• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

Really?  'Always'?  That's garbage.  No one seems to remember that Samuelsson and Cleary played any seasons on this team other than last year and this year. 

Yes, because the seasons they played when they were slightly better than useless are a great help to us now.

#22 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

Great, now send down Cleary and bring up Tootoo. There's clearly nothing but loyalty keeping the former up while the latter, who has so much more to offer, toils in the minors.

I dunno if I'd say he has "so much more to offer." He's fast, speedy, physical, aggressive, gritty. He's a good energy guy. But he'd get sheltered minutes and zone starts on the fourth line, he wouldn't play on the PP or PK or in any key situations, and he wouldn't be counted on to put up points or provide especially responsible defense or leadership.

Not that I wouldn't take him over Cleary in a heartbeat. But let's not kid ourselves, Tootoo is a plug. An awesome plug, yes - but a plug nonetheless.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#23 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

I dunno if I'd say he has "so much more to offer." He's fast, speedy, physical, aggressive, gritty. He's a good energy guy. But he'd get sheltered minutes and zone starts on the fourth line, he wouldn't play on the PP or PK or in any key situations, and he wouldn't be counted on to put up points or provide especially responsible defense or leadership.

Not that I wouldn't take him over Cleary in a heartbeat. But let's not kid ourselves, Tootoo is a plug. An awesome plug, yes - but a plug nonetheless.

Cleary is worse than a plug. He's slow, he can't hit, he can't play with energy, he's useless on the PP, and he's unnecessary on the PK.

Yes, because the seasons they played when they were slightly better than useless are a great help to us now.

There's a perfect example of refusing to admit to fault. Cleary and Samuelsson were a damned sight more valuable than "slightly better than useless" during their good seasons with the team.

#24 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

Is there anyone else we can bring up besides these guys?  Or is there no one else left that is developed enough to call up?

I keep hearing about these other kids, Jurco, Jarnkrok, Sheahan, Ferraro, etc...

#25 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'm glad Patrick and Luke are back.  Now if you could only get rid of Cleary.

As far as the guys in GR, you've got a nice bunch there, but I think some of them need a bit more seasoning. 

Posted Image

#26 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

In before "Glendening su...".

Oh, wait... that's been covered. A reliable fourth line guy who plays about 20 pounds heavier than he actually is, works his butt off everyday off ice and brings speed and positioning on the PK. Yeah, he's awful.

There's a role and place for guys like Glendening. There's a reason he's being called up. He's a very solid 4th liner with a great attitude.

#27 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

Boring.  Give me Jurco or give me death!

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#28 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

Oh, I see.  So, by 'always,' you meant 'now.'  It all makes so much more sense now..... I mean always.

Also, your understanding of the phrase 'slightly better than useless' is clearly about as good as your understanding of the word 'always.'

#29 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

Cleary is worse than a plug. He's slow, he can't hit, he can't play with energy, he's useless on the PP, and he's unnecessary on the PK.

My point isn't that Cleary is a key piece on this team. We all know Cleary is washed up and probably shouldn't be on the team at all. I'm saying I think it's a stretch to say Tootoo has so much more to offer, in terms of overall value.

Edited by Dabura, 14 December 2013 - 05:11 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#30 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

Great, now send down Cleary and bring up Tootoo. There's clearly nothing but loyalty keeping the former up while the latter, who has so much more to offer, toils in the minors.

Tootoo has 1G 3A in 11 games too! 

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#31 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

My point isn't that Cleary is a key piece on this team. We all know Cleary is washed up and probably shouldn't be on the team at all. I'm saying I think it's a stretch to say Tootoo has so much more to offer, in terms of overall value.

Eaves and Glendening are both superior as well.

#32 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

Boring.  Give me Jurco or give me death!

Well, they're sending up Jurco.  There go my plans for this afternoon.  Guess you get to live.

(just kidding of course)

I'm interested to see what he can bring to the table but if I have to choose between having someone who is proven like Eaves and someone who isn't, I'd rather see Eaves when we have so many important injuries. 

That said, I hope Jurco makes the most of this opportunity to impress.