• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SportsRadioDetroit

Larry Murphy Talks Winter Classic, Red Wings and More on Sports Radio

Rate this topic

In the latest edition of Red Wings SRD, former Red Wings defenseman, Stanley Cup champion and Hockey Hall of Famer Larry Murphy discusses the NHL Winter Classic/Alumni Showdown, what it’s like to broadcast at the national level and how the Red Wings will fair in the second half of the season.

To hear the complete interview, head over to SportsRadioDetroit.com

Guest Playmaker

If I was Murphy and I heard how poorly Osgood was performing, I wouldn't be too happy. Its one thing to be canned for someone better, but Osgood is not better and maybe even a little worse.

If I was Murphy and I heard how poorly Osgood was performing, I wouldn't be too happy. Its one thing to be canned for someone better, but Osgood is not better and maybe even a little worse.

Murphy was not fired because FSD wanted Osgood, as evidenced by the fact that Osgood didn't take a position until nearly a year after Murph was fired.

Where'd you get this idea that Murphy was fired for Osgood?

Guest Playmaker

Murphy was not fired because FSD wanted Osgood, as evidenced by the fact that Osgood didn't take a position until nearly a year after Murph was fired.

Where'd you get this idea that Murphy was fired for Osgood?

Huh? Murphy was fired at the end of March, 2013 near the end of the hockey season. Mickey Redmond filled in for the rest of the year and first round of the playoffs. Osgood started the 2013-14 season as the fill in color analyst for Mickey Redmond, and the second studio analyst with Daren Elliot while Mickey is in the booth, the exact position held by Larry Murphy. That's where I got that idea. Where did you get the idea that Osgood didn't replace Murphy? Who did he replace? Very confusing post.

Murph was fired because his position was no longer needed.

Ozzie was hired to fill the position that Murph had vacated.

Not a direct replacement, but a replacement nonetheless. And a whole lot of hooey.

Edited by 55fan

Guest Playmaker

Your initial post implied you though Murph was fired specifically to bring Osgood in.

Osgood was brought in because they needed someone to fill in Murphs spot after they had fired him.

Didn't mean to imply that Osgood was waiting in the wings and so they bumped Murphy just to hire him, but clearly, they didn't fire Murphy as a cost savings by eliminating the position or because Mickey wanted to start traveling again as was sort of implied at first. It seems as though it was performance related. So if that is the case, someone was hired to take his place that is not outperforming him and if that were me, that'd kind of piss me off a bit.

Huh? Murphy was fired at the end of March, 2013 near the end of the hockey season. Mickey Redmond filled in for the rest of the year and first round of the playoffs. Osgood started the 2013-14 season as the fill in color analyst for Mickey Redmond, and the second studio analyst with Daren Elliot while Mickey is in the booth, the exact position held by Larry Murphy. That's where I got that idea. Where did you get the idea that Osgood didn't replace Murphy? Who did he replace? Very confusing post.

I'm guess I'm confused. Are you saying that FSD fired Murphy specifically so that they could hire Osgood, or that Murphy was fired for whatever reason and then Osgood ended up getting the vacant position? I was under the impression that Murphy was fired for some unknown reason, but I never got the idea that he was fired because they wanted Osgood and/or Elliot more?

Anyway, I agree that Murphy was better.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Playmaker

I think I clarified that although I don't really know what difference it makes. Murphy was fired. He sucked. Osgood was hired to take his place and sucks just as much if not more. So whether they had Osgood in mind specifically or held an open audition and he was hired because of his talent (?), it would kind of be rubbing salt in the wound if I were Murph. Like if your wife dumps you for a hot, young stud with a ton of cash, you don't like it, but at least you can sort of understand it. But if she dumps you for an unemployed, old fat guy who still lives with his mother, it leaves you somewhat baffled.

Anyone else notice the concerted effort of the FSD team to make sure they never mention Larry Murphy by name? Over the last few weeks with the alumni games coming up, they show players on the ice practicing and talking about each guy and whatnot, and then Murphy is skating and they have the camera on him for a good 5 seconds. No ones speaks during that time and as soon as another player is on the screen they start talking about that guy. And when they talk about all the greats that will be there, they usually manage to never mention Murphy what-so-ever. Maybe it's just me, but it's like he's been banished and has now become the new "He-whose-name-shall-not-be-spoken". If true, that's too bad.

Guest DeGraa55

I liked Murphy a lot.

I like the stuff Osgood says more. He has a lot of intelligent things to say...he just doesn't say them well yet.

Guest Playmaker

I just don't see Ozzie improving all that much because the things he needs to work on are more personality type things. He's a "low talker" and always has been and the out of breath thing. Timing can be worked on, looking at the camera and being comfortable with that can be improved. But I don't think you can make a quiet, not especially talkative person into an outgoing storyteller.

Anyone else notice the concerted effort of the FSD team to make sure they never mention Larry Murphy by name? Over the last few weeks with the alumni games coming up, they show players on the ice practicing and talking about each guy and whatnot, and then Murphy is skating and they have the camera on him for a good 5 seconds. No ones speaks during that time and as soon as another player is on the screen they start talking about that guy. And when they talk about all the greats that will be there, they usually manage to never mention Murphy what-so-ever. Maybe it's just me, but it's like he's been banished and has now become the new "He-whose-name-shall-not-be-spoken". If true, that's too bad.

They're basking in awe.