9 with 18 being losses it doesn't sound that great. You look at the point total and it's good enough to be in a respectable playoff position. 

Just a different perspective from someone that was a bigger fan of the pre-shootout NHL regular season layout. Its points over wins/losses considering losses can now award you points.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#332 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:49 PM

I also hate Bertuzzi on this team. Cleary has been better and isn't a bad 4th liner. No way he should be on the PP though it's ridiculous. Bertuzzi can only cycle and stand in front of the net

I'm also over the whole net front presence as well. Nobody is as good as Homer was. You don't just stand there you have to watch the play and help move the puck around. There's a time for it and there's a time to help along the boards. When's the last time we scored off a tip from the point. Our Defense couldn't hit the net to save there life or get it past the forward directly in front of them

Oh yah? How about you go back to the first part of the season when Bert was playing fantastic along with Pavs and Hank. The season is long bud and I am sure you, like many others, loved Bert at that time. Bert just got back from injury, so how about you give him a couple more games to get up to game speed.

Also, I don't know what games you watch, but Cleary has NOT been better. He is an awful player. The guy can't skate, the guy can't pass, the guy can't shoot, the guy has zero hockey sense, the guy just flat out sucks and he is a shell of his former self. You are right to say he has no place on the powerplay, but neither does Sammy and Kindl for that matter. Kindl is just such a bad quarterback for the powerplay 2nd unit... I have no idea why Babs doesn't give Smith a chance. Smith can skate the puck wayyyyyyyyyy better then Kindl, Smith can move the puck wayyyyyyyy better then Kindl, and Smith doesn't sit around deking the puck back and forth on his stick for 10 seconds until he gives the puck away like Kindl does. I think the PP#2 unit next game should be:

Tatar-Franzen-Nyquist

Kronwall/ Alfie-Smith 

I see no reason why Kronners or Alfie cannot stay out the entire 2 minutes of the powerplay. Having Kindl not on the point for the 2nd unit will do wonders.

#333 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

Oh jeez SHDD :glare: for the Wings.  Glad I missed it.

#334 Aznknight

Aznknight

Rookie

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

We like our team

#335 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:42 AM

SO loss eh?  Didn't see that coming.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#336 jthiel86

jthiel86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:54 AM

I laughed a lot when I read this...

#337 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:05 AM

Main problem with our PP is the wrong guys have the puck too much. Kindl and Samuelsson have it all the time on the 2nd unit. Kindl thinks he's Datsyuk sometimes. On the 1st unit Datsyuk should have the puck 90% of the time, but instead it often goes via Franzen to Bert and then the play is dead because Bert is a giveaway machine. There's also too heavy a focus on shots from the point, which simply doesn't work when we don't have Lids and Raffi back there. Alfie has a good shot but he should move in closer to the net. Move the puck down low more. Nyquist and Dats have enough skill to thread passes through there for great scoring chances.

#338 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:08 AM

So how long until we see someone fired or a player gone? This is getting stupid.

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#339 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:15 AM

I laughed a lot when I read this...

He's a 4th liner you people make him seem like he's Weiss and supposed to be scoring. I don't notice him not playing Defense, cherry picking and turning over the puck like I do Bertuzzi. When he's on the top 6 that is unacceptable.

EDIT: I see it read like I was saying Cleary has been better than Bert but that's not what I meant. I was just saying that Cleary has been playing better than he usually has. I think Bertuzzi has more to offer offensively but still far from a top 6 player

Edited by joesuffP, 13 December 2013 - 01:41 AM.

#340 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:29 AM

Left when we were leading 1-0.  Came home OT loss ... why am I not surprised?