• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rick zombo

Eaves and Glendening Recalled: Emmerton Sent Down

Rate this topic

Per Official Detroit Red Wings (via Facebook)

Sorry, no link. My Interwebs are partially broken.

Glenfiddich most likely to replace Emmerton on the forth line. I wonder if Eaves is in for Sammy, Cleary or Bert?

edit: link

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/red-wings-will-be-without-howard-for-2-4-weeks-wings-recall-eaves-glendenin

Edited by rick zombo

All I can say is good, the love affair with Emmerton has to end.

That's a poor choice of words. Emmerton's only in the line-up because of injuries. He most certainly has no future in Detroit and that's generally understood by everyone.

You want to talk love affairs? There are more obvious guys to target.

Edited by rick zombo

That's a poor choice of words. Emmerton's only in the line-up because of injuries. He most certainly has no future in Detroit and that's generally understood by everyone.

You want to talk love affairs? There are more obvious guys to target.

Wasn't targeting him, its just that we had to suffer through his play last year and I just don't want to do it again. When Z went down Glendening was a better choice and yet Emmerton still got the call over him. As far as the obvious guys I get your point but they have been beaten on enough no point to keep harping on them.

The only reason Emmerton was called up is because his was the cheapest salary and the only one they could fit under the cap. With Z on LTIR (and possibly Howard to follow) and having done nothing of note, there was no reason to keep him up.

OTOH, the call up of Glendenning is baffling. Callahan and Sheahan are out of options next season, so why we wouldn't call them up to get a good look at them I don't know.

The only reason Emmerton was called up is because his was the cheapest salary and the only one they could fit under the cap. With Z on LTIR (and possibly Howard to follow) and having done nothing of note, there was no reason to keep him up.

OTOH, the call up of Glendenning is baffling. Callahan and Sheahan are out of options next season, so why we wouldn't call them up to get a good look at them I don't know.

Are they any good in shootouts?

In other news... EAVES!!!!! :yowza:

I agree completely with Nev, not entirely sure what the mind set is here.

In regards to the call ups, I don't see any reason why we don't play the game with a 4th line of Eaves, Glendening, Sammy with Cleary the odd man out. Then again, logic hasn't quite lived up to expectations thus far so who knows.

OMG they finally send emmerton back down but instead of calling up callahan/sheahan/ferraro up to see what they can do (since there out of waiver options next season) they call up glendening and eaves??!!

what the hell's up with all this glendening love , hes a reliable 4th line player, but those type of players are a dime a dozen , hes not gonna score and neither is eaves and detroit desperatly needs GOALS

6'2 sheahan could of contributed , speedy ferraro , agitating callahan ... alot of fans been asking for nyquist and tatar here since last season and there finally up and easily 2 of our best forwards ... this just frustrating

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

I can't say definitively that Ferraro will never make the NHL, because I don't follow him that closely. But every time I do read about him, the article is about how he's underperforming or not quite the all around player needed to make the NHL. With so many (almost) sure-fire hits in the pipeline, I wouldn't spend much time giving Ferraro a chance.

I guess Sheahan could have been called up, but Glendening has done very well since he's up here. I'm not sure Sheahan would perform any better at this moment.

whoa! Someone said this exact scenario should happen in the last GDT...kudos to you and your psychic abilities!

I think we'll get more out of Eaves than Cleary, Sammy and Emmerton combined...

We've always gotten more out of Eaves than those three combined. Pretty much anyone contributes more than those three combined.

We've always gotten more out of Eaves than those three combined. Pretty much anyone contributes more than those three combined.

Eaves was injured for a long stretch with a concussion, before that injury Cleary was pretty useful still. So saying we've always gotten more out of eaves than we did out of Cleary is quite a stretch, maybe now we will, but it has not always been the case.

Really? 'Always'? That's garbage. No one seems to remember that Samuelsson and Cleary played any seasons on this team other than last year and this year.

Guest Crymson

Great, now send down Cleary and bring up Tootoo. There's clearly nothing but loyalty keeping the former up while the latter, who has so much more to offer, toils in the minors.

what the hell's up with all this glendening love , hes a reliable 4th line player, but those type of players are a dime a dozen , hes not gonna score and neither is eaves and detroit desperatly needs GOALS

6'2 sheahan could of contributed , speedy ferraro , agitating callahan ... alot of fans been asking for nyquist and tatar here since last season and there finally up and easily 2 of our best forwards ... this just frustrating

Sheahan, Ferraro, and Callahan are all fourth-line maybes in the NHL at this point in their careers, at least in the Wings' system. Granted, so is Glendening, but he had a solid training camp, he was the only Griffin who showed up to that orientation camp, he's a right-handed shot, all he does is win, and he's just a really likeable guy. With about 4,000 of our top centers out, he - a centerman - just makes that much more sense.

Again, there isn't a huge difference between Glendening and the other three. But I think there's an enough to give him the edge at this point in time, in terms of comfort and reliability and the all-important Coach's Trust.

Bring the other three up when things are more stable and we're not absolutely desperate for as many points as we can possibly win (the Atlantic race is ridiculously tight right now. Very, very, very little separation in the top 4-5) and we can get a better sense of what they'd look like on an actual Red Wings team (as opposed to one where Andersson could be the second-line center).

Edited by Dabura

Great, now send down Cleary and bring up Tootoo. There's clearly nothing but loyalty keeping the former up while the latter, who has so much more to offer, toils in the minors.

I dunno if I'd say he has "so much more to offer." He's fast, speedy, physical, aggressive, gritty. He's a good energy guy. But he'd get sheltered minutes and zone starts on the fourth line, he wouldn't play on the PP or PK or in any key situations, and he wouldn't be counted on to put up points or provide especially responsible defense or leadership.

Not that I wouldn't take him over Cleary in a heartbeat. But let's not kid ourselves, Tootoo is a plug. An awesome plug, yes - but a plug nonetheless.

Guest Crymson

I dunno if I'd say he has "so much more to offer." He's fast, speedy, physical, aggressive, gritty. He's a good energy guy. But he'd get sheltered minutes and zone starts on the fourth line, he wouldn't play on the PP or PK or in any key situations, and he wouldn't be counted on to put up points or provide especially responsible defense or leadership.

Not that I wouldn't take him over Cleary in a heartbeat. But let's not kid ourselves, Tootoo is a plug. An awesome plug, yes - but a plug nonetheless.

Cleary is worse than a plug. He's slow, he can't hit, he can't play with energy, he's useless on the PP, and he's unnecessary on the PK.

Yes, because the seasons they played when they were slightly better than useless are a great help to us now.

There's a perfect example of refusing to admit to fault. Cleary and Samuelsson were a damned sight more valuable than "slightly better than useless" during their good seasons with the team.