• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wings87

Rivalries

Rate this topic

Watching the Tampa game last night it struck me that with the the Wings moving out East I find myself really missing the rivalries we have built up in the Western Conference over the years. I miss the Chicago games and the animosity I had built up towards Kane over the years or the games vs Anaheim and how much I wanted the Wings to pound the smirk of Getzlaf's face. Really the only team in the East that I have genuine hatred for is Pittsburgh. Now I know it took years for the Wings to create rivalries in the West and in due time rivalries in the East will be created as well but for the time being I miss the desire I had for the Wings to lay a pounding on certain teams out West. I still look forward to playing games against Montreal, Toronto, or Boston because of the history of those Franchises I just don't yet want to beat them as much as I did Chicago.

On the flip side the games still mean the same and the wins are just as sweet as before, but I just don't get as excited to watch the Wings play the Lightening as I did when we played the Preds. That being said I look forward to building rivalries in the east but in the meantime I will miss the West.

there were stinkers in the west as well. its not like we had a rivalry with edmonton or any number of other teams.

and when looking bigger picture / longer term, we are actually reigniting many more old rivalries that i am sure were much more heated than what we had in the west. once we are here for a few years i am sure the bruins, leafs, canadiens, etc will stir up plenty of emotion so that the weeknight games against the panthers or hurricanes seem worth it.

there were stinkers in the west as well. its not like we had a rivalry with edmonton or any number of other teams.

and when looking bigger picture / longer term, we are actually reigniting many more old rivalries that i am sure were much more heated than what we had in the west. once we are here for a few years i am sure the bruins, leafs, canadiens, etc will stir up plenty of emotion so that the weeknight games against the panthers or hurricanes seem worth it.

I'm sure it will happen it will just take time.

Watching the Tampa game last night it struck me that with the the Wings moving out East I find myself really missing the rivalries we have built up in the Western Conference over the years. I miss the Chicago games and the animosity I had built up towards Kane over the years or the games vs Anaheim and how much I wanted the Wings to pound the smirk of Getzlaf's face. Really the only team in the East that I have genuine hatred for is Pittsburgh. Now I know it took years for the Wings to create rivalries in the West and in due time rivalries in the East will be created as well but for the time being I miss the desire I had for the Wings to lay a pounding on certain teams out West. I still look forward to playing games against Montreal, Toronto, or Boston because of the history of those Franchises I just don't yet want to beat them as much as I did Chicago.

On the flip side the games still mean the same and the wins are just as sweet as before, but I just don't get as excited to watch the Wings play the Lightening as I did when we played the Preds. That being said I look forward to building rivalries in the east but in the meantime I will miss the West.

You must be young. Some of us oldsters still have a deep hatred for Toronto. So glad the Wings can renew that rivalry now.

And just think how sweet it will be when the Wings beat Chicago in the Cup Finals some year. :)

You must be young. Some of us oldsters still have a deep hatred for Toronto. So glad the Wings can renew that rivalry now.

And just think how sweet it will be when the Wings beat Chicago in the Cup Finals some year. :)

Will you have a natural deep seeded hatred for Toronto, or will you have to manufacture the hate? Just curious.

Will you have a natural deep seeded hatred for Toronto, or will you have to manufacture the hate? Just curious.

I was in attendance in '93 when Toronto eliminated Detroit at home in game 7 of the first round of the playoffs. The players may have changed, but the uniforms haven't. I won't need to manufacture any hate. My memory lasts a long time.

I'll give you Pittsburgh though. Hate hate hate the Penguins.

Give the Eastern Conference a year or three and a couple of playoff losses. We will all start to hate the teams in the East.

Don't we all know you, rivalries are born on Wednesday according to NBC so I'm sure Buffalo Sabres NewyorkIslanders and games like that are a huge historic rivalry filled with hatred *laughs*

so far the best rivalvries have ben: TorontoMapleLeafs - MontrealCanadiens and obviously the Pennsylvenia derby between the Philadelphiaflyers and Pittsburghpenguins.

I really wish, some old rivalries can be renewed soon. This league needs real rivalries not that forced crap NBC is trying to create, which is disgusting. This is another reason, why I'm so thrilled with McKee this guy will for sure help to renew some rivalries, guy is going to be the next McGrattan.

Edited by frankgrimes

Absolutely agreed. Growing up, Toronto was Public Enemy Number One, with Chicago a distant second. It was passed on genetically. Chicago was more of a regional rivalry since they sucked pretty hard, but Toronto, they were a deeply hated foe.

There is not a happy dance big or long enough to express my joy at being back in the East.