• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

I feel like Calgary actually has some pretty decent talent that they've drafted recently, but from what I've heard today it seems like Burke isn't too high on a few of those guys.

they always draft guys they are excited about but then they never pan out... heck look at baertschi; 12 or 18 months ago he was the second coming of iginla. fans and media were super pumped about him. now he is a vast underachiever that just got sent down. before that, they were super pumped about backlund. thought he could finally be a creative center for iginla to play with. hes put up a whopping 73 points in 200 games.

they have a pretty good history of not developing talent. an the worst part is often when they at least develop servicable nhl'ers they leave and then play better in other places. (nystrom, mcelhinney, and prust are examples)

heck even look at their captain giordano. he had to go play in russia for a year because they didnt want to offer him a contract. luckily he managed to develop, but they even tried to screw that one up!

and just to clarify a couple things - i am not saying baertschi is a flop. he still has plenty of time to turn it around. and i am also not saying guys like prust and nystrom went on to be stars. just that they were more successful after leaving calgary.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.