• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
seenitall

Wheres Mickey?

Rate this topic

I think the content of what Ozzie says is very good. He just needs to learn to be more dynamic in how he talks.

I thought with Mick it was celiac disease or something like that. Which isn't really a reason not to travel these days. You can get a fair amount of gluten free stuff in most cities. Maybe he just doesn't like traveling anymore after so many years. I can't really blame him.

I thought with Mick it was celiac disease or something like that. Which isn't really a reason not to travel these days. You can get a fair amount of gluten free stuff in most cities. Maybe he just doesn't like traveling anymore after so many years. I can't really blame him.

I'm pretty sure he had cancer. I think I've even heard Ken reference it and say something like "but you're all over that now, right?" I don't have a source for that though.

Actually, I do...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=601075

Redmond has also battled lung cancer twice and continues to live with Celiac disease, which requires that he eat a strict specialized diet.

Mick doesn't travel because his diet requires gluten free food. At least that's what he said last year. He talked about it a lot.

Edit: Would anyone like to see Drapes give it a shot? He seems more personable than Ozzie.

Edited by jthiel86

Mickey has celiac. Different people have different needs. Some just can't eat gluten; others can't eat anything that has been prepared with something that has previously been used to prepare something with gluten (not sure what extreme that goes to).

IOW, he has to eat food prepared in a gluten-free kitchen. My cousin's daughter has celiac. She can eat food prepared in their kitchen, but her food has to be kept separately. They also have to clean surfaces very well after they prepare food that has gluten.

Both of my sisters have gluten-intolerances. One can't eat it at all; the other can eat some now and then, but has to return to a strict gluten-free diet afterwards.

At Mickey's age, I can see why he would rather not travel unless it's the playoffs.

Ozzie's getting better. I still miss Murph, but I think once Ozzie loosens up, he'll be fine. I saw a recent picture of Murph. He really needs to go back to the old haircut and ditch the glasses. Aside from the smile, he is not the same Murph I fell in love with all those years ago.

MIck hasnt been doing road trips for a couple years now. I think he goes on the road if its a quick one or two day trip but thats all. I like the information Ozzie gives but he just doesn't have the tone or voice to be the color guy. I think hes a heck of a lot better doing intermission analysis than up in the booth.

MIck hasnt been doing road trips for a couple years now. I think he goes on the road if its a quick one or two day trip but thats all. I like the information Ozzie gives but he just doesn't have the tone or voice to be the color guy. I think hes a heck of a lot better doing intermission analysis than up in the booth.

He'd be better suited for between the benches, tbh

I love Ozzie,but it seems like he doesn't want to criticize the Wings players and only points the good plays.I understand he's pretty close to the most of them,but come on man,you're not in the locker room anymore :lol:

He's a rookie announcer,he could change,but Mickey's..."take a good look young hockey players" style is what I prefer more.

Guest Playmaker

I think the content of what Ozzie says is very good. He just needs to learn to be more dynamic in how he talks.

I thought with Mick it was celiac disease or something like that. Which isn't really a reason not to travel these days. You can get a fair amount of gluten free stuff in most cities. Maybe he just doesn't like traveling anymore after so many years. I can't really blame him

You can find gluten free products in grocery stores, but when you have a severe food intolerance, eating out is a nightmare. You just never know how food is prepared or what might not be listed on the menu. Mickey was saying once, he pretty much had to pack all his own food and have a room with a microwave or sneak in a hot plate to try and get a "safe" meal. I can understand why he doesn't want to travel.

Guest Playmaker

Mick doesn't travel because his diet requires gluten free food. At least that's what he said last year. He talked about it a lot.

Edit: Would anyone like to see Drapes give it a shot? He seems more personable than Ozzie.

I'd have to think that Draper wasn't interested in the job, because I can't see how Ozzie would have been hired over him. He's much more conversational and is much more comfortable in front of the camera than Ozzie is.

Homer.

Homer has a good sense of humor and is a big goofball, but that robotic sounding voice would drive me bats*** if I had to listen to it for any length of time.

Love Ozzie but he sounds like he needs to catch his breath after 2 or 3 sentences

Yes, this. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it does sound like that and it's distracting and irritating to listen to.

Draper would have been great! He's always made me laugh, he's very clever and comfortable with the media. So was Ozzie, though, when he played. I have wondered what his issues are with the on-air situation, but then again - he's a goalie. By definition, they're all odd - perhaps Ozzie less so than most? They all seem to be different people on the ice hiding behind their masks and clad in hockey armour. Maybe that's it. Put a helmet on him. ;)

I am a raving Mickey-Maniac, so I am not truly happy unless I hear his voice on the broadcast. But I can see how he is relieved to not be traveling as much, perhaps. I am really happy I met him last year when the Wings were in Nashville.

Aside from meeting Z, Lids, and Dom (years ago), getting to meet Mickey might have been my favorite meet-the-Red-Wing moment. :wub: